Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 24, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,921 of 3,128
First off please excuse me for my lack of knowledge on the subject but I need some help. I already own the soloist and I am using my dx300 as a dac and source with my lcd x. My problem is I like my music on usb audio player pro so I can use eq but where I live I can't get wifi that is worth a crap. I may be buying the composer or denafrips Pontus as a dac and what I need to know is how could I use my phone as a source so I can use my data plan and listen with uappp? What interconnect should I be looking for?
why not use your phone as hotspot for dx300?
if you use a dac, you better use dx300 spdif out to the dac. its gonna be much better than usb.

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,922 of 3,128
why not use your phone as hotspot for dx300?
if you use a dac, you better use dx300 spdif out to the dac. its gonna be much better than usb.
I do use the dx300 with my hotspot. The problem is the hotspot gets too slow to use uapp so I have to revert back to qobuz or tidal offline and there is no eq. I have XLR to 4.4mm into the dx300 amp 12 right now. I would rather use the dx300 as the source but the hotspot gets too slow and my phone using my unlimited data is fast. I wish I could get wifi worth a crap out here in the country and I wouldn't have this problem! Lol

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,923 of 3,128
I do use the dx300 with my hotspot. The problem is the hotspot gets too slow to use uapp so I have to revert back to qobuz or tidal offline and there is no eq. I have XLR to 4.4mm into the dx300 amp 12 right now. I would rather use the dx300 as the source but the hotspot gets too slow and my phone using my unlimited data is fast. I wish I could get wifi worth a crap out here in the country and I wouldn't have this problem! Lol
so your phone's network is fast, but when you use your phone to share wifi to the dx300 it is very slow?

Nov 24, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,924 of 3,128
so your phone's network is fast, but when you use your phone to share wifi to the dx300 it is very slow?
The hotspot works fine for a while and then it slows down. I would have to pay for more hotspot I guess.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #1,925 of 3,128
20211110_142527~2.JPG

I use Ferrum Hypsos as power supply.

For I/V stage i use vivid 6 dual op-amps

For LP..i use Orange Dual Op-amps. Why do i prefer the Orange amps ones? because the music sounds more correct, natural and i can listen for hours with engangement and little fatigue.

Burson Solist 3x..requires 4 Orange Dual op-amps.

How do you find the Ferrum? Have you had the chance to compare it to the Supercharger by any chance? The cost of the Hypsos is almost the cost to upgrade to the GT so wondering if it’s totally worth it.

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,926 of 3,128
Has a comparion between Conductor 3R vs Solist XP + RME-ADI been made?

I currently use a Conductor 3R (w/ Supercharger & Sparkos singles & duals) and while I love the power output, its too smooth for my tastes. I prefer a faster, more engaging sound and I'm not able to squeeze that out of the 3R.

Separates would let me tailor the sound to my liking, but I'd hate to give up the simplicity of the one box solution the 3R offers. The 3R doesn't have the power amp option that the Soloist does.

I use Hifiman Ananda, Arya, Grado GH2, Focal Clear(og).

Nov 27, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,927 of 3,128
Has a comparion between Conductor 3R vs Solist XP + RME-ADI been made?

I currently use a Conductor 3R (w/ Supercharger & Sparkos singles & duals) and while I love the power output, its too smooth for my tastes. I prefer a faster, more engaging sound and I'm not able to squeeze that out of the 3R.

Separates would let me tailor the sound to my liking, but I'd hate to give up the simplicity of the one box solution the 3R offers. The 3R doesn't have the power amp option that the Soloist does.

I use Hifiman Ananda, Arya, Grado GH2, Focal Clear(og).
Have you used Burson Vivid V6 dual opamps instead of Sparkos ? It is bit more dynamic. I found Sparkos bit too smooth for my taste or you can mix and match sparkos and Vivid V6.

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #1,928 of 3,128
Have you used Burson Vivid V6 dual opamps instead of Sparkos ? It is bit more dynamic. I found Sparkos bit too smooth for my taste or you can mix and match sparkos and Vivid V6.
Yep, I've run a few different combos of Sparkos & Vivids. I prefer the sounds of Sparkos as they work better with the music I listen to.

The Burson sale ends tomorrow, I might grab a Soloist while they're cheap :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,931 of 3,128
I don't understand the manual on op amp swapping. A couple questions:
  1. What are the stock op amps included with the 3xp?
  2. Do I need to order 4 of any other op amps i want to replace them with? or should i order a different amount? or are there different op amps in different places on the 3xp?
  3. Do any of the op amps available for sale on the site work in the 3xp (as long as I order the right number in question 2)?

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,932 of 3,128
I don't understand the manual on op amp swapping. A couple questions:
  1. What are the stock op amps included with the 3xp?
  2. Do I need to order 4 of any other op amps i want to replace them with? or should i order a different amoun1t? or are there different op amps in different places on the 3xp?
  3. Do any of the op amps available for sale on the site work in the 3xp (as long as I order the right number in question 2)?

1. 3xp stock opamp is the vivid.
2. you can buy 2 or 4, meaning swapping the input stage (2), volume controller (2) or all 4. May make sense to try with 2 to determine if you like the sound. please make sure to get the dual version.
3. you can try the classic from Burson, they will work or from other brands like spark, just ensure each opamp is dual.

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,933 of 3,128
My bad if you've already given your impressions here, I searched the thread and don't recall you doing so... If you haven't already, would you let me know what you prefer about the SparkoS over the Bursons? General impressions sort of thing.
The Sparkos have a little more life to them compared to the Burson Vivid. Theres clearer treble, tighter lows, and everything seems more open. I find the Vivids lows to be a little loose compared to Sparkos, I prefer the tightest bass I can get.

Check out the review below for a fantastic summary of Sparkos v. Burson:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-conductor-3-reference.24053/reviews

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,934 of 3,128
So reading through the thread I haven’t seen a full comparison between the Sparkos Aries and the 3XP. I got the 3XP as a SS upgrade to my Mainline. It has way better soundstage and gain and feels less flat with my HEKv1s but curious if the Aries would be worth it at twice the cost. I do really like the nonfatiguing treble of the 3X while still bringing good amounts of detail. Thoughts?

Has anyone seen a comparison between these two yet?

Closest I have come is the mention in here between the two. He said the Aries had better fine detail retrieval but the Burson sounded more musical in the mids especially.

Nov 29, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #1,935 of 3,128
I switched the Dual V6 vivid to Sparkos Labs opamp, I used to like Vivid but Sparkos offer a tad more details at a slight bass compromise. I could live with that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back