Burson Soloist 3X Performance Head/Pre Amp - 8Wpc XLR with MUSE72320 volume control
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #1,891 of 3,128
Ok 3GT on GT speciffic Supercharger vs 3XP on Supercharger impressions time :

- GT has about 10% more perceived power. 60 on GT = roughly 66 on 3XP
- GT is a lot wider, and this is the main difference
- Tonality is very similar, GT has the 3XP sound characteristics with all the good and bad
- GT on vivids can still produce harsh treble with sets like 1266 TC, but that's why we do op amp rolling which I will do in the next few days after it burns in a bit more

So in short, 3GT is a wider version of 3XP.

For 1266 TC - still has hot top end on vivids but you can op amp roll to change the tuning.
For Empire Ears Odin - it still has audible noise floor (no black background), but other than that it's spectacular. Odins are so wide on it it's unbelievable, the whole range is super smooth, precise, holographic, full bodied, it's a god tier pairing (minus the silightly noisiy background).

Also fan noise on mine is audible, had to stuff it on one of the lower shelves next to my desk, but it's still audible.

I will be keeping it tho, because the sound stage upgrade is seriously impressive.

Crossfeed is implemented well, it's subtle and organic on 1266. It's a nice feature if you want to play with the width of the soundstage and the FR. At the moment I have it off because I'm enjoing the width of the stage comparing to 3XP.

I will follow up with some op amp rolling impressions.

Update :
I have been feeding it with Holo May L2 which is also a full dual mono design, so the GT allows for harnessing the full performance of a dual mono DAC. Your mileage may vary with lesser source, for me the differnce in staging is really pronounced.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,892 of 3,128

- Tonality is very similar, GT has the 3XP sound characteristics with all the good and bad
- GT on vivids can still produce harsh treble with sets like 1266 TC, but that's why we do op amp rolling which I will do in the next few days after it burns in a bit more

For 1266 TC - still has hot top end on vivids but you can op amp roll to change the tuning.
For Empire Ears Odin - it still has audible noise floor (no black background), but other than that it's spectacular. Odins are so wide on it it's unbelievable, the whole range is super smooth, precise, holographic, full bodied, it's a god tier pairing (minus the silightly noisiy background).

Also fan noise on mine is audible, had to stuff it on one of the lower shelves next to my desk, but it's still audible.

I will be keeping it tho, because the sound stage upgrade is seriously impressive.

Crossfeed is implemented well, it's subtle and organic on 1266. It's a nice feature if you want to play with the width of the soundstage and the FR. At the moment I have it off because I'm enjoing the width of the stage comparing to 3XP.

Update :
I have been feeding it with Holo May L2 which is also a full dual mono design, so the GT allows for harnessing the full performance of a dual mono DAC. Your mileage may vary with lesser source, for me the differnce in staging is really pronounced.
what kind of opamp you plan to roll with 3gt?

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,893 of 3,128
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #1,896 of 3,128

Update :

Could you measure the fan? Back from my computer building days I used to use Noctua fans as my standard for quiet and performance. You could get them in a slim enough profile that might fit the amp. This would be my plan if I upgraded to the GT.

How would you say the micro detail compares from the XP to the GT? Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #1,898 of 3,128
Does the Soloist 3XP have any class A competitors at its price point (other than the FA-10 which is just physically too big)?

I've not been able to get my Soloist working properly since purchase and I'm on the verge of returning it and jumping ship although. I find it offers so much of what I am looking for but my sadly excitement about it is all but gone from my experience. Wondering where else I could turn whilst keeping my expenditure level roughly the same?

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #1,899 of 3,128
Does the Soloist 3XP have any class A competitors at its price point (other than the FA-10 which is just physically too big)?

I've not been able to get my Soloist working properly since purchase and I'm on the verge of returning it and jumping ship although. I find it offers so much of what I am looking for but my sadly excitement about it is all but gone from my experience. Wondering where else I could turn whilst keeping my expenditure level roughly the same?
What isn't working properly with it? What did Burson say about fixing it? I got mine a couple weeks ago and it is working great.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #1,900 of 3,128
What isn't working properly with it? What did Burson say about fixing it? I got mine a couple weeks ago and it is working great.
Since posting I've managed to make some progress.

My first issue was that the selector button in the volume pot wasn't working (straight out of the box) which meant I couldn't change any options. That was 6 weeks ago. They arranged for a new front plate to be sent (instead of just taking back the defective item and sending a new one... I guess not every company is Hifiman). It took ages to arrive but I finally received it and today I installed the front plate. At first the screen would not turn on at all after following their instructions. Then through some guesswork and putting together components I received with no instructions, I've managed to get the screen working. So I can finally test out the amp properly after 6 weeks of ownership.

That said I've noticed that the volume pot selector is often not very responsive, needing to be held down or clicked a few times to get it to do what it's supposed to. Is that something you and others have experienced?

I'll give it a listen over the next few days and see if it can win me over, but so far, for this price, the experience has been poor.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #1,903 of 3,128
sparkos 3602?or2590
Just check with Burson before rolling any opamps. I had Sparkos SS3602 swapping with two dual Vivid V6 in volume stage of Soloist 3Xp. Didnt get any noticeable difference in sound compared to ViVid V6. I was also advised that Sparkos opamps have caused some issues in Soloist 3xp amp ( would apply to Gt too I guess) with regards to DC voltage output from Sparkos opamps. They draw more current than Vivid V6s. Just be careful and seek advice from Burson before doing anything.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,904 of 3,128
Just check with Burson before rolling any opamps. I had Sparkos SS3602 swapping with two dual Vivid V6 in volume stage of Soloist 3Xp. Didnt get any noticeable difference in sound compared to ViVid V6. I was also advised that Sparkos opamps have caused some issues in Soloist 3xp amp ( would apply to Gt too I guess) with regards to DC voltage output from Sparkos opamps. They draw more current than Vivid V6s. Just be careful and seek advice from Burson before doing anything.
Maybe put it on input stages ? Of course they would advise against using sparkos. Consider sparkos is reviewed to be better than any burson opamp almost in any regards.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #1,905 of 3,128
Maybe put it on input stages ? Of course they would advise against using sparkos. Consider sparkos is reviewed to be better than any burson opamp almost in any regards.
You can try putting in input stages. I didn’t bother as I couldn’t notice any difference in sound. I was already using Supercharger. Probably that may have been the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back