Building a CD3000 rig ($900 MAX)
Jul 18, 2007 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
[I posted this in the Headphones forum because it applies to BOTH sources and headphone amplifiers, and I figured that this would then be the best place to post this]

My CD3000 came in on Monday, and I'm loving it. Very fast, clean, detailed, and has a supernatural-sized soundstage (all wrapped up in a mighty comfy headphone!). Unfortunately, my source and amp is the Benchmark DAC1, which has resulted in a lean, bright sound. Comparing my CD3000 to my DT990, I really admire the DT990's bass power/volume and more controlled highs. So, the DAC1 is going to have to go, and I'm now in the market for a new DAC/amp. I'm looking for the following:

-Increased bass volume & slam (I want to add WEIGHT to the music; I'd really like the CD3000 bass to sound/feel a bit more like the DT990 bass, if possible)
-Smooth, non-fatiguing highs (I don't want the CD3000 to have recessed highs, but I don't want them to be anywhere near as fatiguing as they currently are with my DAC1)
-Airy with a large soundstage (I don't want anything that sounds "in-your-face" a la Grados. I love air and soundstage; the more the better!)

Budget is $900 MAX (I would strongly prefer to spend less than that). Here's what I've been looking at:

Source:
Apogee Mini-DAC (non-USB)
CI Audio VDA-2
Lavry DA10
Music Fidelity X-DAC v3
Stello DA100 (Would require finding a used DA100, which can be difficult...)
Zapfiltered Zhaolu

Amp:
Corda HeadFive (I am curious about cross-feed...)
Darkvoice THA336i
Woo Audio 3(+)/6
PPA (Diamond buffer, variable bass boost, OPA627/637, STEPS)
Singlepower PPX3 (MAYBE SLAM, if I can find a good deal)
Stello HP100 (Filter B)
X-CAN v3

As you can see, I'm having a tough time narrowing it down (especially considering all the mixing and matching that can be done). Woody may be an option, if Larry still offers the service; do consider the cost of woodying a CD3000, though. Would a different headphone be a better solution, perhaps? Any help is much appreciated
3000smile.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 73
What you want to accomplish Spraggih basically got with a Rudistor RPX-33 (according to his impressions in the RPX-33 thread). Problem is, that is 2x your budget on the amplifier alone...should have known what you are getting into when you got the CD3000 =]

I believe you should stay with the Benchmark, since right now you are probably using its internal amplifier...which...well...sucks. It was stupidly bright with w5000, it should be even more painfully bright with the CD3000...its just the integrated amp. Then grab a Darkvoice to use with it for now. Darkvoices add alot of weight in the lows, especially with low impedance cans, and they should help smooth out the treble. Then later on when you can afford it, try to get a really synergistic amplifier, maybe an RPX-33.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 73
there was a melos just last week on ebay, went for 430

doesn't the xdac v3 and singlepower fit the upper limit of your budget? of course I can't speak from experience but it seems like a very interesting combo

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you want to accomplish Spraggih basically got with a Rudistor RPX-33 (according to his impressions in the RPX-33 thread). Problem is, that is 2x your budget on the amplifier alone...should have known what you are getting into when you got the CD3000 =]

I believe you should stay with the Benchmark, since right now you are probably using its internal amplifier...which...well...sucks. It was stupidly bright with w5000, it should be even more painfully bright with the CD3000...its just the integrated amp. Then grab a Darkvoice to use with it for now. Darkvoices add alot of weight in the lows, especially with low impedance cans, and they should help smooth out the treble. Then later on when you can afford it, try to get a really synergistic amplifier, maybe an RPX-33.

Well, I just sold the DAC1, so that's out of the question now
frown.gif

So, you recommend a Darkvoice for now? What source other than the DAC1?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there was a melos just last week on ebay, went for 430

doesn't the xdac v3 and singlepower fit the upper limit of your budget? of course I can't speak from experience but it seems like a very interesting combo

I'm talking about used prices for the X-DAC and Singlepower PPX3 (and possibly SLAM).

EDIT: Holey moley! The Rudistor is 1300 Euros! Yeah, that's a wee bit outside of my budget; I'd rather spend half of that to get a used PPX3 SLAM O_O

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 73
Told you it is 2x your budget...
rolleyes.gif

If I was sitting with 900 bucks for something like CD3000 (why the hell did you sell a DAC1 honestly, its going to be hard for you to get a better source to work with on your budget), I'd try to get a DV 336i, and then pit the rest of the budget (and do my best to increase it) for the best source you can get your hands on. If you don't mind using CDs, Rega Planet 2000 would rock (get one used, very favorable prices for the SQ it provides).

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 73
Quote:

Told you it is 2x your budget...
rolleyes.gif

If I was sitting with 900 bucks for something like CD3000 (why the hell did you sell a DAC1 honestly, its going to be hard for you to get a better source to work with on your budget), I'd try to get a DV 336i, and then pit the rest of the budget (and do my best to increase it) for the best source you can get your hands on. If you don't mind using CDs, Rega Planet 2000 would rock (get one used, very favorable prices for the SQ it provides).

