Building a CD3000 rig ($900 MAX)
Jul 21, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moon-Audio.com
The detail and speed of this cable is truly amazing in the midrange and high frequencies. It will shock you how much of a difference it will make over the stock cable. And will remove the veil all Sennheiser headphones seem to have.

That is what it says for the Silver Dragon V2 on Moon Audio's website. Will this really tame the CD3000 highs and make them less bright and harsh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear a difference all right. Night and day.

Trouble is, I did not like the resultant sound from the SD cable (too bright, for one) as well as the cable's physique (microphonic & stiff). The stock cable is perfect in terms of physique as well as me liking the softer/more balanced sound. So I sold off the less-favoured cable and got me an AKG K601.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #47 of 73
Any mod that can posibly make with the CD3K will change the sound for sure, but to what extend this change will be towards a better sound is the question, different not always means better...one thing I can tell you for sure, do any mod you want, and will still ahve the same sound siugnature, and the amount of bass you will get will not be enough to satisfy you...you need to literally boost it with something from upstaris OK...
3000smile.gif

A heard a few modded CD3K and still preffer the stock one, as the mods cost you an arm and a leg, and will not solve the problem at all...

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #48 of 73
Azure, without trying to sound sarcastic, you have a history of asking people who have heard a particular product about said product, then second guessing their responce.
Purk has had this particular pairing, and has told you what he felt it did. He's a very well respected member with some great insights IMO, and he's given you some solid advice. The choice is yours whether to believe in his opinions or not, but don't second guess him. He gave you what you asked for.

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Azure, without trying to sound sarcastic, you have a history of asking people who have heard a particular product about said product, then second guessing their responce.
Purk has had this particular pairing, and has told you what he felt it did. He's a very well respected member with some great insights IMO, and he's given you some solid advice. The choice is yours whether to believe in his opinions or not, but don't second guess him. He gave you what you asked for.

I know, and I'm sorry. I'm just unusually precautious when it comes to this type of stuff (a $200+ cable, of all things), and I'm careful when taking into consideration anyone's opinions due to various factors (different gear, music preferences, sonic preferences, better/worse ears, mood, etc).

I apologize for second-guessing you, purk.

I've decided to go with the PPA for the amplifier. Now all that is left is to decide whether or not to have the CD3000s re-cabled (or spend that money on music CDs).

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #50 of 73
The easiest bit would definitely be to get the rig set up first, try tweaking the amp (opamp rolling, etc.) and if there is still something a bit off, try the cable. The PPA is definitely a good idea in that you could use the bass boost to dial in the exact amount of bass you want, as that is your major issue at the moment. I think the effort is worth it, since you mostly listen to electronica, and really like the CD3K for those purposes.

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #51 of 73
Holey smokes! How have I missed this entire thread?! I don't come on here nearly enough!

Azure: I'd say the PPA is a good choice. Buy the amplifier and see if it can provide you what you're looking for. If you ever find yourself craving for more detail, a wider/airier soundstage, warmer sound signature and perhaps even more extension on both frequency extremes I'd say you can't go wrong with one of Alex's cables. I do know, however, that Rob (Skylab) heard both a stock pair of CD3000's as well as my modded pair and said mine had WAY more bass. So, I'd have to disagree with Sov here and say you don't only have to change the equipment upstream to change the sound of your headphones favorably. There's a few mods you can do to those CD3000's to make 'em some major PRaT monsters, at least imo.

I'm not sure if the R10 style woodies will change the sound sig to your favor, but you could always ask Larry for an audition. He might be willing to lend them to you for a while seeing as he'll probably end up holding onto them a lot longer than if you choose to buy them.
tongue.gif
Idk anyone else in the market for some wood driver housings for their CD3000's... Most people who are/were interested in this type of modification have already decided to mod (or not) their pair already. It's worth a try.

