Buying both Sony MDR-XB1000 and Audio-Technica ES10, any thoughts?
Jul 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
I also have the M50 which look very much like the PRO700MK2, I assume its over ear? I might consider these but I didn't like the M50s compare to ES7

The pro700mk2 are entirely different headphones than M50 and sound more closer to XB500 but slightly less unbalanced so it's not as "muddy" sounding but they seem to share similar kind of frequency response curve though with heavy bass emphasis, mids left on a "neutral" level and highs are a bit rolled off. Not sure about the pads but you can easily also put M50 pads on them which INCREASES bass strength (XB500 levels or so) but it also seems to make mids slightly more recessed.

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #17 of 21
well the way i see it, dt770 have  more depth, and not as "forward".

i would then also agree with the pro 700, pro 900 ultrasone route/direction for more accurate bass and not depth. ive only heard 900s.

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 21
Heya,

Sounds to me like you're wanting more quantity of bass, not quality.

DT770 Pro 80's on an amplifier have excellent bass. When I got my Ultrasone Pro 900's, I didn't think it could get better, but it did. The 900's did the same lows, but they were tight and it didn't take away from the other frequencies, I could still hear the rest of the music. I appreciate being able to have my bass and still have the rest of the spectrum. 900's gave me that. DT770 Pro's were excellent for bass, but at loud volume and amped, the bass was really heavy (in a good way) and pretty tight, but the highs became pretty bright and sometimes too sharp for me and the mids pretty much went away and were lost on a lot of songs at those high levels of volume. They're good headphones, but the 900's are simply superior.

You should probably just keep the XB500's & DT770 Pro 80's--get an amp and play with an equalizer. Save your money.

Very best,

Jul 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 21
Jul 1, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:
The ES10 has a decent amount of bass as standard. Obviously not as much as the XB500, but that sounds far muddier in comparison. However, like I mentioned I think the ES10 has great EQ'ing/bass boosting potential. I've only briefly heard my bro's ES7 and the ES10 is definitely an upgrade.

I am like 99% sure on the ES10. has the same clamp feature as the ES7 and is on ear. I can probably get what I got out of the ES7. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Heya,

Sounds to me like you're wanting more quantity of bass, not quality.

DT770 Pro 80's on an amplifier have excellent bass. When I got my Ultrasone Pro 900's, I didn't think it could get better, but it did. The 900's did the same lows, but they were tight and it didn't take away from the other frequencies, I could still hear the rest of the music. I appreciate being able to have my bass and still have the rest of the spectrum. 900's gave me that. DT770 Pro's were excellent for bass, but at loud volume and amped, the bass was really heavy (in a good way) and pretty tight, but the highs became pretty bright and sometimes too sharp for me and the mids pretty much went away and were lost on a lot of songs at those high levels of volume. They're good headphones, but the 900's are simply superior.

You should probably just keep the XB500's & DT770 Pro 80's--get an amp and play with an equalizer. Save your money.

Very best,

Yeah, before I get the ES10 i am going to try the FiiO E9 with my E7. then i can also try line out from the E7 to my Toucan. I never really had a line out so maybe thats why the DT770 would distort when I amped it up for bass.

Quote:
well the way i see it, dt770 have  more depth, and not as "forward".

i would then also agree with the pro 700, pro 900 ultrasone route/direction for more accurate bass and not depth. ive only heard 900s.

Yup, definitely seems the case. Maybe the FiiO e7/e9 combo can knock some forwardness or something likeable of my bass taste into the DT770.

Thanks everyone. Seems the route I will go is E9 first and see if I am content with my current stuff. Ill try the Ultrasone pro900 at guitarcenter and stick to that if they remind me of my good old ES7. last resort is import an ES10. Maybe both ES10 and Pro900, from reviews it seems both are very good at different things (more soundstange on the ultrasones).

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #21 of 21
You can always get the ZO Portable Subwoofer amp/sound enhancer device. It brings a more forward sound character to any headphone (due to adding around 7~10dB boost to the whole range) and you can tweak the bass boost strength from there exactly to your liking with 31 different setting but unless you use a very basshy headphone I don't see any1 going past midway or something cuz the bass boost capability on this device is brutal... and if using the "flat"/lowest or lower contour levels then it will even make headphones sound more balanced. Maybe with this device the DT770 would start sounding more to your liking as it would tame down the brightness slightly of the DT770 as well as upping the quality of the bass and make it tighter as well as adding a realistic "punch" to it. Even this XB500 starts sounding a lot clearer with it (the upper bass sounds like it would be tamed down). It also drags out the soundstage borders a bit as well as making the overall sound more dynamic from that added volume boost to the whole frequency range, amazing value for $100 IMO for such a large improvement and usability it brings.

You can read my review here for more info http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558850/digizoid-zo-personal-subwoofer-review-the-missing-link-to-audio-nirvana

Or check this thread for the overhelmingly good feedback about it http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504037/mini-review-digizoid-zo-portable-subwoofer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back