Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Dec 7, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #1,966 of 3,139
I have a question and I really need some advice. My issue is I can't get wifi worth a crap where I am at. As of now I am using my soloist with my dx300 connected XLR to 4.4mm. My problem with that is I like to use usb audio player pro and I run out of hotspot and the signal is to weak to use uapp. I was wondering could I connect my phone to the soloist with an rca to usbc cable? If so do you suggest a certain cable? If I can connect my phone that way could I still use the dx300 as the dac connected with XLR to 4.4mm?

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #1,967 of 3,139
I will be comparing the hypsos vs supercharger 3A. Right now my impression is that the supercharger adds some coloration to the sound.which is weird, since it's a power supply. By coloration is mean 2nd harmonic distortion
I don't necessarily think the supercharger adds color. The way it sounded to me is the entire frequency response was smoothed out, more dynamics, and a blacker background which sometimes makes me feel like I'm getting more details. Everyone hears things differently though. I can 100% see how you can perceive the sound to be colored with the supercharger.

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,968 of 3,139
I don't necessarily think the supercharger adds color. The way it sounded to me is the entire frequency response was smoothed out, more dynamics, and a blacker background which sometimes makes me feel like I'm getting more details. Everyone hears things differently though. I can 100% see how you can perceive the sound to be colored with the supercharger.
Supercharger arrived today. My experience sounds pretty much the same as your description. The Supercharger improves the entire music experience. Bass just sounds fantastic and textured, and rather pleasantly, there is noticeably more air in the mix (this is something I love about clean power). Very happy with this purchase. I didn't expect much - received way more than I bargained for.

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #1,969 of 3,139
Supercharger arrived today. My experience sounds pretty much the same as your description. The Supercharger improves the entire music experience. Bass just sounds fantastic and textured, and rather pleasantly, there is noticeably more air in the mix (this is something I love about clean power). Very happy with this purchase. I didn't expect much - received way more than I bargained for.
I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it too! It was an immediate improvement for me. To me it is definitely worth it!

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #1,970 of 3,139
I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it too! It was an immediate improvement for me. To me it is definitely worth it!
100 percent agree with these impressions. Definitely glad I snagged one for half price on the black Friday deal!

Dec 8, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #1,971 of 3,139
I can't remember who suggested it, but a laptop cooling pad under the 3XP works wonders!

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #1,972 of 3,139
I can't remember who suggested it, but a laptop cooling pad under the 3XP works wonders!
Problem is the fan noise it introduces. I have the vertical stand. It works brilliantly. Keeps the Soloist far cooler than horizontal desk placement.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #1,973 of 3,139
Problem is the fan noise it introduces. I have the vertical stand. It works brilliantly. Keeps the Soloist far cooler than horizontal desk placement.
Indeed, I can confirm - the CoolStand is the only way to keep your Soloist running. Makes me wonder why Burson didn't add screen orientation change option like one in higher models. As a benefit it takes so much less space on the desk when placed vertically.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,974 of 3,139
Guys, do not mix up lemons and oranges. The Soloist 3XP does not have a cooling fan. You are talking about the Soloist 3X GT and there is a separate thread for that amp.
Indeed, I can confirm - the CoolStand is the only way to keep your Soloist running.
I have been successfully running my 3XP for almost a year without a cool stand.
Some owners simply worry too much about Class-A heat. The designers are aware, that Class-A circuits will generate heat.
That said, the cool stand is still useful, but not a necessity.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #1,975 of 3,139
Guys, do not mix up lemons and oranges. The Soloist 3XP does not have a cooling fan. You are talking about the Soloist 3X GT and there is a separate thread for that amp.

I have been successfully running my 3XP for almost a year without a cool stand.
Some owners simply worry too much about Class-A heat. The designers are aware, that Class-A circuits will generate heat.
That said, the cool stand is still useful, but not a necessity.
The fan comment was in response to the fans in the laptop cooling stand, not to the Soloist. Edit: Agreed it's class A and no worries on the heat, but the CoolStand is really useful depending on your desk space etc.

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,976 of 3,139
The fan comment was in response to the fans in the laptop cooling stand, not to the Soloist. Edit: Agreed it's class A and no worries on the heat, but the CoolStand is really useful depending on your desk space etc.
My bad regarding the fans.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,977 of 3,139
:raised_hand:
I actually put mine on a cooler master laptop pad and it runs nice and warm now. The Burson Soloist ran at 55-56c on my wooden desk and now it’s 46-47c on the cooler master notepad x-slim with the fan off and 37c with the fan on. The pad is essential a large heatsink and should help extend the life of the unit.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #1,978 of 3,139
I'm using one of the cheaper laptop cooling pads that has a very low-powered "silent" fan. I hear no negative results from adding it to the mix, but it significantly reduced the operating temps. It used to be pretty warm to the touch and now it's barely warmer than room temperature. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,980 of 3,139
Thinking about matching up the soloist with LCD-X for mainly EDM listening. For example song Symbiota - Viscous.
Just wondering how the soloist goes with sub-bass/mid-bass impact? And how is the decay?

its quite good buy I have an og lcdx so can’t speak for the latest rev.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back