Budget Phones?
Jul 5, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #32 of 39
I'm not obsessed with a neutral sound. I just don't don't want something that is going to sound like a pair of Skullcandys. In the past I've owned KSC75s and while I liked the sound I did not care for how the clip on style did not stay on my ears worth a crap. I've never heard the portapro but I would imagine sounds fairly similiar which is something I could live with. It doesn't hurt to ask though if there is something better for the price. I never really kept up with what was going on in the budgets cans market so for all I knew something could of knocked the Portapro/KSC75 off its perch. Looks like for the most part it still considered one of the best for the money though.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #33 of 39
It's been way too long since I've listened to the Portapro's to make any kind of comparison so I'll just refer you to a quot from a guy who has heard both recently...

Haha, well the first "decent" hQuoteeadphones I got were a pair of Maxell DHPii (Digital High Performance 2) from a local music store in our mall. They came with a great bag, extension, and 1/4" adapter. But as for the important part, to my "analytical" listening, I cant seem to find a set that matches these in the full spectrum. Ive owned them for about 3 months now. Porta Pros (close in bass, but not controlled), HD 238 (close all around but not as "lively"), HD 280 pro (from a freind, just sounded bad to me?), and a random assortment of IEMs (I hate IEMS) have all fallen, in my opinion, short of these cans. Though my new HD 238s are very nice, they still seem less lively than these phones.

It's not much but there you go.

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #34 of 39
Jul 5, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #35 of 39

Quote:
get KSC75 then get rid of the clip ons, and attach some other comfy/sturdy headband

The KSC75 does sound a lot better when attached to the Portapro headband. The Portapro drivers also sound better with the KSC75 clips!

So, another vote for either of these bang-for-the-buck portables.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #36 of 39
I decided to purchase the UR40's because I'm familiar with the drivers and the price is good. Plus I know the Koss name and the lifetime warranty is a bonus. They may not be the greatest sound there is but it is certainly good enough for what they will be used for. Thanks for all comments and suggestions. Cheers!

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #38 of 39
[size=10pt]That’s cool, you made a mistake but that's cool. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Anyway, take your KSC75 driver and first wrap a 2" thick piece of foam around the rear. Then put some extremely hard felt the consistency of thick construction paper that shouldn't even be used on an audio device and wrap that around front. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]YOU NOW HAVE YOUR UR40's![/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Seriously, they need modded to say the very least. Have fun.[/size]

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #39 of 39
I think I'll just listen to them as is but thanks for the advice.... Why would I go through the trouble of modding a $30 pair of headphones when I can just put on my K701s. I already know that there not the greatest. I bought these so I did not have to hassle with the K701s when using my laptop. I went into this knowing I wasn't going to get the best sound there is in the headphone world. They will suit my needs just fine and besides that I don't like buying phones from private sellers on Amazon. The only place I would do that is here on Headfi. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back