Burson 160D or DACmini for HD650s?
Aug 16, 2011 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

WuDofu

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm currently looking for a DAC/amp box upgrade for my HD650s. I mainly listen to classical music with a bit of jazz, so I'm looking for more detail, clarity, and most importantly soundstage performance without sacrificing too much of the warm presentation of the HD650s. (it's simply a pleasure to listen to symphonies)

I heard the Burson is really outstanding for rock and electronica, so I'm curious as to how the Burson would perform for more slower paced music like classical and jazz. Although, I'm also attracted to the DACmini's smaller footprint and better USB implementation. I'm always open to other suggestions as well, but the Burson is probably the highest I'm willing to go as it's already pushing the price bracket. Thanks for the help in advance.

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 15
Matrix Quattro DAC with Quattro balanced amp and balanced cable for HD650...beautiful synergy!

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 15
I've been listening to Saint-Saens, Bruch, and Bill Evans almost exclusively this week on the Burson, and I have found it quite enjoyable and analytical for my classical/jazz tastes.  Haven't listened to the DACmini, comparing it to the Meier stack and the peachtree offerings.  Also, I've been using the K701 which I prefer for classical over the HD6xx's.  I have the HD800's coming in within the next couple weeks, I can let you know how the sennheisers pair with the Burson.  

Aug 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 15
The Audio GD FUN is a great DAC/Amp combo. Pretty neutral and great soundstage with the HD650s. You can even swap the opamp in the DAC section to fit your tastes. Listening classical and jazz music (as I do the 95% of the time) is simply a thrill. FWIW, the Audio GD NFB-5 seems to be better than the FUN at the same price.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
The Audio GD FUN is a great DAC/Amp combo. Pretty neutral and great soundstage with the HD650s. You can even swap the opamp in the DAC section to fit your tastes. Listening classical and jazz music (as I do the 95% of the time) is simply a thrill. FWIW, the Audio GD NFB-5 seems to be better than the FUN at the same price.

yep I really enjoy my nfb5. I was planning to buy the 160d too, sent an email to burson but never got a reply so went ahead and purchased from audio gd. as aroldan said, you can swap the opamp. I have the opa moon in it and loving the sound. With classical and jazz the soundstage is great and insturements are well seperated. Build quality is great too. and only less than half the price of a burson.

And also I use it with my bijou. Great combination!

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 15
How one did it take to get yours?  I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and they said it should be shipped because they were out of the Opamp I ordered with it.  

Quote:
yep I really enjoy my nfb5. I was planning to buy the 160d too, sent an email to burson but never got a reply so went ahead and purchased from audio gd. as aroldan said, you can swap the opamp. I have the opa moon in it and loving the sound. With classical and jazz the soundstage is great and insturements are well seperated. Build quality is great too. and only less than half the price of a burson.

And also I use it with my bijou. Great combination!

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 15

mine took 1 week to despatch and another to arrive.. I guess I was lucky and they had the hdams in stock. I got an opamoon and a sun with mine.
Quote:
How one did it take to get yours?  I ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and they said it should be shipped because they were out of the Opamp I ordered with it.  

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 15
I got the same things but I got the DIR9001.  I am glad someone is enjoying their NFB-5 because I was getting worried that they wouldn't perform as good have said.  I really would like to run this with the LCD-2 but Im not sure if they'd be strong enough to power them.  One person has mentioned they have more than enough power to do so and I hope thats true but I'm waiting impatiently for my amp...haha

Quote:
mine took 1 week to despatch and another to arrive.. I guess I was lucky and they had the hdams in stock. I got an opamoon and a sun with mine.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 15
ah yeah mine has the dir9001 too. I think its enough for my 702s
smily_headphones1.gif
thats all I can say.

Now enough with de railing the thread
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
I got the same things but I got the DIR9001.  I am glad someone is enjoying their NFB-5 because I was getting worried that they wouldn't perform as good have said.  I really would like to run this with the LCD-2 but Im not sure if they'd be strong enough to power them.  One person has mentioned they have more than enough power to do so and I hope thats true but I'm waiting impatiently for my amp...haha

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I've been listening to Saint-Saens, Bruch, and Bill Evans almost exclusively this week on the Burson, and I have found it quite enjoyable and analytical for my classical/jazz tastes. 

I have also been listening to classical from a budget FM tuner through one of the 160D's inputs and it's been very enjoyable indeed.  You can hear the the ambience of the concert hall, getting a sense of the performers positioned in the space, as well as the music itself.  Burson's analogue pedigree is evident.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Hey all, I'm currently looking for a DAC/amp box upgrade for my HD650s. I mainly listen to classical music with a bit of jazz, so I'm looking for more detail, clarity, and most importantly soundstage performance without sacrificing too much of the warm presentation of the HD650s. (it's simply a pleasure to listen to symphonies)

I'm going to be the odd one out and say that the HA-160D probably isn't the best bet for jazz and classical. It does many things well, but one area in which it falls short is a lack of air and space between images. For big orchestral recordings, it would not be my first choice.

I would recommend getting a seperate amp, namely the Beta22 (either 3 channel, or balanced), and pairing it with a decent source. The Burson DAC-160 or a Buffalo 32S would be the top-grade choices, but something as humble as a HeadAmp Pico would do the job as well.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
I'm going to be the odd one out and say that the HA-160D probably isn't the best bet for jazz and classical. It does many things well, but one area in which it falls short is a lack of air and space between images. For big orchestral recordings, it would not be my first choice.

You are not the odd one out because I never said it was the 'best bet', just that I had been enjoying it 
normal_smile .gif
.  My experience of classical is pretty limited, so I wasn't making any kind of absolute statement about the Burson's ability in that area.  Haven't heard classical through the dac section yet either.

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 15
That was my thought originally; I've been hearing a lot about the Burson, but does anyone know how the dacmini does with classical?

Quote:

I would recommend getting a seperate amp, namely the Beta22 (either 3 channel, or balanced), and pairing it with a decent source. The Burson DAC-160 or a Buffalo 32S would be the top-grade choices, but something as humble as a HeadAmp Pico would do the job as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back