Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Oct 26, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #1,895 of 1,995

How does this setup compared against the burson conductor?

I don't think anyone can answer you this question straight because every component in the system (eg the headphone, interconnect, dac, and headphone amplifier) can make it  sound different (just like those in the picture). Even the surface they rest on can adjust the sound somehow ( from warm to bright depending on the material). And footers can bring stability and focus to the sound to make it sound leaner.

For example, I thought that Burson Conductor is warm-sounding until I place it on a wooden slab of 2cm thick resting on footer, and the sound change to  a bit bright sound with better clarity and transparency ( the warmness is gone)  and that is so when I using the w1000x headphone which is known to be a warm headphone.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,896 of 1,995
[quote name="macdevign" url="/t/627954/burson-conductor-dac-amp-successor-to-the-ha-160d/1890#post_

For example, I thought that Burson Conductor is warm-sounding until I place it on a wooden slab of 2cm thick resting on footer, and the sound change to  a bit bright sound with better clarity and transparency ( the warmness is gone)  and that is so when I using the w1000x headphone which is known to be a warm headphone.
[/quote]

Uahahahaha
Too funny!

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #1,897 of 1,995
[quote name="macdevign" url="/t/627954/burson-conductor-dac-amp-successor-to-the-ha-160d/1890#post_

Uahahahaha
Too funny![/quote]

You don't think vibration control makes any difference?  I don't think it's funny at all since, for me, it makes a difference, albeit a small one.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #1,898 of 1,995
the conductor will be really thin sounding before warm up, it's a fully discrete design which needs to stabilize thermally, some may prefer it that way, so much that i know head-fi-ers using fans and additional heat-sinks to keep it cool, personally i like to warm it up good before use, really smooths the sound

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #1,899 of 1,995

Uahahahaha
Too funny![/quote]

I thought that is funny too when someone told me that until I  experiment with tweak/gear/cable and what I discover through experiment surprise me and make me even more curious  :} ... Needless to say, it really open my mind ....

Ok... try glass slab rather than wooden slab , and it should be lot more fun , if not funny LOL

So in the end I ask myself this question and find out why is someone hearing different sound ( eg warm sound, bright sound, analogue organic sound, sterile sound ) whereas another hearing another with the same headphone amplifier, dac for example....     could it be table surface ( eg glass, metal, wood and the effect of adding footers) ...   or  if there is any noticeable difference in sound quality between balanced and unbalanced connection.

So when I begin to question and to experiment to satisfy my curiosity, it humbles me to find out that there is so much thing that I did not know . It is one thing to rationalise by reasons/logic alone  and another to determine by what one hear from his own ears.

hmmm, maybe the equipment vendors may have the answer ( grado uses 12 conductors wire for their cables, femto dac uses cork footer  ) ... Question is why do they use certain materials and designs if they do not have noticeable effect on the sound quality ?

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #1,900 of 1,995
next thing i wanna do is to suspend all my gear in mid air with balloons, at least until zero gravity listening becomes mainstream, true story
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #1,901 of 1,995
  next thing i wanna do is to suspend all my gear in mid air with balloons, at least until zero gravity listening becomes mainstream, true story
tongue_smile.gif

good idea. Let us know the result if you ever try that :} ...

Until then the closet we can get today is magnetic levitation footer and platform which is available commercially.

http://www.moonaudio.com/shelf1.htm
http://www.gcaudio.com/products/reviews/infomagix.html

The affordable one but still cost hundreds
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/yamamoto_magnetic_bases_e.html     /     http://www2.117.ne.jp/~y-s/base-4P-e.html

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,902 of 1,995
tongue_smile.gif

If you do go this route, be sure to use latex rubber balloons - they're more "vinyl" sounding. I found Mylar balloons to be thin and metallic sounding...
beyersmile.png

But seriously, I've built a number of isolation units, including one for my CDP/DAC that utilizes a platform that floats on top of a bladder full of super-high viscosity silicone fluid, which is an excellent dampening material. Now that I think about it, I actually did use a small weather balloon as the bladder for that system, so I guess the balloon thing cuts closer to home than I thought! 

And at the end of the day, if you hear a difference and/or your equipment works better, then go for it! 

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #1,903 of 1,995

How does this setup compared against the burson conductor?

I'm not sure what kind of sound you looking at but if you feel that 3d sound-staging is missing and want to feel the texture and layer of vocal and instrument, you might want to try the Nordost power cord. The nordost blue heaven or Cardas Clear line of power cord, can work wonders on system. Often we find that there is something missing ( sound not right) in our system , and endup upgrading expensive gears just to find that right sound.  Yet we tend to neglect power cord which can make a significant sound difference to system ( more than interconnect) . So if you are using stock power cord, I suggest you try  nordost cord and see if that is what you need to make your system sound better. 

I am using the Nordost red dawn power cord for my burson conductor, and I can't say enough that the system has never sound so real.

you can see how power cord can make the difference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k10ZDKw_87A

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,904 of 1,995
regarding the two above i use to place my conductor on a glass table or on a kind of books (slab?)
I also use a viablue powerchord and the stock one
never heard a differnce at all..

listening from audeze lcd2.2+silver widow / audeze lcd3f / grado sr125

i hear a nice difference-upgrade-adding the concero hd as usb/spdif converter

a guy in the past tried the isotone, isotope..?
the very expansive rubber feet, he also reported he didnt feel any difference

to each is own..

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,905 of 1,995
  regarding the two above i use to place my conductor on a glass table or on a kind of books (slab?)
I also use a viablue powerchord and the stock one
never heard a differnce at all..

listening from audeze lcd2.2+silver widow / audeze lcd3f / grado sr125

i hear a nice difference-upgrade-adding the concero hd as usb/spdif converter

a guy in the past tried the isotone, isotope..?
the very expansive rubber feet, he also reported he didnt feel any difference

to each is own..

I agree. I have tried a few cords of different brand (eg sine, chord, decware)  and I struggle to hear a positive difference ( there is difference but not so good to my ear) . But the Nordost cord seems different , and I have tried the Blue Heaven and Red dawn power cord (the lower range of nordost)  with Eximus DP1 and burson conductor, and the effect is always consistent. A 3d holographic soundstage with convincing layer and texture of the instruments and voices.  A eerie sense of realism.  ( any nordost users here ?)  ...

I don't suggest rubber feet but try metallic feet  ( probably they may not be obvious because the gear's feet is already using rubber feet ?) . Mine is the Solid tech feet of silence and I feel that it makes a dramatic difference to the sound.

Yes to each his own.  I still curious of why performance of tweak is so inconsistent and varies from listener to listener. What are the factors that explain those inconsistencies ? ( eg ear sensitivity, environment (urban/rural), emi/radio interference, material, ) .  Maybe one day we have the answer :}

Users who are viewing this thread

Back