Also, I'd just like to say if you ever feel the need to send me a PM concerning anything at all, just give me a shout. I'd be glad to help any Head-Fier in need! (Especially those interested in CD3K's.
3000smile.gif
)

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #52 of 73
As a side note khbaur330162's pair have zero dampening inside. This may account for some of the difference. They don't seem to be negetively effected by this either, I didn't hear that honkey resonance, and was quite surprised to find the cups void of dampening.
I think you're on the right track Azure. Change one thing at a time, and evaluate that before opting for the next tweak.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #53 of 73
I'd get a mosfet amp like the beta22 or that new KG design... that should tame some of the harshness of the CD3000 and drive them quite well. As for a DAC, if I were in the market right now I would have someone build me a TwistedPear Opus.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for a DAC, if I were in the market right now I would have someone build me a TwistedPear Opus.

Just keep twisting that knife.
tongue.gif

I tend to agree about the amp choice. And may concede on the DAC too.

Matt is having a balanced ϐ22 built for his, and I'm quite curious as to his impressions when he receives it.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #55 of 73
evil_smiley.gif

You know you want one buddy!
wink.gif

You may as well wait until we make up a prototype of our opus with the tubed output stage though... I'm sure if all goes well we could have Renato build you one as well.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now all that is left is to decide whether or not to have the CD3000s re-cabled (or spend that money on music CDs).

Azure you and I both know what the better (only) choice here is.
3000smile.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... So, I'd have to disagree with Sov here and say you don't only have to change the equipment upstream to change the sound of your headphones favorably. There's a few mods you can do to those CD3000's to make 'em some major PRaT monsters, at least imo.

I'm not sure if the R10 style woodies will change the sound sig to your favor, but you could always ask Larry for an audition. He might be willing to lend them to you for a while seeing as he'll probably end up holding onto them a lot longer than if you choose to buy them.
tongue.gif
Idk anyone else in the market for some wood driver housings for their CD3000's... Most people who are/were interested in this type of modification have already decided to mod (or not) their pair already. It's worth a try.

Also, I'd just like to say if you ever feel the need to send me a PM concerning anything at all, just give me a shout. I'd be glad to help any Head-Fier in need! (Especially those interested in CD3K's.
3000smile.gif
)....

Again, for 100th time, I owned the CD3K for 7 years or more, and tried to find a way of making them sound the way I like, of course not modding mine, but listening others that were modded, and I was not able to find a single mod, that make me hesitate in modifing them from stock, and the only way I found was the PPA with bassboost..
Trust me that you will not change the nature of the sound on the CD3K nor will make them sound with the impact and lower octaves right, as for example what you get from the R-10 or the Edition with any mod that you can make to them, put a better cable, a whole Amazonian forrest in the cups and you still will need more bass, and more impact...Azure please do not waste time modding it, there is not a single mod that will increase 3db on the low octaves of a heapdhones, trust me on that...you need a bassboost after the bassboost, a refinement is in order if you still need it, then mod them to your liking, but a mod alone, will not solve your problem...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

That is what it says for the Silver Dragon V2 on Moon Audio's website. Will this really tame the CD3000 highs and make them less bright and harsh?

A good silver cable will not sound bright and harsh. A good silver cable can tighten the bass as well as enhancing bass definitions and musical details while making the high less harsh but more extended. Again, I had a good result with Moon Audio Silver Dragon, even more so than Headphile cable. I've tried both but I prefer the sound of my Silver Dragon on my CD300. During the Atlanta meet 2 years ago, the attendee actually prefer my modded CD3000 w/ SD + stock cups than modded CD3000 w/ SD + R10-size woodcups. Larry offers many kind of housing for CD3000, so each shape, style, and type of housing can alter the sonic differently. So my impression is only valid for my pair with the R10 cups.
Regarding cable upgrade, why don't you give Drew of Moon-Audio a call? He has been around for a long time and he can find the cable that fit your needs. Plus, he has recabed several headphones including Qualia, CD3000, RS1, PS-1, and even GS-1.

