Burson Audio Fun (2w pc Class A Headphone Amp)
Jan 25, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #691 of 719
As the Burson Fun has output RCA´s to be used as a Pre amp, I suppose it can be used as a headphone amp and at the same time be connected to a receiver/speaker amp by connecting the pre amp out at the Fun to a Line in at the receiver, by using a stereo Interconnect cable.

But, when I do so, the sound level will be VERY low at the receiver and when turning the volume knob up (CW) at the Fun, the sound will go off and there´s a hearable click from a relay in the Fun, and after turning the volume knob down again (CCW), there´s another click again and the dampened sound will come back.

Is´nt it possible to use the Fun as a Pre amp, connected to a receiver´s Line in for listening to speakers?

I´ve tried with both a pair of headphones connected and unconnected with the same result!

So, you're trying to run an amp off an amp? Sounds tricky.

I put my Fun in the office. My run is computer to D30 DAC to Fun-Classic to Vanatoo T Zero active speakers. The sound is awesome! And it also gives me a headphone option.

I love the sound of this amp, but have been VERY disappointed with the quality of the parts. I may pick up a new power cord to try and fix it. I certainly can't sell it like this.

But the sound is awesome...

Shane D

Jan 25, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #693 of 719
As the Burson Fun has output RCA´s to be used as a Pre amp, I suppose it can be used as a headphone amp and at the same time be connected to a receiver/speaker amp by connecting the pre amp out at the Fun to a Line in at the receiver, by using a stereo Interconnect cable.

But, when I do so, the sound level will be VERY low at the receiver and when turning the volume knob up (CW) at the Fun, the sound will go off and there´s a hearable click from a relay in the Fun, and after turning the volume knob down again (CCW), there´s another click again and the dampened sound will come back.

Is´nt it possible to use the Fun as a Pre amp, connected to a receiver´s Line in for listening to speakers?

I´ve tried with both a pair of headphones connected and unconnected with the same result!
Make sure you’re using the preamp outputs. There are two sets of rca jacks on the back. One is for input while the other is for preamp out.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #694 of 719

That's very strange behavior. I'm using the Fun as a headphone amp (headphones plugged in) and preamp (no headphones plugged in), with the RCA inputs connected to a DAC and the RCA outputs connected to a power amp (which does not have a volume control of its own). You should not get output from the receiver if a pair of headphones is plugged into the Fun. And with the Fun at max volume, the RCA outs should be at line level (basically like connecting the source directly). The Fun never starts clicking like you describe for me. There's a relay that engages / disengages depending on whether headphones are plugged in, of course.
Are you using the TRS input on the front or the RCA inputs on the back?

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #695 of 719
I´m connected a CD-players analog Line out to the Fun´s RCA Input, then from the Fun´s Preamp Output to a Home cinema Receiver Denon AVR1604´s Line in (AUX/VCR), using speakers.

Also without headphones TRS connected to the front 1/4" (6,35mm) headphone jack, the sound from the speakers are VERY low.

The Fun specifications say´s the headphone output are 6 Ohm while the Preamp Out are 25 Ohm - maybe it´s not compatible with my connected receiver? As the Fun relay switch off to mute the sound at high level, there may be something wrong!?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #696 of 719
Should the Preamp Out from the Fun maybe preferrably be connected to Tape In at the Home cinema Receiver, and not the Line IN or AUX?

Will Tape In require a lower voltage level than an ordinary Line In, suitable for use with Preamp?

Also, when the signal are going through the Fun, I think it will get the sound signature from the Fun. But if connecting the source directly to the Receiver´s Line In, then the Receiver´s Tape Out to the Fun´s input so it will be able to use the Fun with every sources connected to the Receiver - will this limit the sound quality and/or give the sound signature from the Receiver and does the Receiver need to be powered On to get the signal feeded to the Fun?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #697 of 719
I´m connected a CD-players analog Line out to the Fun´s RCA Input, then from the Fun´s Preamp Output to a Home cinema Receiver Denon AVR1604´s Line in (AUX/VCR), using speakers.

Also without headphones TRS connected to the front 1/4" (6,35mm) headphone jack, the sound from the speakers are VERY low.

The Fun specifications say´s the headphone output are 6 Ohm while the Preamp Out are 25 Ohm - maybe it´s not compatible with my connected receiver? As the Fun relay switch off to mute the sound at high level, there may be something wrong!?
I misread your original post, I read "loud" instead of "low". It would be normal for the volume to be low unless you increase it at the Fun, that's why it's a preamp (intended for connecting to something like the Burson Bang power amp). I think you probably should use an RCA Y-splitter instead, and connect your CD player directly to both the Fun and the receiver at the same time this way. Both have their own volume control, this minimizes the chance of blowing your headphones because you forgot to lower the volume first.

When you don't have headphones connected, do you still have a 6.35 mm (1/4) to 3.5 mm (1/8) adapter plugged in? I'm wondering whether something is shorting the headphone out there and the Fun is going into protection when you increase the volume. Does the Fun also have that relay click when no music is playing?

