Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 29, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,936 of 3,128
Anyone use a tube preamplifier with the Soloist? I’m so curious if anyone does it and what your tube/op amp combinations look like :)

I have a GT arriving and I will use a tube preamp with it (4x 12au7 tubes and 2x 22de4 rectifiers). I already enjoy mix and matching tubes; adding op amps to the mix will be an adventure.

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #1,937 of 3,128
Anyone use a tube preamplifier with the Soloist? I’m so curious if anyone does it and what your tube/op amp combinations look like :)

I have a GT arriving and I will use a tube preamp with it (4x 12au7 tubes and 2x 22de4 rectifiers). I already enjoy mix and matching tubes; adding op amps to the mix will be an adventure.
I have tried using fx audio tube 03 with v6 classics as opamps and mullards cv4010 as tube.

I prefer the soloist without tube buffer if I am on regular mode but if I am on headphone poweramp mode, having a tube buffer is enjoyable too.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #1,940 of 3,128

Depending on what I'm listening to...sometime I use an MHDT Orchid --> 3XP. Obviously not the same as a full tube/preamp...but the Tube / R2R combo into the Soloist can be pretty sweet depending on headphone pairing and music.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #1,941 of 3,128
Depending on what I'm listening to...sometime I use an MHDT Orchid --> 3XP. Obviously not the same as a full tube/preamp...but the Tube / R2R combo into the Soloist can be pretty sweet depending on headphone pairing and music.
I just received the GT yesterday and ran my chunky Cayin SC-6LS MK2 tube preamplifier with it. Match made in heaven.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,942 of 3,128
I just received the GT yesterday and ran my chunky Cayin SC-6LS MK2 tube preamplifier with it. Match made in heaven.
Did you try to feed your soloist GT from dac directly and compare feeding it with your tube preamp?

Yesterday, I tried 2 settings
1. Composer dac mode -> Euforia -> soloist power amp mode -> He6se
2. Composer preamp mode -> soloist power amp mode -> He6se

It sounded great, but tbh, I couldn't hear much difference in sound. Maybe I didn't try long enough with different types of music.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,943 of 3,128
Did you try to feed your soloist GT from dac directly and compare feeding it with your tube preamp?

Yesterday, I tried 2 settings
1. Composer dac mode -> Euforia -> soloist power amp mode -> He6se
2. Composer preamp mode -> soloist power amp mode -> He6se

It sounded great, but tbh, I couldn't hear much difference in sound. Maybe I didn't try long enough with different types of music.
I listened to these chains:

TT2 -> Cayin SC-6LS Mk2 -> GT -> Susvara/TC
TT2 -> GT -> Susvara/TC

The GT already sounds very good by itself, but the addition of 2nd order harmonics via my tube preamp was holographic, noticeable and pleasant. The cayin preamp has dual rectifiers and 4 preamp tubes and I matched a pair or NOS RCA clear tops with a pair or NOS mullards. Same great solid state GT sound, with some added tube magic to my preference. I haven’t heard the Euforia as a preamp though, but I’ve heard a few that all sound differently. Tube preamps man, so many factors and variations, and it’s a biatch exploring a good system match.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #1,944 of 3,128
I listened to these chains:

TT2 -> Cayin SC-6LS Mk2 -> GT -> Susvara/TC
TT2 -> GT -> Susvara/TC

The GT already sounds very good by itself, but the addition of 2nd order harmonics via my tube preamp was holographic, noticeable and pleasant. The cayin preamp has dual rectifiers and 4 preamp tubes and I matched a pair or NOS RCA clear tops with a pair or NOS mullards. Same great solid state GT sound, with some added tube magic to my preference. I haven’t heard the Euforia as a preamp though, but I’ve heard a few that all sound differently. Tube preamps man, so many factors and variations, and it’s a biatch exploring a good system match.
@Pashmeister out of curiosity: have you tried pairing TT2 with other amps and cans too?

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #1,945 of 3,128
The guys over on audio science review forums linked this this measurements review of the burson soloist 3x

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/burson-soloist-3x/

Use a translator. But it reviews well with a couple of notable comments.

1. Power supply stock vs supercharger made a significant difference to the out of band noise measurements. I wonder how a linear power supply would go with this? It adds significant cost, it is one design element I strongly dislike in the Burson design.

2. Strong DC offset for around 10 mins after powering on the amp. This is worrying.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #1,946 of 3,128
@Pashmeister out of curiosity: have you tried pairing TT2 with other amps and cans too?
Yeah. With the TT2 directly, I’ve heard GL2000, He1000se, Meze Empyrean, Meze Liric, LCD-5, DCA Stealth, Diana V2. Also heard Sus and TC off the rear TT2 xlr outs.

I’ve also paired the TT2 with power amps for the tc and sus such as OG Burson Timekeeper, Hypex Ncore monoblocks, VMV a1…

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #1,947 of 3,128
1. I wonder how a linear power supply would go with this?
To my knowledge Burson do not recommend to use 3rd party linear power supplies due to their unique MCPS.
There is a post somewhere in this thread with a comment from Burson Audio on this.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #1,948 of 3,128
To my knowledge Burson do not recommend to use 3rd party linear power supplies due to their unique MCPS.
There is a post somewhere in this thread with a comment from Burson Audio on this.
I use the Ferrum..no issues. If the supercharger/booster was available i might have bought it instead. However, think i prefer a brick on the desk ..rather than a brick sticking out of my power outlet.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,950 of 3,128
Is the Burson wall wart simply a Chinese switch mode power supply converting mains power to 25 vdc?
This Chinese switch mode power supply is just one part of their MCPS, the rest is inside the amp.

Regarding LPS the answer from Burson was as follows:
No, this won't work on our products. It's like putting a bigger piston engine in an electric car. It will make our products sound worst.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back