Building a CD3000 rig ($900 MAX)
Jul 18, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha my tastes are so badly reverse of yours. I can't stand MG Heads with any of the Senns, that just does not work for me. I do think that CD3000 asks for more neutrality though with a punchier tonality, RSA/Rudi style. Its just that such amps in the low price range are rare, I am not a fan of cheaper SS amplifiers (no experience with PPA).

No, I never say that I like it neither, IMO that is a myth, they are not that good match as people claim them to be, but it was indeed my first entrance level amp, and I sold it, along with the HD600, which I never liked neither...

BTW surprinsingly good, but nothing expectacular was also the Perreaux SXH-1 with the CD3K, a little romantic combo...

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #17 of 73
Hehe, warm = WooAudio... CD3000 out of one of the Woo amps sounded like a liquid warmth monster, and later I found out that CD3000 is actually bright and clinical (I had hard time believing that).

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sovkiller - Okay, you feel that the CD3000, as a low impedance headphone, pairs best with solid state amplifiers. For what I'm looking for (warmth, smoother & less harsh highs, and more body/volume to the bass), do you still suggest a solid state amplifier over tubes?

If you want warmth, which I was not after, just drop the OPA627 in all three channels and you will be ready to go with a PPA...or 637/627...I liked the THS from TI, which are the fastest I could find, faster than the AD8610/8065, and any BB OPAmp at least. I had also a kit of OPAms that I sent along to some members to try different OPAmps with the PPA long time ago, not sure where it went though now. What I did realized is that not all persons have the same taste, my PPA has also variable bass boost (Dial O Bass), so you can tune it to your taste for different recordings...others has only a fix value, on or off...

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want warmth, which I was not after, just drop the OPA627 in all three channels and you will be ready to go with a PPA...or 637/627...I liked the THS from TI, which are the fastest I could find, faster than the AD8610/8065, and any BB OPAmp at least. I had also a kit of OPAms that I sent along to some members to try different OPAmps with the PPA long time ago, not sure where it went though now. What I did realized is that not all persons have the same taste, my PPA has also variable bass boost (Dial O Bass), so you can tune it to your taste for different recordings...others has only a fix value, on or off...

Do you think the OPA 627/637 combination would give more warmth and bass volume/impact than the Darkvoice (do you think certain tubes would do a better job at doing this compared to the OPA 627/637, disregarding your preference of the PPA for its other sonic merits?)?

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Do you think the OPA 627/637 combination would give more warmth and bass volume/impact than the Darkvoice (do you think certain tubes would do a better job at doing this compared to the OPA 627/637, disregarding your preference of the PPA for its other sonic merits?)?

Sorry I could help you here, as I have not heard the Darkvoice, but a PPA with a bassboost on, is a real bass monster, no other amp stock will beat it, not sure about warmth as this has more to do with he distortion pattern than with the bass...a PPA with black gates tend to be a little edgy, mine has Elna cerafines which are smoother...

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

but tubes in general are a little syrupy for my taste with it, and lack the guts to power it properly to the full extension of what, for example, my PPA does...

Depends on the tubes you use. Certainly 12AU7s and 12AX7s are as you describe, but they wouldn't suit Azure's tastes in music anyway.

Things based around tubes like the 5687 and 6N6P would be a much better idea, and won't have syrupy sound signatures or lacking extention, provided the amp topology was up to snuff.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #22 of 73
IMO the best way for you to go is a Zapfiltered Zhaolu and a Darkvoice. I'm not saying so just because I happen to own both, but for your budget it's the best fit. Both units will help you eek some more bass out of the CD3000's, and you'll get a bit of added warmth.

Quote:

but tubes in general are a little syrupy for my taste with it, and lack the guts to power it properly to the full extension of what, for example, my PPA does...

I couldn't disagree more. I used to power my K340's with a PPA, and the Darkvoice does a better job of it IMO. And I've never experienced the syrupy presentation with a Darkvoice, but I agree that the tubes you choose will certainly play a roll in that.

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #23 of 73
Azure, perhaps this has not been considered, but maybe the CD3000 is a lean and bright headphone, and that is why it sounds lean and bright? And perhaps it does not fit your taste?

Just a thought.
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Azure, perhaps this has not been considered, but maybe the CD3000 is a lean and bright headphone, and that is why it sounds lean and bright? And perhaps it does not fit your taste?

Just a thought.
wink.gif

I have considered this, in which case I would really like suggestions for other headphones (basically CD3000 + bass is what I'm after).

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

I have considered this, in which case I would really like suggestions for other headphones (basically CD3000 + bass is what I'm after).

Well I have an idea then, if you get to sell the CD3K well, and put all the money that you are planning to spend now, into the heapdhones only, you probably will solve that problem. Trust me that if you like the CD3K signature, as I was after that same dream, there is no other help for your case that the Edition 9...and maybe the R-10 which is far more expensive and hard to find than even the CD3K....but later on you will have the same problem you have now, a good amp for it, and a good source for it...

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #26 of 73
A PPX3 Slam will give you the bass that you want and you can find some good deals on used ones right now. Then you can get a cheaper source and save up for what you really want, which is a DA100, if that is an option. I am definitely enjoying this combo.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

The CD3000 is a rather unique headphone. It will be hard to find the CD3000 sound plus a lot of bass. I remember it taking after the R10 in the bass quantity department but sounding much more rounded.

Due to its lean and bright nature, system matching is more important than usual. But the CD3000 is capable of good sound. I particularly enjoyed it at one meet with a Sugden Headmaster.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 73
If your previous headphone ventures can be used to determine what you're after, I'd say you were looking for a headphone system with the speed and air of an electrostatic, and the bass and price of a dynamic. If this is the case I just can't think of any system that will fill those requirements. Am I completely off base?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CD3000 is a rather unique headphone. It will be hard to find the CD3000 sound plus a lot of bass.

Not true my friend, khbaur330162's headphiled pair have both in spades.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #29 of 73
Azure I will render my case here, man, follow the advices you feel better suited, and the ones you like, but personally I needed the bass-boost to get the bass I need out of them (as with many other headphones out there) trust me that you will not get the bass slam you are after, out of any tube, or any stock audiophile amp with a completely flat response, trust me on that.
You need a tweak for the very low octaves, there is no tube on earth that could boost it enough to make it sound as the Edition or the R-10, at least I could not find any, and if you manage to get it, IMO it is the same case as using any bass-boost, you are literally artificially boosting it, you will be Eqing it, that is a common problem for headphones in general, the low octaves are always lacking...and the ones are not then are boomy which IMO is far worst...

I owned them for almost 8 years, and tried all amps you can possibly dream off looking for my dream, the only that was close enough was the PPA with bassboost...different pairs, different amps, same results...

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #30 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your previous headphone ventures can be used to determine what you're after, I'd say you were looking for a headphone system with the speed and air of an electrostatic, and the bass and price of a dynamic. If this is the case I just can't think of any system that will fill those requirements. Am I completely off base?

Speed and air don't have to be at the electrostatic level, but have to be around the level of the SA5000 or CD3000. One particular reason why I like the CD3000 is because it is a closed headphone, yet it retains a fast & airy sound. I can live with not having DT990 level bass with the CD3000, but I don't think I can live with the bass performance of the CD3000 being driven by a DAC1.

Larry told me that he has some R-10 style cups left that he could possibly sell to me (though I'd have to install them myself). I believe khbaur330162 had some sort of deep-chamber design very different from the R-10, though, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back