Should the Preamp Out from the Fun maybe preferrably be connected to Tape In at the Home cinema Receiver, and not the Line IN or AUX?

Will Tape In require a lower voltage level than an ordinary Line In, suitable for use with Preamp?

That should be fine, the only one to avoid is the phono input. You're sure you're not using that one, right? I hope the reveiver doesn't have some switchable feature to turn an input into a phono input or turn it into an output. :beyersmile:

The only special thing about a tape in is that the tape out is muted when the tape in is selected, otherwise you'd have a loop if you're connecting an actual tape deck properly.

Also, when the signal are going through the Fun, I think it will get the sound signature from the Fun. But if connecting the source directly to the Receiver´s Line In, then the Receiver´s Tape Out to the Fun´s input so it will be able to use the Fun with every sources connected to the Receiver - will this limit the sound quality and/or give the sound signature from the Receiver and does the Receiver need to be powered On to get the signal feeded to the Fun?
Only one way to find out! I'd expect both methods to affect the sound somewhat, but it depends on how it's routed internally. If the receiver's tape out is a passive loop out, the impact might be minimal, though more likely it's buffered, there's a muting relay in the path, and possibly digital processing. I would definitely be surprised if the tape out works when the receiver is off.

If you are only planning on using the Fun with your CD player, I'd use RCA splitters. In some rare cases that may require both target devices to be turned on. Using a passive preamp in reverse (and volume set to max) could help there. The Schiit SYS can be used as an output switch this way, for instance.
For multiple source, you could use a switch or preamp and a splitter to both the Fun and the receiver. Might be tricky /expensive if you need remote control, though.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #698 of 719
Brought the FUN out of retirement with the V6 Vivids using Focal Clears....just a wonderful pairing!! For the price this Class A amp still "Rocks" calrity and transparent...
2 Watt amp...drives the Clears soooo nice...compared the other day with a $899 HPA-1 amp, a measurebators dream amp and the little Class A amp was as good and as clear as the higher priced super measuring amp...just goes to show how well measurements really mean when they are out of a humans hearing capability!

Bursons Fun is still an excellent Class A amp!

Alex

Mar 25, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #699 of 719
I had to pop open my Burson Fun-Classic today and change PCB's. Man, there are a TON of screws! I was so afraid of breaking something. I hit a roadblock at the volume knob. Did LOTS of searching which brought me back to this thread. Luckily I got the advice that I needed and kept going (volume knob needs to be pried off very carefully).

Fortunately when I put it back together everything seems to work. I have had this amp for about a year and it has been anything but smooth going. Hopefully everything will work well for years now. Currently it has been demoted to the office sound system, but still sounds great! Topping D30 DAC > Burson Fun-Classic > Vanatoo Transparent Zero speakers.

Anyway, thanks to the contributors that make Head-Fi a fun AND informative place to hang out!

Shane D

Mar 25, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #700 of 719
I just sold my Fun, but you only have to take out 4 screws to remove the top half of the case to change out op amps....but you had to change the pcb?? What was wrong with it??

Mar 25, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #701 of 719
I just sold my Fun, but you only have to take out 4 screws to remove the top half of the case to change out op amps....

Yes I have done that many times. It is 22 screws to change a board.

Mar 26, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #702 of 719
Yes, I remember the Alps volume pot needed quite alot of force to remove!

When I reinstalled my new board, I add some thermal heat paste (for PC-usage) between the transistors and the enclosures bottom for maximum cooling.

And the best way for reassembling, is to fastening all screws half way before turning them all the way down with moderate force (at least for those at the transistors!).

Mar 26, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #703 of 719
Yes, I remember the Alps volume pot needed quite alot of force to remove!

When I reinstalled my new board, I add some thermal heat paste (for PC-usage) between the transistors and the enclosures bottom for maximum cooling.

And the best way for reassembling, is to fastening all screws half way before turning them all the way down with moderate force (at least for those at the transistors!).

Yes, when assembling anything, or reassembling something don't tighten anything until you are all done each component. Board, case, etc.
I wish I had some grease around to put on the volume knob, but oh well. Anyway it works well and the annoying little problems are fixed, at least for now.

May 7, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #704 of 719
Brought the FUN out of retirement with the V6 Vivids using Focal Clears....just a wonderful pairing!! For the price this Class A amp still "Rocks" calrity and transparent...
2 Watt amp...drives the Clears soooo nice...compared the other day with a $899 HPA-1 amp, a measurebators dream amp and the little Class A amp was as good and as clear as the higher priced super measuring amp...just goes to show how well measurements really mean when they are out of a humans hearing capability!

Bursons Fun is still an excellent Class A amp!

Alex
Indeed. Even with the basic opamps it's https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/burson-fun-headphone-amp-review.12799/

And this was Burson's FIRST application of the MCPS. :) Exceptional performance (2W!) for $199.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back