Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Oct 18, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,876 of 1,995
  Note that the following is applicable only to those running Burson conductor with tenor usb receiver rather than the cmedia usb receiver as the cmedia does not require driver to be installed.

For those having mac computer and think of upgrading to latest Yosemite OS, beware that the burson driver may not compatible with the Yosemite OS. The sound has a lot of distortion (as if the driver is not install). That is  the main issue for using custom driver  as it may need to be updated whenever a major OS is introduced. You may want to delay updating the OS.

I received the following error from Yosemite while trying to re-install the burson driver.

"System extension cannot be used.
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/BursonUSBDACAudio.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling itt, or contact the product's vendor for an update"

I did a clean install of Yosemite and reinstalled the Burson driver and have no issues whatsoever. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,877 of 1,995

I did a clean install of Yosemite and reinstalled the Burson driver and have no issues whatsoever. 

Ok. Thank. 

I have investigated the issue

For those who has problem running Burson Conductor with yosemite, here is what I do to make it work.

It turns out that that burson driver did not load hence result in the sound distortion (Burson conductor requires a driver to work for its usb)

This can be confirmed by going to

System Information application  (go to system menu =>  About this mac -> System Report)

Under  Software -> Extensions, you see list of kext available
you will find BursonUSBDACAudio and its information,
and if the Loaded property is NO, it means the burson driver is not loaded at all.

Or  alternatively

run kextstat command
This will list all the kext loaded. If successful loaded, you will see
 com.bursonaudio.driver.BursonUSBDACAudio among the list

================================================

So to load the burson driver

Open terminal app

1) Run the following command which allows extension that is not code-signed to be loaded (apparently the burson driver is not code-signed)

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

2) Run the following command to update the extension cache. It makes the burson driver loading possible

sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

3) Restart the mac

4) Run the command. This load the driver, it should not return error.

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/BursonUSBDACAudio.kext

This is one time change, after which burson conductor will work flawlessly through its usb.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #1,878 of 1,995

If DAC is in fact that sensitive to vibration might be interesting to apply sheet of sound proofing to bottom of DAC such as is used inside PC case.  It blocks noise but also dampens vibration.  Have applied to underside of a turntable & tube amp  to good effect.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090359.html?productid=840556090359&channelid=FROOG&gclid=CjwKEAjwk_OhBRD06abu3qSoxlwSJACt7sZ72cWmVdWx4pfGR8Fjlim3oqb0G7rt0XDagUPXM7zl9hoCi67w_wcB

Interesting. It appears to be some kind of foam. So what is change in the sound signature of your audio gear with this tweak ? Because of the softness of foam, is the sound smoother and warmer ?
  I know femto dac use cork as footer to damp the vibration but I believe it is to smooth the analytical sound of the dual sabre dac chips. Hopefully one day get to try the cork footer..

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,879 of 1,995
  Parts Connexion puts a piece of sound damping material under the top lid as part of their Signature mods. Also, the stock volume control is fairly heavy and changing to Khozmo lightens it quite a bit. You might try one of the feet underneath it?

Also, FYI the Burson Conductor's feet are held on by fine threaded metal screw's. Removing the stock feet leaves said screw dangling below and the only way to get to it is by removing the insides. Not something an average Joe would want to do.

Soundcoat damping material  http://www.partsconnexion.com/product8800.html
Interesting that parts connexion use this for the top lid.

Did you try  any audiophile fuse in burson conductor ?

I thinking of trying this tweak Synergistic Research  RED Fuse  http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/synergistic-researchs-new-reference-red-fuse/ in the future.

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #1,880 of 1,995

Soundcoat damping material  http://www.partsconnexion.com/product8800.html
Interesting that parts connexion use this for the top lid.

Did you try  any audiophile fuse in burson conductor ?

I thinking of trying this tweak Synergistic Research  RED Fuse  http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/synergistic-researchs-new-reference-red-fuse/ in the future.

In my case I felt a vibratory sensation (like a hum that I could feel). The damping sheet worked.
I have not tried a fuse myself but other's have reported good results with them. I hope u try the SR and let us know
popcorn.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,881 of 1,995

Ok. Thank. 

For those who has problem running Burson Conductor with yosemite, here is what I do to make it work.

It turns out that that burson driver did not load hence result in the sound distortion (Burson conductor requires a driver to work for its usb)

System Information application  (go to system menu =>  About this mac -> System Report)

and if the Loaded property is NO, it means the burson driver is not loaded at all.

Or  alternatively

run kextstat command

Open terminal app

1) Run the following command which allows extension that is not code-signed to be loaded (apparently the burson driver is not code-signed)

2) Run the following command to update the extension cache. It makes the burson driver loading possible

sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

3) Restart the mac

This is one time change, after which burson conductor will work flawlessly through its usb.

I was able to reproduce the issue on another machine after updating to Yosemite (the Burson driver was already installed). You are correct, Yosemite will disable the driver whenever someone updates. The Terminal commands you posted do indeed re-enable the extension. I suspect it was not an issue on the first machine because it was a clean install and the driver was installed immediately after Yosemite. 

Great catch. 

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #1,882 of 1,995

This did not work for me.

Ok. Thank. 

Or  alternatively

run kextstat command

Open terminal app

3) Restart the mac

Nor did this!  I seemed to work until I restarted the Mac.

Any ideas?

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,883 of 1,995

This did not work for me.

Nor did this!  I seemed to work until I restarted the Mac.

Any ideas?

" I seemed to work until I restarted the Mac."

Can you please elaborate ?

For my case, after i restart the os, the burson conductor can be still turn on and off anytime and it will work (No need to turn on the burson conductor before restarting the OS).