Quote:

Holey smokes! How have I missed this entire thread?! I don't come on here nearly enough!

Azure: I'd say the PPA is a good choice. Buy the amplifier and see if it can provide you what you're looking for. If you ever find yourself craving for more detail, a wider/airier soundstage, warmer sound signature and perhaps even more extension on both frequency extremes I'd say you can't go wrong with one of Alex's cables. I do know, however, that Rob (Skylab) heard both a stock pair of CD3000's as well as my modded pair and said mine had WAY more bass. So, I'd have to disagree with Sov here and say you don't only have to change the equipment upstream to change the sound of your headphones favorably. There's a few mods you can do to those CD3000's to make 'em some major PRaT monsters, at least imo.

I'm not sure if the R10 style woodies will change the sound sig to your favor, but you could always ask Larry for an audition. He might be willing to lend them to you for a while seeing as he'll probably end up holding onto them a lot longer than if you choose to buy them. Idk anyone else in the market for some wood driver housings for their CD3000's... Most people who are/were interested in this type of modification have already decided to mod (or not) their pair already. It's worth a try.

Also, I'd just like to say if you ever feel the need to send me a PM concerning anything at all, just give me a shout. I'd be glad to help any Head-Fier in need! (Especially those interested in CD3K's. )

Here are pics of my modded CD3000 with R10-size cups. I really like the change in sound signature initially but in the end I prefer the sound of recabled CD3000 better as I found the modification didn't change the sound signature of the headphone, but rather enhanced many good qualities while correct some deficiencies of the CD3000.

Here are pics of old pairs.

RotationofIMG_9717.jpg

RotationofIMG_9729.jpg

Quote:

The easiest bit would definitely be to get the rig set up first, try tweaking the amp (opamp rolling, etc.) and if there is still something a bit off, try the cable. The PPA is definitely a good idea in that you could use the bass boost to dial in the exact amount of bass you want, as that is your major issue at the moment. I think the effort is worth it, since you mostly listen to electronica, and really like the CD3K for those purposes.

I agree with iron_dreamer on this. Azure, you should go easy and start with the amp first. If the amp can't get you where you want the CD3000 to be, you can get the cable upgrade. If the upgrade is not enough, try a headphile cups. FYI, headhile cups and cable upgrade can be around $400.

Sov,
Quote:

Again, for 100th time, I owned the CD3K for 7 years or more, and tried to find a way of making them sound the way I like, of course not modding mine, but listening others that were modded, and I was not able to find a single mod, that make me hesitate in modifing them from stock, and the only way I found was the PPA with bassboost..
Trust me that you will not change the nature of the sound on the CD3K nor will make them sound with the impact and lower octaves right, as for example what you get from the R-10 or the Edition with any mod that you can make to them, put a better cable, a whole Amazonian forrest in the cups and you still will need more bass, and more impact...Azure please do not waste time modding it, there is not a single mod that will increase 3db on the low octaves of a heapdhones, trust me on that...you need a bassboost after the bassboost, a refinement is in order if you still need it, then mod them to your liking, but a mod alone, will not solve your problem...

I also got my CD3000 since 2001 and the Silver Dragon cable upgrade really made my CD3000 better. At that time, I had two CD3000 together so I was be able to compare them side by side and was be able to discern the improvement. At that time, I had SACDmods Sony SCD-C555ES as a source and RKV Mark II w/ Impedancer and the PPA as my home amps.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then the sound you liked was completely artificial to what a CD3000 could provide under normal circumstances. I guess our tastes simply differ, which is okay. I think you can achieve enough bass attenuation with a few mods. You say it isn't enough and actually want to tamper with the signal. Both are fine ways of achieving similar goals and I'm glad you were happy for your 7 some odd years of ownership. And I'm also glad to report that I'm happy right now.
3000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

