Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 24, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #1,906 of 3,128
That said I've noticed that the volume pot selector is often not very responsive, needing to be held down or clicked a few times to get it to do what it's supposed to. Is that something you and others have experienced?
The volume pot on my Conductor acts just the same way: sometimes the volume decreases rotating the knob clockwise, sometimes skips a few steps. Other than that it works fine and sounds good too, but I wish I sent it back at the time: I’m not using it anymore, I would like to sell it, but this problem clearly affects the resale price.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #1,907 of 3,128
Well, I'm getting mixed signals about SparkoS opamps here.

What I'm most curious about is the SparkoS SS2590 on the input stage... Firstly if it's possible to fit them with some creative use of extenders, and then if the concerns raised above preclude that from being a good setup.

There was a guy who put them on the input stage of his Conductor 3XR with the top of the case off and IIRC he had good initial impressions, but then he stopped posting so I'm not sure if it ended up working out.

If anyone knows more I'd be happy to hear it. Or impressions of the SS3602 vs the Vivids.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #1,908 of 3,128

What I'm most curious about is the SparkoS SS2590 on the input stage... Firstly if it's possible to fit them with some creative use of extenders, and then if the concerns raised above preclude that from being a good setup.

There was a guy who put them on the input stage of his Conductor 3XR with the top of the case off and IIRC he had good initial impressions, but then he stopped posting so I'm not sure if it ended up working out.

If anyone knows more I'd be happy to hear it. Or impressions of the SS3602 vs the Vivids.
I've posted some Classics and Sparkos impressions with the 3xp on this thread before if you search for it.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #1,909 of 3,128
How do Grados pair with Soloist 3XP? I run Grado GH2 with my Conductor 3R (w SuperCharger & Sparkos SS3602) and get the dreaded hiss when no music is playing. Not that big a deal with music flowing, but I would love a silent background when using Grados.

So, I'm debating a Soloist 3XP while they're on sale, with a Topping D90SE DAC. the Soloist is supposed to be quite than the Conductor 3R.

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #1,910 of 3,128
Does anyone know if the supercharger will work on the GT? Burson doesn’t list it as a supported model on their website but the GT does use the same 24V/3A design as the 3XP.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #1,911 of 3,128
How do Grados pair with Soloist 3XP? I run Grado GH2 with my Conductor 3R (w SuperCharger & Sparkos SS3602) and get the dreaded hiss when no music is playing. Not that big a deal with music flowing, but I would love a silent background when using Grados.

So, I'm debating a Soloist 3XP while they're on sale, with a Topping D90SE DAC. the Soloist is supposed to be quite than the Conductor 3R.
Soloist is not known for it's black background on sensitive sets ... so chances are you will still get some hiss.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #1,912 of 3,128
Does anyone know if the supercharger will work on the GT? Burson doesn’t list it as a supported model on their website but the GT does use the same 24V/3A design as the 3XP.
There is a separate 5A Supercharger for the GT.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,914 of 3,128
First off please excuse me for my lack of knowledge on the subject but I need some help. I already own the soloist and I am using my dx300 as a dac and source with my lcd x. My problem is I like my music on usb audio player pro so I can use eq but where I live I can't get wifi that is worth a crap. I may be buying the composer or denafrips Pontus as a dac and what I need to know is how could I use my phone as a source so I can use my data plan and listen with uappp? What interconnect should I be looking for?

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,915 of 3,128
Upgraded the interconnect cables to the original Oyaide

DSC_0986_1.jpgDSC_0988_1.jpg
DSC_0994_1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,916 of 3,128
First off please excuse me for my lack of knowledge on the subject but I need some help. I already own the soloist and I am using my dx300 as a dac and source with my lcd x. My problem is I like my music on usb audio player pro so I can use eq but where I live I can't get wifi that is worth a crap. I may be buying the composer or denafrips Pontus as a dac and what I need to know is how could I use my phone as a source so I can use my data plan and listen with uappp? What interconnect should I be looking for?
I use bluetooth or usb c from my phone to composer. If other dac, I can use usb c to usb A adaptor.

I can also connect my phone directly to soloist using USB to 2-Male RCA Adapter or 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter, but this way you lose quality.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,918 of 3,128
I use bluetooth or usb c from my phone to composer. If other dac, I can use usb c to usb A adaptor.

I can also connect my phone directly to soloist using USB to 2-Male RCA Adapter or 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter, but this way you lose quality.
The best way would probably be usb c to usbc then? Is there a certain type cable that it has to be or will a regular charging cable work?

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #1,919 of 3,128
The best way would probably be usb c to usbc then? Is there a certain type cable that it has to be or will a regular charging cable work?
Yes, USBC to usbc is the best way.

I use an AUDIOQUEST USBC to usbc cable, but the stock cable from Burson works. I think they are technically the same as regular USBC data transfer cable

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,920 of 3,128

I have 4 of these: https://sparkoslabs.com/product/dual-discrete-op-amp-ss3602/

For me the vivids are a bit of a U shaped curve with more bass elevation and slam along with treble sparkle and extension. The sparkos are much flatter in presentation.

I bought the 3XP to primarily pair with my 1266 Phi TC so it needs all the help in the mids it can get an 0 emphasis on bass and treble peaks. I find I lose a tough of bass slam and some sizzle up top in exchange for more better technical performance and resolution through the mids. For many of my other headphones I think the Vivids were slightly better (LCDX, LCD3F, OG Clears). But I have other amps for them so I haven’t swapped the vivids in for months.

I also do not have the supercharger (en route) so cannot comment on pairings of op amps with the SC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back