Buy Sony MDR-V6 or Sennheiser HD515
Nov 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

valmirm

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community,

I joined this forum to get your informed decision on buying a headphone.

After some research I have decided on buying between two headphones.

Sony MDR-V6 "MANUFACTURER REFURBISHED" - $60 EBAY -  90 Day Sony Warranty

OR

Sennheiser HD515  "NEW" -$50 Amazon- 2 Year Sennheiser Warranty

I really want the Sony buy they are refurbished and only 90 day warranty.

I will be listening to a lot of Rap - Techno - Classical  music.

Which do you think I should buy?

Thank you

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 9
Just spend the $10 more and get a new MDR-V6 from Newegg, and know that you're getting a legit one.

Counterfeit V6's are all too common, and eBay is especially untrustworthy.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 9
I am not really worried about them being Counterfeit because they are factory refurbished comes with a Sony warrenty from an authorized seller.

The ebay counterfeit come from china and cost around 40.

But I checked Newegg and they were 70 with one year warranty. Should I just buy those and forget the previous two choices?

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi by the way!  Both are excellent entry level options with some key differences-the Sonys are a closed design therefore block out ambient noise.  The Sennheisers are of an open design meaning NO noise isolation at all, though the benefits are a larger soundstage in comparison to sealed 'phones, better spatial imaging and intrument placement, deeper more resonate bass and an airy sound signature.  If you don't need sound isolation then the Sennheisers are the way to go.  If not, then the Sonys are not to shabby either.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 9
The Sonys would be better for working out because of there sealed design but, are you sure you want to wear such large headphones to the gym?

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 9
What's wrong with wearing them at the gym?

I don't care about how they look on me, I have worn full size headphones at the gym before.

BTW at the gym, I do  not run AT ALL. I just do heavy weight workouts to gain size.  I run outside of the gym with my apple headphones.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the MDR-V6 and use them on my digital piano. But for music, in my opinion, the highs are relentless. I'd use them for mixing etc. when I need a microscope, but I'm not so sure they'd be "fun" for the gym. Everyone's ears are different though, you may love them, and I do like a closed can or iem for the gym so you don't have to hear the inane stuff they pipe thru the PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back