I using a recent version of macbook retina so it could be that different hardware ( eg imac, earlier version of macbook) works differently ( like the conductor to be turn before the os startup) .

One way to check is to see if the driver is loaded successfully before turning on the conductor, and then turn the conductor on.

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,884 of 1,995

For my case, after i restart the os, the burson conductor can be still turn on and off anytime and it will work (No need to turn on the burson conductor before restarting the OS).

I using a recent version of macbook retina so it could be that different hardware ( eg imac, earlier version of macbook) works differently ( like the conductor to be turn before the os startup) .

One way to check is to see if the driver is loaded successfully before turning on the conductor, and then turn the conductor on.

Well, I re-tried the whole process and realise that this doesn't actually get the driver started in my case (Loaded=No).  When listening, it works for a short while then distorts until no sound is heard.

I have a MacBook Pro 17in (2012 version).

Any ideas?

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #1,885 of 1,995

Well, I re-tried the whole process and realise that this doesn't actually get the driver started in my case (Loaded=No).  When listening, it works for a short while then distorts until no sound is heard.

Any ideas?

i had the same problem, than installed the driver from moon audio site and it worked since http://www.moon-audio.com/burson-conductor-headphone-amplifier-preamp-and-dac.html on the bottom

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,886 of 1,995

i had the same problem, than installed the driver from moon audio site and it worked since http://www.moon-audio.com/burson-conductor-headphone-amplifier-preamp-and-dac.html on the bottom

I just tried this too.  Twice.  No luck.  What now??  I don't want to revert to previous OS X version.... there must be a fix.  Emailed Burson but they have not responded.

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,887 of 1,995

Any ideas?

Burson conductor requires a driver to load and  run, otherwise the sound will be distorted until no sound is heard (exactly what I face without loading the driver).

I have received the following response when I highlight the issue.

"Thanks for letting me know of the issue. 

The bad news is that Tenor (the USB chip manufacture) is not longer support their product and hence no longer releasing any new update for it. The good news is we do have a updated module with a much better CM6631 module. C-Media provide much better software support and if you wish to upgrade to this new module you should not have any problem with the new OS update. 

Please see this link here: http://www.bursonaudio.com/creations/cm6631-usb-module/

Please keep me posted with any question or feedback you may have. 

Warm regards
Dennis"

"i had the same problem, than installed the driver from moon audio site and it worked since http://www.moon-audio.com/burson-conductor-headphone-amplifier-preamp-and-dac.html on the bottom"

The one in the moon audio is the older version whereas the one in burson site is the new version (Tenor_8802_OSX_Driver_[273.4.2].pkg).
Could be some other reason why other mac can work while others cannot.

When you run the following commands in terminal, does it give any error in any stage  ?

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,888 of 1,995
  Burson conductor requires a driver to load and  run, otherwise the sound will be distorted until no sound is heard (exactly what I face without loading the driver).

I have received the following response when I highlight the issue.

"Thanks for letting me know of the issue. 

The bad news is that Tenor (the USB chip manufacture) is not longer support their product and hence no longer releasing any new update for it. The good news is we do have a updated module with a much better CM6631 module. C-Media provide much better software support and if you wish to upgrade to this new module you should not have any problem with the new OS update. 

Please see this link here: http://www.bursonaudio.com/creations/cm6631-usb-module/

Please keep me posted with any question or feedback you may have. 

Warm regards
Dennis"

"i had the same problem, than installed the driver from moon audio site and it worked since http://www.moon-audio.com/burson-conductor-headphone-amplifier-preamp-and-dac.html on the bottom"

The one in the moon audio is the older version whereas the one in burson site is the new version (Tenor_8802_OSX_Driver_[273.4.2].pkg).
Could be some other reason why other mac can work while others cannot.

When you run the following commands in terminal, does it give any error in any stage  ?

No, no error messages when I run the commands.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,889 of 1,995
For whatever its worth, I confirmed what dirggs describes above. I was able to duplicate the problem on both of my MacBook Pro Reina machines and it reverted to Loaded No after restarting. After I re-ran the Terminal commands, it displayed Loaded Yes but it always shows Loadable No (see below) regardless if its Loaded Yes or No. I'm also a little disappointed with Burson's customer service response. 

BursonUSBDACAudio:

Version:    2.7.3
  Last Modified:    10/16/14, 7:23 PM
  Bundle ID:    com.bursonaudio.driver.BursonUSBDACAudio
  Loaded:    Yes
  Get Info String:    2.7.3f1, Copyright Apple Inc. 2000 -2010
  Obtained from:    Not Signed
  Kind:    Intel
  Architectures:    i386, x86_64
  64-Bit (Intel):    Yes
  Kext Version:    2.7.3f1
  Load Address:    18446743521856100000
  Loadable:    No
  Signature Validation Errors:    Not Signed
  Dependencies:    Satisfied
  Signed by:    Not Signed

Best,
iDesign  

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #1,890 of 1,995
  For whatever its worth, I confirmed what dirggs describes above. I was able to duplicate the problem on both of my MacBook Pro Reina machines and it reverted to Loaded No after restarting. After I re-ran the Terminal commands, it displayed Loaded Yes but it always shows Loadable No (see below) regardless if its Loaded Yes or No. I'm also a little disappointed with Burson's customer service response. 

Best,
iDesign  

Loadable No is ok as long as Loaded is set to Yes when connect to Burson Conductor.

I not too sure about Microsoft Windows but a major upgrade of Apple Mac OS has the the tendency to break driver due to changes make in its api and architecture. Hence it is best in the future to avoid getting product that requires propietary driver to function when possible :{ ..

That say I suggest that user that facing the issue is advised to get the burson cmedia card or usb-to-spdif converter that don't require a propietary driver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back