Building a CD3000 rig ($900 MAX)
Jul 19, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #31 of 73
Well I do agree with Sovkiller that you won't turn the CD3000's into bass monsters with just an amp and source. You can only hope to gain a little more bass. The woody versions I heard however were nearly as bassy as my DT990, but very well controlled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe khbaur330162 had some sort of deep-chamber design very different from the R-10, though, correct?

His are different than the R-10 style and deep, but I'd ask larry if he thought the R-10 style cups would increase the bass level. And installation is a snap, I could easily guide you through it.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW surprinsingly good, but nothing expectacular was also the Perreaux SXH-1 with the CD3K, a little romantic combo...

I'll second that -- I used this combo for years and that little Perreaux was magic with the CD3000s. It's not an easy amp to find used but might be a great and inexpensive choice if one comes up. It's an odd thing, everytime I think about letting mine go I can't do it. Don't feel that way about any of the other amps I own.

happy hunting and best,

o

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #33 of 73
I agree with sovkiller that you should get something with bass boost, or EQ. I find my pair of CD3000s steeply roll off around 45-50 Hz on every amp I've tried them with. An EQ seems ideal since I found their highs way to fatiguing even at low volumes.

I remember purk saying that the recable on his CD3000 made a bigger difference than wood cups (which I believe where normal depth). You might want to PM him, he has heard (and owned) a lot of gear.

Jul 19, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #34 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember purk saying that the recable on his CD3000 made a bigger difference than wood cups (which I believe where normal depth). You might want to PM him, he has heard (and owned) a lot of gear.

And this may account for much of what I heard on Matt's pair. They had just been recabled balanced by Alex ([AK]Zip), and I was listening through my balanced amps. All of that may have been a factor, but they certainly had great bass presence. The highs could tend to be a little fatiguing on some material, but all in all I was most impressed.

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the best way for you to go is a Zapfiltered Zhaolu and a Darkvoice. I'm not saying so just because I happen to own both, but for your budget it's the best fit. Both units will help you eek some more bass out of the CD3000's, and you'll get a bit of added warmth.

What other warm sources have you heard compared to the Zapfiltered Zhaolu? Is the Zapfiltered Zhaolu darker than the DAC1?

Has anyone heard the CD3000 with both the PPA w/ variable bass boost and a budget tube amp (Darkvoice, Woo Audio 3, etc.)?

So, my options are:
1. Recable (not sure what kind to optimize bass performance?)
2. R-10 woody
3. Darkvoice
4. PPA w/ variable bass boost
5. Zapfiltered Zhaolu
6. Stello DA100
7. EQ (I have no problem with using EQ)

Hmm...

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have an idea then, if you get to sell the CD3K well, and put all the money that you are planning to spend now, into the heapdhones only, you probably will solve that problem. Trust me that if you like the CD3K signature, as I was after that same dream, there is no other help for your case that the Edition 9...and maybe the R-10 which is far more expensive and hard to find than even the CD3K....but later on you will have the same problem you have now, a good amp for it, and a good source for it...

Oh man, as soon as I read the 'sell cd3k', I knew where this was going. This honestly might be the best suggestion Azure will get with his demands.

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #37 of 73
I'm not ready to purchase a $1000+ pair of headphones yet
blink.gif

The PROline 2500 wouldn't work?

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

What other warm sources have you heard compared to the Zapfiltered Zhaolu? Is the Zapfiltered Zhaolu darker than the DAC1?

IMO the DAC1 was grainier than the Zapped Zhaolu. The Zapped Zhaolu is more dynamic, smoother, more enguaging with deeper, tighter bass than either the DAC1 or the Lavry Black. It's warm, but I wouldn't call it dark. If you want to add more warmth tube choice will be the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, as soon as I read the 'sell cd3k', I knew where this was going. This honestly might be the best suggestion Azure will get with his demands.

I disagree. I think as long as he likes the treble responce of the CD3000, he can add the bass and warmth he's looking for.

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

I'm not ready to purchase a $1000+ pair of headphones yet
blink.gif

The PROline 2500 wouldn't work?

The PROLines would work, but, you need a lot of time to get used to them, and the presetnation is different from the CD3K, I was listeting them alone for a few weeks before liking them completelly, and after liking them, I jumped to the Edition 9, and sell them imediatelly...no way I will go back again!!!!

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #40 of 73
From your list Azure, if I was personally in your position, I'd try the #3 and #5, and then if there is a budget left, go for the R10-style woody with that. Also if you can, just hit up the San Jo August 25th meet, that would help you alot on your quest.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Azure, perhaps this has not been considered, but maybe the CD3000 is a lean and bright headphone, and that is why it sounds lean and bright? And perhaps it does not fit your taste?