If I just sold my DT990 instead of my DAC1, then I wouldn't have enough $ to purchase a headphone amp. If need be, I can always pick up another DAC1 if I want to. Is there any reason why the DAC1 is a better source for the CD3000 than a Stello DA100?

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 73
I would remove the SHA-1 from your list. IMO the synergy between it and the CD3000 isn't something to write home about (it's very good with the HP-1000 and L3000). My guess is the CD3000 needs a more tubey sounding amp and the Melos has a solid state sound with a slight midrange bloom (depending on tubes used).

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 73
There is at least 4 amps in that list that are not a good match for the CD3K at all, for obvious reasons, given my status, I could not say which unless via PM...

Also i could add that my PPA will be far less than $900 (but more than $300) and will beat a few of the remaining ones, if not all of them of that list...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is at least 4 amps in that list that are not a good match for the CD3K at all, for obvious reasons, given my status, I could not say which unless via PM...

Also i could add that my PPA will be far less than $900 (but more than $300) and will beat a few of the remaining ones, if not all of them of that list...
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Do keep in mind that it's $900 or less for both the amplifier and the source
3000smile.gif

I've read a lot of positive comments about the PPA/CD3000 combo from you and some others, but I've also read a lot of comments that seem to indicate tubes work very well with the CD3000. Is there any particular reason why you prefer the solid state PPA over a tube amp for the CD3000?

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3000smile.gif

I've read a lot of positive comments about the PPA/CD3000 combo from you and some others, but I've also read a lot of comments that seem to indicate tubes work very well with the CD3000. Is there any particular reason why you prefer the solid state PPA over a tube amp for the CD3000?

Because he likes solid state amplifiers. =] (No offense Sovkiller, both things work both ways, but that seems to be the best explanation for your preference).

Stello might be a better source for CD3000 tonality wise than DAC1, but frankly you would have a hard-time getting the Stello, does not look like anyone wants to sell theirs =] (I for sure don't). Prolly in the grand picture DAC1 is not the best choice, but I think with your budget selling it was not a good idea. I am pretty sure by selling all phone but the CD3000 (didn't you have dt990 and sa5000?) you would amass the budget for a Darkvoice, they are not that expensive.

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 73
Quote:

Because he likes solid state amplifiers. =] (No offense Sovkiller, both things work both ways, but that seems to be the best explanation for your preference).

Stello might be a better source for CD3000 tonality wise than DAC1, but frankly you would have a hard-time getting the Stello, does not look like anyone wants to sell theirs =] (I for sure don't). Prolly in the grand picture DAC1 is not the best choice, but I think with your budget selling it was not a good idea. I am pretty sure by selling all phone but the CD3000 (didn't you have dt990 and sa5000?) you would amass the budget for a Darkvoice, they are not that expensive.

That is an incorrect assumption my friend, my first amp was tube amp FYI, an MGHead OTL MKII, for the HD600, also if the heapdhone is question were the HD650 for example, I would reco a tube amp blindly, for a Grado for exa,ple we all know that the Melos is a really good match which is a hybrid amp, but for the CD3K sorry to tell you, that after owning it for a lot of years and testing it with all imaginable amps, I can tell you, that I do feel that it pairs far better, same as any other sensitive low Z hepadhone, with some SS amps...others are not that good...but tubes in general are a little syrupy for my taste with it, and lack the guts to power it properly to the full extension of what, for example, my PPA does...

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3000smile.gif

not sure who told you about the synergy between the tubes and CD3K, but honestly I do not feel that way...
How about spending 300 on a source and 600 on the amp...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously you do not need that much to make you CD3K shine...

IMO the PPA is one of the most underrated amps here in Headfi. It is a truly high end top notch amp, trust me on that...

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 73
Haha my tastes are so badly reverse of yours. I can't stand MG Heads with any of the Senns, that just does not work for me. I do think that CD3000 asks for more neutrality though with a punchier tonality, RSA/Rudi style. Its just that such amps in the low price range are rare, I am not a fan of cheaper SS amplifiers (no experience with PPA).

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 73
Quote:

If worse comes to worst, I can always sell the DT990 and pick up a new DA100
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the SA5000, but I sold it and the D2000 to buy the CD3000 (and some other miscellaneous items).

Sovkiller - Okay, you feel that the CD3000, as a low impedance headphone, pairs best with solid state amplifiers. For what I'm looking for (warmth, smoother & less harsh highs, and more body/volume to the bass), do you still suggest a solid state amplifier over tubes?

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 73
Azure, with my CD3000 i prefer my PPAV2 to my Rudistor RP5.1. Give more strenght in the bass and realy control it with vigor. I'm in the same boat than Sovkill, PPA all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back