Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Jul 19, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #661 of 719
The reviews and description of the Classics definitely make them seem to be the musical choice, I'd be interested to hear your impressions when you swap back to them!

I finally put my Classics back in. I listened to the Vivid's for 5 to 6 weeks. After a while I got used to them and they were just fine. However I do love my Classic's! They sound clearer and more musical. I have a test list (18 songs) and I started by playing the whole list with my Vivid's still in. This covered Florence and the Machine, Steely Dan, Trombone Shorty, Bob Moses, one Pink Floyd song and one Fidlar song.
The Classics just sound better in every way. Just a personal opinion, but I will be putting my Vivid's in a drawer forever or until I sell them or the amp.

The path to audio bliss (IMO), is ZX-300 to SMSL SU-8 to Loki to Burson Fun-Classic to Grado GH2.:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Shane D

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #662 of 719
I finally put my Classics back in. I listened to the Vivid's for 5 to 6 weeks. After a while I got used to them and they were just fine. However I do live my Classic's! They sound clearer and more musical. I have a test list (18 songs) and I started by playing the whole list with my Vivid's still in. This covered Florence and the Machine, Steely Dan, Trombone Shorty, Bob Moses, one Pink Floyd song and one Fidlar song.
The Classics just sound better in every way. Just a personal opinion, but I will be putting my Vivid's in a drawer forever or until I sell them or the amp.

The path to audio bliss (IMO), is ZX-300 to SMSL SU-8 to Loki to Burson Fun-Classic to Grado GH2.:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Shane D
The Classics are very good. For music listening I think I’m starting to prefer them. I’ve been going back and forth between wanting a more detailed sound or just wanting to enjoy the music. The V6 classics let me do just that. Next I’ll probably have the SparkoS back in :) the endless pursuit of sound.....

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #663 of 719
I picked up a used Fun that had the base op amp in it. I had tried the V5 s and the V6 Vivids and Classics when I had a Lycan amp. So my first op amp roll with the Fun was the Sparkos op amps.

The Sparkos blew me away! I am done rolling now so I put the screws back into the top plate on the Fun. The Sparkos produce detail, bass and separation like I have never heard with any solid state or hybrid amp before. All of my headphones pair perfectly with the Fun now.

Sparkos and Fun will be my go to set up from now on. Well done Sir Andrew!

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #665 of 719
Jul 21, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #666 of 719
Jul 22, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #668 of 719
I was waiting until I had some good time with the V6 Classics and the THX 789 before sharing the review here, but that time has come.

If anyone wants to read my impressions of the FUN with stock op-amps, V6 Classics and in comparison to the 789 just give a click :)

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-fun.23238/reviews#review-22229

Thanks for the review. You gotta try Sparkos with Fun. I would be so curious how does it then compare to 789. :) 789 is on my 'to buy' list but I dont think I will get my hangs around it anytime soon.

Jul 24, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #669 of 719
Thanks for the review. You gotta try Sparkos with Fun. I would be so curious how does it then compare to 789. :) 789 is on my 'to buy' list but I dont think I will get my hangs around it anytime soon.

Once I get my Airist dac I'd have the ability to take a pair of Sparkos out of my X7 and test them in the Fun :)

Also, has anyone had the opportunity to hear both the Burson Fun with V6 Classics and either the MCTH, Lyr 3, Liquid Platinum or Bottlehead SEX?

I'm wanting to find a good tube amp for my low-impedance planars, but the Classic/Fun setup seems to kinda sound tubey in the right ways.

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #670 of 719
Sep 9, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #672 of 719
Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #673 of 719
Thanks for all the recommendation for Sparkos! It is really good with FUN.

Here is my take on Burson FUN:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-fun.23238/reviews#review-22603

Great review! Might be a good idea to move the power switch from the backside to the front, perhaps a small round silver or black power button should do well, and the power wires could be easily routed inside.

As for the default opamps, they measure extremely well and sound perfectly flat, crisp and clear and they're way better than the older NE5532 made by TI and most likely already found in 90% of recording studios.
Also, placing AD797 or MUSES03 in the default FUN Basic version will need to rename the device from FUN to anything else, because there will be not much need to roll opamps anymore, so lack of fun. :)

BTW, LM6171 has max. recommended voltage of +/-15V, while FUN has somewhere between +/-16.2-16.5 V, so not highly recommended inside FUN, although with small heatsinks on top could the job do well I guess.

L.E.: Of course you're right about the +/-15V voltages on the opamps inside FUN, so seems that my memory falls short a bit here, because PLAY is the one that has around +/-16.2V and not FUN. So, please ignore my above statement about the LM6171. Thank you!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #674 of 719
Fantastic review!

If you can please do another measurement with the V6s and the ones like OPA1611.

Unfortunately I don't have the Burson V6s and OPA1611.

Great review! Might be a good idea to move the power switch from the backside to the front, perhaps a small round silver or black power button should do well, and the power wires could be easily routed inside.

As for the default opamps, they measure extremely well and sound perfectly flat, crisp and clear and they're way better than the older NE5532 made by TI and most likely already found in 90% of recording studios.
Also, placing AD797 or MUSES03 in the default FUN Basic version will need to rename the device from FUN to anything else, because there will be not much need to roll opamps anymore, so lack of fun. :)

BTW, LM6171 has max. recommended voltage of +/-15V, while FUN has somewhere between +/-16.2-16.5 V, so not highly recommended inside FUN, although with small heatsinks on top could the job do well I guess.

L.E.: Of course you're right about the +/-15V voltages on the opamps inside FUN, so seems that my memory falls short a bit here, because PLAY is the one that has around +/-16.2V and not FUN. So, please ignore my above statement about the LM6171. Thank you!

Ha ha ha... yes that's right not much fun anymore when the stock Op-Amp is already very good.

By the way, could any of you measure the output impedance of FUN? I keep getting very low result on the output impedance which is great. But Burson spec of the output impedance is 6 ohms. Why so much different between official spec and measured?

Also the power supply that come with my unit is very poor. Not sure it is just mine or all other unit come with that poor power supply. The ripple noise also very high.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #675 of 719
Unfortunately I don't have the Burson V6s and OPA1611.

[...]

By the way, could any of you measure the output impedance of FUN? I keep getting very low result on the output impedance which is great. But Burson spec of the output impedance is 6 ohms. Why so much different between official spec and measured?

Also the power supply that come with my unit is very poor. Not sure it is just mine or all other unit come with that poor power supply. The ripple noise also very high.

Not sure if it worth the trouble and shipping costs, but if you really want to, I should be able to provide you V6s Classic & Vivid.

Almost 0.5 Ohms I measured as well, on PLAY, PLAYMATE and FUN, at around 1KHz. @amirm measured about the same on PLAY.

I can't find my scope measurements right now, but I think that without load AC ripple & noise was at most 1mV RMS; I also remember that my FUN had +/-17V on the opamps, but please wait until I'll find my measurement or I'll need to do them again on next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back