You're now contradicting your signature by not only stating YOUR opinion, but choosing what Azure will/will not hear, and whether or not he will be satisfied with whatever it is that you choose him to hear. I am perfectly content with the amount of bass and impact my CD3000's provide without any type of bass boost and it looks like a few other respected members of this forum feel the same way. Also, the sarcasm is not needed. I only stated my opinion, and you stated yours. Politely accepting our mere dissagreement on the matter would have been a much more mature method of dealing with the matter. And please. You are not omniscious, even when dealing with (y)our precious CD3000's, so don't pretend to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
I agree with iron_dreamer on this. Azure, you should go easy and start with the amp first. If the amp can't get you where you want the CD3000 to be, you can get the cable upgrade. If the upgrade is not enough, try a headphile cups. FYI, headhile cups and cable upgrade can be around $400.

Interesting you recommend the R10 driver housings, even if as a last resort. Are you saying that if he were to receive his PPA and recable his CD3000, yet still crave more bass and impact that the Headphile mod could possibly provide him with it?

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then the sound you liked was completely artificial to what a CD3000 could provide under normal circumstances. I guess our tastes simply differ, which is okay. I think you can achieve enough bass attenuation with a few mods. You say it isn't enough and actually want to tamper with the signal. Both are fine ways of achieving similar goals and I'm glad you were happy for your 7 some odd years of ownership. And I'm also glad to report that I'm happy right now.
3000smile.gif

It is not a matter of being artificial or not, is a matter IMO of what you like, indeed you will never know how the recording is supposed to sound like and trust me that all recordings are artificial in one way or another...the CD3K needs help in the low octaves (as many other headphones I have heard, with just two or three exceptions) how to boost those if it is not equing, I do not have any other suggestion, IMO there is absolutelly no other way!!!!

Quote:

You're now contradicting your signature by not only stating YOUR opinion, but choosing what Azure will/will not hear, and whether or not he will be satisfied with whatever it is that you choose him to hear.

He stated what he wants, FYI we have crossed a few emails (which probably you are not aware) and I know exactly what he wants, and he seems to be after the same I was after...and not after what you are after...he wants more bass out of the CD3K in that region, not an slightly better performance due to any tweak. That change is not achivable via any tweak I know off...Not sure if you have a secret one...and no, no flat amp will make you hear a bass out of the CD3K equivalent to the bass of the R-10 or Edition 9, sorry to disagree on that...

Quote:

I am perfectly content with the amount of bass and impact my CD3000's provide without any type of bass boost and it looks like a few other respected members of this forum feel the same way. Also, the sarcasm is not needed. I only stated my opinion, and you stated yours. Politely accepting our mere dissagreement on the matter would have been a much more mature method of dealing with the matter. And please. You are not omniscious, even when dealing with (y)our precious CD3000's, so don't pretend to be.

You are, that is fine, he is not, and I was not, so what? And I do not care too much of what the respected members like or not (following a few of those respected members, I have wasted a lot of money already in BS...) Also a lot of respected members like things that I do not, so I stopped following respected members advices blindly, and I suggest you to do that same, and do what I do from now on, the only respected members I follow from now on, are my respected ears...period!!!

You preffer one thing, we preffer another, your earing is not better than ours for that, simply different...

Who preffer the CD3K with no bass boost, likes a lean bass sound and period, the CD3K needs bassboost to preform its better...sorry to disagree for 101th time, and no I do not pretend to know all about the CD3K, all I know is that you are hearing an incomplete and uneven spectrum right now, if you are not using a bassboost, and you are missing around 3db in the lower bass region right now, that is for sure!!!! I was just trying to help him and avoid him to spend in BS mods that will take him nowhere...

IMO stock is fine with bassboost...and will give you what you need...period...now you can keep on enjoying your mutilated uneven spectrum, and suggest others to do it as well, or being realistic and try the bassboost like a man!!! and listen the fullness of what the sound should be!!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
(j/k OK?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back