Just a thought.
wink.gif

it's not and lean at all through the apogee mini dac, I am using the internal amp in this dac and it sounds GREAT not lean and not bright at all

Quote:

I have considered this, in which case I would really like suggestions for other headphones (basically CD3000 + bass is what I'm after).

if you want cd3k and bass then the ps1s are a fav or mine but they are 2K right now I would look at keeping the 3000s and getting a better amp/dac combo

Jul 20, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Has anyone heard the CD3000 with both the PPA w/ variable bass boost and a budget tube amp (Darkvoice, Woo Audio 3, etc.)?

So, my options are:
1. Recable (not sure what kind to optimize bass performance?)
2. R-10 woody
3. Darkvoice
4. PPA w/ variable bass boost
5. Zapfiltered Zhaolu
6. Stello DA100
7. EQ (I have no problem with using EQ)

If you want to enhance the overall sound signature of the CD3000, I would get the CD3000 a Silver Dragon cable upgrade. From my experience with the CD3000 (I owned 3 pairs in past), the SD cable did give the CD3000 better bass definition and extension while also widen the soundstage. The SD also make the CD3000 warmer as well as removing somoe harshness from the treble. Other benefits include more resolution, details, and slightly warmer tonality.

OTOH, if you want to turn the CD3000 into a different headphone, you can get them a headphile modification package. I went with a R10-size Bubinga + Purple heart cups and headphile cable upgrade, but later decided to go back to the CD3000 and Silver Dragon cable upgrade as the reason stated above.

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to enhance the overall sound signature of the CD3000, I would get the CD3000 a Silver Dragon cable upgrade. From my experience with the CD3000 (I owned 3 pairs in past), the SD cable did give the CD3000 better bass definition and extension while also widen the soundstage. The SD also make the CD3000 warmer as well as removing somoe harshness from the treble. Other benefits include more resolution, details, and slightly warmer tonality.

OTOH, if you want to turn the CD3000 into a different headphone, you can get them a headphile modification package. I went with a R10-size Bubinga + Purple heart cups and headphile cable upgrade, but later decided to go back to the CD3000 and Silver Dragon cable upgrade as the reason stated above.

Did you use the Silver Dragon version 1 or version 2?

I got a price quote from [AK]Zip for a re-cable and the price seems reasonable (I also emailed Moon-Audio for a Silver Dragon re-cable). I haven't heard back from Moon-Audio yet, but I'd guess that it'll probably cost more than [AK]Zip. Has anyone heard a CD3000 re-cabled by [AK]Zip (and possibly also one by Moon-Audio?). Here's the information he gave me on his cable (I'm illiterate when it comes to this stuff; anyone know what it means sonically?):

Quote:

...I use high grade silver plated copper wire (75% silver, 25% copper) covered in 2 layers of Kapton to protect from oxidation (humidity and air) then in Teflon to protect the wire itself. 4 wires are then twisted together and shielded using a silver shield. The shield is not used as the ground wire. It is only used as a shield and is directional. High grade 4% silver solder is used. There is no splicing anywhere in my cables...

He also said that he could use cotton insulation outside of the carbon sleeving.

For source I'm thinking Zapfiltered Zhaolu due to its much lower cost than the DA100. I'm still undecided on the amp (Darkvoice + EQ vs. PPAv2 w/ bass boost), though.

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #44 of 73
Quote:

Did you use the Silver Dragon version 1 or version 2?

I got a price quote from [AK]Zip for a re-cable and the price seems reasonable (I also emailed Moon-Audio for a Silver Dragon re-cable). I haven't heard back from Moon-Audio yet, but I'd guess that it'll probably cost more than [AK]Zip. Has anyone heard a CD3000 re-cabled by [AK]Zip (and possibly also one by Moon-Audio?). Here's the information he gave me on his cable (I'm illiterate when it comes to this stuff; anyone know what it means sonically?):

He also said that he could use cotton insulation outside of the carbon sleeving.

The cotton insulation is on the inside of the carbon sleeving.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also posted on page 2 of this thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this may account for much of what I heard on Matt's pair. They had just been recabled balanced by Alex ([AK]Zip), and I was listening through my balanced amps. All of that may have been a factor, but they certainly had great bass presence. The highs could tend to be a little fatiguing on some material, but all in all I was most impressed.

Here is a link to pictures of the pair he got to try. It is the cotton/carbon version. http://apuresound.com/images/cables/hcd3000.html

Thanks,
Alex

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #45 of 73
Azure,

The choice of cables is your to decide. I can't recommend anything else, but when I had the SD and Headphile cable side-by-side, I prefer the Silver Dragon Ver. 1. The SD use bigger gauge cable with more purity; therefore, it will be more expensive. My CD3000 was modified to have a dual cable entry. The labor cost was around 60 dollars from Moon-Audio. I bought the SD cable used from the Sell/Trade forum for around 100 bucks. You might also want to try the blue dragon to save on the cost of the cable, if you decide to go with moon-audio. I can't comment on Akzip cables as I've never tried his design, but many buyers seem to be very happy with what he has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back