Budget headphones for a basshead ($50)
Apr 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

niv141

New Head-Fier
Hey there,
Ive been browsing in the internet and mostly in this forum to find a headset suitable for my needs but really couldnt find anything that completely suit my needs, and right now I have a big headache seeing all these names and brands of headphones and "Do I want these" and "Do I want that" and really couldnt decide what headphones to pick, so I decided to make an account and ask here.

Starting off, im a complete newbie when it comes to headphones, not an audiophile and would'nt mind for these small things that bother audiophiles and would'nt bother the avarage person.

I am a complete bass lover, I mostly listen to dubstep, electro, techno, trap and other kinds of music that involve bass in it.
Just for a compartion of what kind of bass im looking for, my previous headphones (in-ear) were the JVC HA-FX101 xtreme xplosives and I just looooved them! the bass was amazing (for me, I like big bass) and I got them for $24. These headphones were exactly what I was looking for at the time, cheap and have a lot of bass and great quality (compared to their price). They died a week ago, and I wouldve bought another pair, only that I cannot listen to in-ear headphones anymore as I have a problem in my ear, and in-ear headphones gets too close to the inner side of the ear.

Now im on the hunt for headphones (cans, covering you ear, however they're called) with great bass as the JVC's and cheap price.

And one more thing, im not willing to buy an amp, im going to plug the headphones directly to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3)

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 25
How about Sony XB500? They may he a bit outside your price range new. You could also get the XB700 around $50 used if you are lucky.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 25
If you are in Australia, these about as far as $30 can go.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654944/sony-xb700-mint-condition

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 25
XB500 and XB700 won't disappoint you.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 25
I think you'd have a hard time finding XB700's or XB500's that are authentic within that price range. There's been a flood of cheap Chinese fakes on eBay recently, but the real XB700's have been getting bid up to $130 or so. I know because I sold one.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 25
Well, I live in the Middle East, pretty much most of the headphones on ebay located in usa/europe, which is pretty much most of them, the price for shipping is $50+, so even if I decide to go for the XB500 for $80 it would cost atleast $130 in total.

Do you guys know maybe a headphones by companies based in countries like Japan or China ? (f.e. JVC)
shipping fee from these 2 countries is completly free.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:
Well, I live in the Middle East, pretty much most of the headphones on ebay located in usa/europe, which is pretty much most of them, the price for shipping is $50+, so even if I decide to go for the XB500 for $80 it would cost atleast $130 in total.

Do you guys know maybe a headphones by companies based in countries like Japan or China ? (f.e. JVC)
shipping fee from these 2 countries is completly free.

P.S
do you think these are authentic ? 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BrandNEW-SONY-MDR-XB700-DJ-Headsets-Headphones-IN-Box-/151016846477?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item23294e348d

Those look a bit sketchy. $45 shipped for a brand new pair of XB700s? They retail for $180 and I am fairly sure that those are fake. Also, on 2 of the pictures, part of the headband is black instead of silver. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 25
alright after reading for quite a while in the basshead club thread, I found a headset which I think would fit me and also is avaibable in the shop in my town.
the AKG K518 DJ.
what are your opinions on that one ?

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:
alright after reading for quite a while in the basshead club thread, I found a headset which I think would fit me and also is avaibable in the shop in my town.
the AKG K518 DJ.
what are your opinions on that one ?

You can get the koss portapro and koss sportapro at lower price points: $30 and $24, and both have good to very good sound quality overall and very prominent bass.

I've spent a lot of time reading reviews on amazon and here on head fi. I've gotten 2 pairs of headphones with very strong reviews: the koss dj100's and klipsch s4i. Both were very disappointing.

The point being, headphone reviews are generally very unreliable for me as you RARELY find negative reviews overall or even middling reviews for headphones, regardless of price, brand or any other factor. People love their music so much apparently that they will recommend and buy just about anything. That's the sad reality of headphone reviews online.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 25
Check out the Sennheiser HD202. Picked a pair up not too long ago through Amazon for like $26.95.  I got them on a whim while trying to decide on much more expensive closed alternatives, after reading the review of them at http://www.headfonia.com/sennheiser-hd-202-review/.

They have too much bass for me actually, but just a notch or two down on the Sansa Clip Zip's lowest frequency EQ setting and suddenly wow, they are impressive headphones. They are somehow much more involving than the more expensive Sennheiser PX-100 II headphones I also have.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 25
Agreed the HD202 can actually go pretty far with some eq-ing. Still keep it as my isolating portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back