Budget Phones?
Jul 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

BMBROWN911

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a decent set of cans for just using with the computer without an amp. I know in the price range I'm looking at their really aren't many options and I know not to expect the greatest sound but I know their is decent sound to be had at my price range which is a whopping $30. So far about all I've found and been considering is the Senn. HD201 and the Koss Portopros. I considered the KSC75's but I've had them in the past and had issues with the clips actually staying attached to my ears so I don't think those will work for me again. How do these 2 cheap cans stack up and is there anything else in this price range to consider. I know my budget is limited but if there are any other cans that may interest me that I haven't mentioned please let me know. Also I don't want any recomendations from skullcandy or anything bassy like that. Looking for as close to a natural sound as I can get in this price range. Oh yea and I will also be using it with my old MP3 player so it will need to be drivable by the cheap IC chips they use for a headphone jack. Cheers!

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 39
Yhe HD201 is a great closed headphone for the price but the KSC75 sounds better. The Portopros are quite bassy so I don't know if they would be for you. There is also the PX100 but once again they are on the bassy sise and the KSC75 sounds better. The KSC75 is probably the best in the price range overall but I don't know if you would be willing to give them another shot.

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 39
I think so too. But yeah, go with the KSC75s, they're total gems.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 39
What about the Koss UR-40s?

Sound very good for the price and are lightweight and very comfortable.

Jul 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 39

Quote:
I always thought that the KSC75 and Portopro used the same drivers. Is that not true?

If I remember correctly the KSC75 should have the same portaPro drivers, but titanium coated. I have both, but mostly use the Portas. I prefer their fit (i'm not too much into clip-ons) and their sound, so my reccomendation is for the portaPro. I still like them more than both PX100 I and II, expecially for guitar oriented music like rock or metal.

Regards
K.

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 39
I like the ATH-FC700A better than all those mentioned above in this price range. Other than that, the HD 201 would be my pick for best cheapest headphones.

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 39
When I was younger I got a pair of the PortaPros with my first CD player. They lasted a good 4 year, before they broke, and unfortunately I did not realize that Koss had a lifetime, unconditional warranty. Anyway, if you're looking for an affordable, long lasting set of headphones, then the PortaPros are probably the best bet.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 39
The Koss UR40 is complete and utter trash. Boomy, muddy as hell bass, made for midget sized heads, and no detail whatsoever.

If you want good sound, extreme comfort, and portability, get the JVC HA-S700. For $25-30, this headphone will go a long way.

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 39
The UR40 is not boomy, it has decent detail retreival for the money. The mids are a little recessed but it sounds like an airier ksc75 , which is basically what it is as the drivers are the same. For 30 bucks it is good value IMO.

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 39
The HAS700 sells for under $30 shipped. It should work best for you if needing closed and portable for your MP3 player. But if not concerned if others hear what you're listening to and wanting open headphones, the UR40 should be a good choice. FWIR, the HAS700 will have a darker, bassier sound and the UR40 an airier, KSC75 type of sound. If only spending $30, I suggest choosing one of these based on your needs and the type of sound you want. My guess is you'd prefer the UR40.

The RX700 sells for over $30 shipped. For most it would not be a good choice for portable use since it is large. Most seem to prefer its sound modded instead of stock.  

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
The UR40 is not boomy, it has decent detail retreival for the money. The mids are a little recessed but it sounds like an airier ksc75 , which is basically what it is as the drivers are the same. For 30 bucks it is good value IMO.

Agreed. Obviously not up there with headphones costing 10x as much but what exactly do you expect from headphones costing only $20 online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back