Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Dec 4, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #1,951 of 3,139
This Chinese switch mode power supply is just one part of their MCPS, the rest is inside the amp.

Regarding LPS the answer from Burson was as follows:
No, this won't work on our products. It's like putting a bigger piston engine in an electric car. It will make our products sound worst.

That’s difficult to unpack. 25v DC is 25v DC. The only difference is what kind of noise is coming down the line as well. Does the 3XP lack decent line filtering caps and the ‘MCPS’ tech can’t deal with much noise? It’s bloody annoying I wish they’d just make a normal power supply as part of the package especially at that price point when they’re using opamps.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #1,952 of 3,139
That’s difficult to unpack. 25v DC is 25v DC. The only difference is what kind of noise is coming down the line as well. Does the 3XP lack decent line filtering caps and the ‘MCPS’ tech can’t deal with much noise? It’s bloody annoying I wish they’d just make a normal power supply as part of the package especially at that price point when they’re using opamps.
maybe this video can answer, I don't know...

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #1,953 of 3,139
maybe this video can answer, I don't know...

That’s interesting. I think it’s 50% engineering and 50% marketing tbh. Linear power supply coils then feed a bank of capacitors which are what the mosfets ‘draw on’ to supply instantaneous power not the coil directly. The capacitors do also smooth the 50-60Hz hum but they also act as a rapid low resistance reservoir of power. Plenty of amps with amazing dynamics and slam that run a LPS prove that to be the case. This is a different way of doing things and the sales pitch is it’s superior to a LPS.

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #1,954 of 3,139
Well, I'm happy with Super Chargers so far. I don't think it can be more improved here.
The main SQ improvement I got when I switched to a network streamer and dropped the PC completely as a digital source.

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #1,955 of 3,139
Well, I'm happy with Super Chargers so far. I don't think it can be more improved here.
The main SQ improvement I got when I switched to a network streamer and dropped the PC completely as a digital source.
Happy with the Super Charger, too. Totally agree on the streamer, the best hi-fi device I bought in years is my iFi Zen Stream. Couldn't have dreamt for more at $399 :)

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,956 of 3,139
Happy with the Super Charger, too. Totally agree on the streamer, the best hi-fi device I bought in years is my iFi Zen Stream. Couldn't have dreamt for more at $399 :)

Yeah, seems like it gives the system what it needs and no point thinking further into it. I personally dislike wall plug PSU’s like that but it’s just something I find personally irksome, not necessarily based on anything more substantial.

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #1,957 of 3,139

Do you go directly from Zen Stream into your DAC via USB? Or are you using a DDC like Matrix Spdif 2 or Singxer SU6 into your Dac via I2S?

Dec 4, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,958 of 3,139
Do you go directly from Zen Stream into your DAC via USB? Or are you using a DDC like Matrix Spdif 2 or Singxer SU6 into your Dac via I2S?
Using the Matrix SPDIF-2 then I²S to the DAC as that seems to be the best input to the Venus. I like the fact that my USB input is available for my PC to use for YouTube videos or teleconferences.
Here's my eclectic set-up 😂

Attachments

• 20211129_162852.jpg
    20211129_162852.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,960 of 3,139
Pi2AES > BNC > Gumby > 3XP or Pi2AES > I²S > D70S > 3XP

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #1,961 of 3,139
I am roon core >> wireless >> matrix audio x-sabre 3 >> xlr >> 3xp (w/ supercharger). Works great so far.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,962 of 3,139
I will be comparing the hypsos vs supercharger 3A. Right now my impression is that the supercharger adds some coloration to the sound.which is weird, since it's a power supply. By coloration is mean 2nd harmonic distortion

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,964 of 3,139
which is interesting because playing this track

1638800290247.png

I actually preferred the Burson Supercharger 🤯. The loudness and the more upfront sound suited the track better. It sounds great on Hypsos, as the better reverb reproduction helps with the overall impression of the elements in the song. the Hypsos is clear as a deep blue ocean.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,965 of 3,139
1638801181300.png

Prefer the Hypsos, much cleaner sound, much fuller bass and the soundstage is wider. Decay of cymbals much better.
The Burson Supercharger gives more loudness and vocals are more upfront, as well as lead guitar.

Guess it boils down to what you prefer. It's clear that the Burson has a certain "sound" which makes it more "musical" or "character"

if it makes sense "the loudspeakers" dissapear easier with the Ferrum audio Hypsos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• aro
Back