burn in ..?
Jun 25, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Not everyone believes that or feels it necessary.

When I got my HD-800 last week, I plugged them in and started listening right away. Maybe the sound will change, maybe it won't. I'm enjoying it right now and think I will keep enjoying them whether they have one hour or a thousand hours.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 8
Sorry, but did you even search before posting?
wink.gif

Cause this is one subject that come up quite often around here...

Anyway, please start here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/s...d-burn-366741/

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by field /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could someone please explain to me why you need to play certain headphones upwards of 80 hours before you get the best quality out of them?

80 ? Clearly you arent familiar with the acronym 'AKG' - bwaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa
k701smile.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 8
sometimes it also goes the other way around, I loved the sound of the DIP8 LM4562/49720 when brand new...and didn't like it after a few days, the "magic" had disappeared. didn't notice this issue w/ the TO99 versions
smily_headphones1.gif

some headphones/equipment need burn-in, some don't...when I asked beyer about it, they told me "it's no voodoo, but we prefer not to comment that matter"
wink.gif

but whatever caps/amps/drivers, it's only logical that they'd need some time to settle in
redface.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 8
From personal experience with my AKG 701's burn in is definitely necessary.  I've had my 701's for about 2 1/2 weeks and put about 200 hours through them playing various music from electronica, jazz, hip hop, pop and notice a big difference in the bass.  The bass started off pretty poor almost non existent.  The 701's are not known for their strong bass, but I was not expecting so little, but yes with burn in, they are starting to show their true color.  In regards to k701's yes burn in is valid.  I won't comment on burn in for other audio equipment such as sources, or amps, cables ect. as I've not had the chance to do any trials of my own.  But for now, my rule of thumb is to give all new equipment a few weeks to "settle" before making judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back