Building a CD3000 rig ($900 MAX)
Jul 22, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Interesting you recommend the R10 driver housings, even if as a last resort. Are you saying that if he were to receive his PPA and recable his CD3000, yet still crave more bass and impact that the Headphile mod could possibly provide him with it?

Not really. Personally, I will stop with the cable upgrade and will not go any further because I already have excellent sources and amps. However, everyone preference is difference; therefore, if Azure feels that he still need more bass...he might can turn to Larry as a last resort. I was very surprised at how much you like your heavily modded CD3000, which is good for you. OTOH, I found the cable makes bigger difference than cups. The orinal cups were tuned for that drivers. By changing the housing properties, you will change the sound character of the headphones. OTOH, you can enhnace all the good qualities by just using a better cable. By using R10-size cups on the CD3000 will not make it an R10. You should really get a stock CD3000 and compare them with your heavily modded CD3000 side by side and tell me what you think.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

IMO stock is fine with bassboost...and will give you what you need...period...now you can keep on enjoying your mutilated uneven spectrum, and suggest others to do it as well, or being realistic and try the bassboost like a man!!! and listen the fullness of what the sound should be!!!!! (j/k OK?)

Or you could recabled the CD3000 and press the bassboost button and have even more bass.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who preffer the CD3K with no bass boost, likes a lean bass sound and period, the CD3K needs bassboost to preform its better...

Skylab said my CD3000's sounded really groovy and had way more bass than the old stock pair he heard. I also got the impression that he used to own that stock pair, but I'm not certain, however if this was the case it would mean he's a lot more familiar with a stock CD3000 than I am having never heard one. And as we all know, Skylab loves his bass.
basshead.gif
tongue.gif

Also, I was simply stating I was content with the CD3000's in modded form, so it's not impossible. It seemed like you said the only way for him to get enough bass was to go with some sort of bass boost. I was trying to say, but failed, that if Azure is anyhting like me he could be completely happy w/o a bassboost.

And purk, I'd love to be able to own a second pair of CD3000's, but my wallet simply doesn't permit. I actually thought I was going to have to sell my modded pair, but am lucky enough to be able to hold onto them. I feel it's out of the question for me to ever really buy a second pair, however I have contemplated throwing down the $40 some odd dollars to Partstore or whatever to buy a pair of the original driver housings to swap and A/B with. But they will always be recabled to balanced XLR with one of Alex's cables it looks like.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab said my CD3000's sounded really groovy and had way more bass than the old stock pair he heard. I also got the impression that he used to own that stock pair, but I'm not certain. As we all know, Skylab loves his bass.
basshead.gif
tongue.gif

And purk was recommending the wood driver housings it seemed.

No I didn't recommend the wood housing because wood cups will change the CD3000's original sonic signature. I believe Azure love the way the stock CD3000 sound but only wants more bass and tame the brightness. I acomplished that in the past by upgraded to silver dragon. I also went all out with a headphile upgrade three years ago, but the headphile modded change too much of what I like most out of the CD3000 and decide to go back to just the cable upgraded. I paid nearly 400 bucks with headphile upgrade, FYI. Azure, if you like a lot of bass....the JVC DX1000 is not a bad choice. You should check them out.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #65 of 73
Lol. You all type way too fast for me. After seeing your response to my second post, purk, I changed it. My bad.

Edit: Just saw one of Sov's comments.

3dB's of bass attenuation is a lot, and I honestly can't imagine a CD3000 being that bass deprived. If I were to eq my CD3000's with a 3dB bass hump I'd be at L3000 quantity... Definitely NOT to my favor.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

3dB's of bass attenuation is a lot, and I honestly can't imagine a CD3000 being that bass deprived. If I were to eq my CD3000's with a 3dB bass hump I'd be at L3000 quantity... Definitely NOT to my favor.

NOt really... With the bassboost, and upgrade cable...the L3000's bass is still better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

Lol. You all type way too fast for me. After seeing your response to my second post, purk, I changed it. My bad.

Edit: Just saw one of Sov's comments.

There is too little information on that region of the 20Hz and a little up, if you boost 3db from 20Hz up, the rest will be less, as it is a curve, and probably you will not have too much info at 20Hz but the rest will improve definitelly, also the bassboost I used was variable, you can tune it to your need, depending on the recording...

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #68 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NOt really... With the bassboost, and upgrade cable...the L3000's bass is still better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha. Quantity doesn't mean quality. Didn't mean to step on the L3000's toes.

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Haha. Quantity doesn't mean quality.
wink.gif

The quality of the CD3k bass is very good, the quantity is what is a little lean IMO...but what you hear is perfectly fine and very good, just that I miss what I do not hear...
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, and I'm sorry. I'm just unusually precautious when it comes to this type of stuff (a $200+ cable, of all things), and I'm careful when taking into consideration anyone's opinions due to various factors (different gear, music preferences, sonic preferences, better/worse ears, mood, etc).

I apologize for second-guessing you, purk.

I've decided to go with the PPA for the amplifier. Now all that is left is to decide whether or not to have the CD3000s re-cabled (or spend that money on music CDs).

20 additional CDs are surely a wise choice.
IME an aftermarket cable will have a subtle effect at best unless you are prone to hallucinating major cable induced bass boost and warmness.
You've already came to the reasonable decision yourself - a synergistic amp and whatever kind of tone control are your best bet for the major change you are looking for.
Another promising approach for closed cans that could potentially achieve a change in tonal balance beyond the reach of a tone control is fiddling around with the damping similar to the Fitz mod for the ATH-W5000s, but this would need lots of experimentation.

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

20 additional CDs are surely a wise choice.
IME an aftermarket cable will have a subtle effect at best unless you are prone to hallucinating major cable induced bass boost and warmness.

Not really, if you have a good system, you will hear difference. It is a good bit different for me when I compared the stock CD3000 and recabled CD3000. I consider that to be a worth while upgrade, but it is your money...so it is your decision to make.

I also brought both of my CD3000 and the recabled CD3000 for Tom Hankins to listen to and he did compare them side by side and he really liked how CD3000 improved after the upgrade. You don't have to spend 200 dollars on a new cable....wait awhile for a good deal and send it to moon-audio and pay him 60 bucks for the upgrade. I paid 100 bucks for a used silver dragon. So the $150 bucks was worth while for me.

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #72 of 73
Ugh, I'm having a hard time finding a PPA w/ STEPS & variable bass boost. Are there any budget amps (~$100) that you guys could recommend that I could use until I find a PPA? Here's what I'm looking at:

MisterX XP Amp
Headsave Classic
Go-Vibe V6M
PIMETA

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #73 of 73
A maxed out Pimeta?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back