Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D
Oct 13, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,861 of 1,995
I'm wondering why they didn't use CM6632A on Conductor, that is DSD capable. Was the CM6632A's release date later than Conductor's? And why they didn't use Cmedia from scratch instead of Tenor?

Enviado desde mi SM-G900H

Oct 13, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #1,862 of 1,995
If you were to buy the Conductor now it will come with the CM6632A as standard instead of the Tenor. However you still need a DSD capable DAC, just the CM6632A alone won't give you DSD since its just a USB interface. The Tenor was one of the first around to do 24/192 asynchronous USB cheaply at the time but better solutions have come out since.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #1,863 of 1,995
Conductor comes now with cm6631A, not CM6632A. The former is not DSD capable while the latter is.
So to implement DSD on Conductor they have to change not only USB board but also another DAC board?

Enviado desde mi SM-G900H

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,864 of 1,995
Hmm.. didn't know there was a newer one too. They will still have to do something to the DAC board though. The DAC is actually what does the DSD, the CM6632A just transfers data. The DAC that the conductor is using is DSD capable already, it's just that the Conductor isn't using those capabilities. If it just needs some firmware to enable it or more hardware changes I am not entirely sure. I would think it would need a modified/new DAC board though.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #1,866 of 1,995
I have a couple of questions for here. Anybody using an outboard dac with good results or is the amp/preamp section to big of a bottle neck? Also, would a DSD capable dac work with the Burson? I assume it would not but I may be wrong.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,867 of 1,995
i connect my concero hd as a  spdif transporter, sometimes to play dsd straight to the internal amp or the pre

i use the conductor to amplify the audeze, and when i m with my girlfriend the pre section to the adam active monitors

it works perfectly in both the case

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,868 of 1,995
Like to share my experience on improving Burson Conductor with tweak.

Burson Conductor due to its hefty weight is very sensitive to footer tweak which is designed to reduce vibration.

The burson conductor is using a sabre dac chip.

Recently I have this opportunity to experiment with this tweak "Solid Tech Feet of Silence" footer. Cost aside (ouch, this foot is not inexpensive). Using three footers, two directly below the two transformers ( footer should be placed at the heaviest point for maximum effect) and another on the other side for support. Effect is a darker background and sound becomes more relax and natural. Harshness is been tamed.  There is more focus, control, clarity and precision  in sound which result in a very three dimensional sound stage. Any attempt to stack a dac/headphone amplifier on top of burson conductor resting on the footer makes the sound noticeably blurry. I quite amazed at the sound improvement made possible by the footer. If you find burson conductor sounds fatigue, you might want to try experiment with a footer.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,869 of 1,995
  Like to share my experience on improving Burson Conductor with tweak.

Burson Conductor due to its hefty weight is very sensitive to footer tweak which is designed to reduce vibration.

The burson conductor is using a sabre dac chip.

Recently I have this opportunity to experiment with this tweak "Solid Tech Feet of Silence" footer. Cost aside (ouch, this foot is not inexpensive). Using three footers, two directly below the two transformers ( footer should be placed at the heaviest point for maximum effect) and another on the other side for support. Effect is a darker background and sound becomes more relax and natural. Harshness is been tamed.  There is more focus, control, clarity and precision  in sound which result in a very three dimensional sound stage. Any attempt to stack a dac/headphone amplifier on top of burson conductor resting on the footer makes the sound noticeably blurry. I quite amazed at the sound improvement made possible by the footer. If you find burson conductor sounds fatigue, you might want to try experiment with a footer.

If DAC is in fact that sensitive to vibration might be interesting to apply sheet of sound proofing to bottom of DAC such as is used inside PC case.  It blocks noise but also dampens vibration.  Have applied to underside of a turntable & tube amp  to good effect.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090359.html?productid=840556090359&channelid=FROOG&gclid=CjwKEAjwk_OhBRD06abu3qSoxlwSJACt7sZ72cWmVdWx4pfGR8Fjlim3oqb0G7rt0XDagUPXM7zl9hoCi67w_wcB

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #1,870 of 1,995
Parts Connexion puts a piece of sound dampning material under the top lid as part of their Signature mods. Also, the stock volume control is fairly heavy and changing to Khozmo lightens it quite a bit. You might try one of the feet underneath it?

Also, FYI the Burson Conductor's feet are held on by fine threaded metal screw's. Removing the stock feet leaves said screw dangling below and the only way to get to it is by removing the insides. Not something an average Joe would want to do.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,871 of 1,995
Note that the following is applicable only to those running Burson conductor with tenor usb receiver rather than the cmedia usb receiver as the cmedia does not require driver to be installed.

For those having mac computer and think of upgrading to latest Yosemite OS, beware that the burson driver may not compatible with the Yosemite OS. The sound has a lot of distortion (as if the driver is not install). That is  the main issue for using custom driver  as it may need to be updated whenever a major OS is introduced. You may want to delay updating the OS.

I received the following error from Yosemite while trying to re-install the burson driver.

"System extension cannot be used.
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/BursonUSBDACAudio.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling itt, or contact the product's vendor for an update"

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,872 of 1,995
What's your output device order of preference for sound quality in foobar2000?

I don't have my CM6631a yet, but using Tenor this is mine: 

1 - KS : Burson Audio USB DAC
2 - WASAPI (event/push) : SPDIF OUT (Burson Audio USB DAC)
3 - DS : SPDIF OUT (Burson Audio USB DAC)
4 - ASIO : Burson Audio USB DAC Asyn ASIO

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #1,874 of 1,995
  Guys check this out: https://www.facebook.com/LeeShellyPhotography/photos/a.236314369776833.56288.169274989814105/726351150773150/?type=1&theater
Is this the new Conductor? (I see a remote, different volume pot, and is that a screen that displays volume position?)
I'm kinda pumped to see that photo :)

Very Interesting !

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,875 of 1,995
nice look, the knob reminds me of a safe

Quote:
  Guys check this out: https://www.facebook.com/LeeShellyPhotography/photos/a.236314369776833.56288.169274989814105/726351150773150/?type=1&theater
Is this the new Conductor? (I see a remote, different volume pot, and is that a screen that displays volume position?)
I'm kinda pumped to see that photo :)

that's what i was told end of june

Product refinement is an ongoing process for us and we'll always try to squeeze more performance out of our design and add functionality updates when possible.  But we dont' have any major revisions in the near future. 

hopefully they were just playing it safe in replaying

also check the photo in full size https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10446185_726351150773150_3193281172029534786_o.jpg

seems led lights forming a 2 digit effect behind the perforated 88 pattern in the aluminum front panel, you can see some stray light outlining the whole double 8 [88] pattern

also looks like an audeze stock cable's 1/4 trs termination plugged in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back