Budget DAC/Amp w/ 6.3mm jack
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Nidhal

New Head-Fier
Hello headfiers,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a budget, around the price of the FiiO E10k (or cheaper) desktop DAC/Amp combo unit for headphones but with a 6.3mm output jack. It's not about sound quality really rather I hate using a 6.3 to 3.5mm adapter and the 3.5mm plug is too weak and fragile for me, I've already damaged the motherboard's 3.5mm jack so if possible, the dac/amp includes Optical S/PDIF input that would be perfect! Also USB powered (no batteries please) I own an HD598Cs it's 23 Ohms doesn't really need an amp except for the quietest tracks, a low-gain or low power amp would be more than ok. Thanks!

TL;DR: 60-70€ max DAC/Amp combo with 6.3mm output and S/PDIF input.

First post tax:
qBWrz
KfZK5WL.jpg)

KfZK5WL.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 13
I can only think of one:

http://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-2

You can download the user manual to check out all the features. It has everything you asked for except for optical. I honestly don't know if there is anything else that comes close to what you want.

Not sure how Schiit sells into Austria though. You can also try to find one in classified. It's a small device so I can't imagine shipping is going too high.

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 13
At that price it's probably best to get used to the adapter. The E10K is one of the most popular options in that budget for good reason. More obscure combo units probably won't perform as well and sacrificing sound quality for a jack type that isn't standard on such small/inexpensive units may not be practical.
Good luck though, I'm interested to see what others recommend

Sep 29, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 13
Ah I thought your budget was listed in USD for some reason. Fulla 2 for sure!

Sep 29, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 13
@bflat Thanks dude! yeah I know I was too specific, the Fulla 2 can be hooked with USB so my problem is solved. I've read some posts and watched a couple videos and people are saying the quality is not great for the price, also @cossix , what about good quality DACs with the same description (either optical or USB for data)? I guess I can live without an amp at the moment.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 13
I've read some posts and watched a couple videos and people are saying the quality is not great for the price

I'd like to see a better DAC/amp for the price that does what the Fulla 2 can do.

Its DAC sounds extremely good for the price. (In fact, even when I did a comparison with a four figure DAC I had, they were often indistinguishable. I switched rapidly and volume-matched with a Schiit SYS passive preamp.) It has good specs, features, and enough power for most headphones. I'm not sure what those criticizing it are expecting at this price point.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 13
@bflat Thanks dude! yeah I know I was too specific, the Fulla 2 can be hooked with USB so my problem is solved. I've read some posts and watched a couple videos and people are saying the quality is not great for the price, also @cossix , what about good quality DACs with the same description (either optical or USB for data)? I guess I can live without an amp at the moment.
You have a low budget and your a little bit picky (quality costs money).
Guessing a FiiO or Schiit is about the best quality you could expect, for your budget.

Here is a nice aftermarket replacement cable for the HD598, comes with a 3.5mm plug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD579-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone/261255113290?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=560215640802&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 13
I'd like to see a better DAC/amp for the price that does what the Fulla 2 can do.

Its DAC sounds extremely good for the price. (In fact, even when I did a comparison with a four figure DAC I had, they were often indistinguishable. I switched rapidly and volume-matched with a Schiit SYS passive preamp.) It has good specs, features, and enough power for most headphones. I'm not sure what those criticizing it are expecting at this price point.
That's interesting about the Fulla and more expensive dac's! Needless to say, it's a great little guy for sure and well worth the price

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 13
That's interesting about the Fulla and more expensive dac's! Needless to say, it's a great little guy for sure and well worth the price

That was only when using the Fulla 2 as a DAC for speakers, though. (And it sounded better in DAC only mode with the SYS as preamp.) For driving headphones, the Mojo sounds a lot better than the Fulla 2, especially when it comes to high-end headphones.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 13
That was only when using the Fulla 2 as a DAC for speakers, though. (And it sounded better in DAC only mode with the SYS as preamp.) For driving headphones, the Mojo sounds a lot better than the Fulla 2, especially when it comes to high-end headphones.
The mojo is also considerably more expensive :)

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 13
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a budget, around the price of the FiiO E10k (or cheaper) desktop DAC/Amp combo unit for headphones but with a 6.3mm output jack. It's not about sound quality really rather I hate using a 6.3 to 3.5mm adapter and the 3.5mm plug is too weak and fragile for me, I've already damaged the motherboard's 3.5mm jack so if possible, the dac/amp includes Optical S/PDIF input that would be perfect! Also USB powered (no batteries please) I own an HD598Cs it's 23 Ohms doesn't really need an amp except for the quietest tracks, a low-gain or low power amp would be more than ok. Thanks!

TL;DR: 60-70€ max DAC/Amp combo with 6.3mm output and S/PDIF input.

First post tax:
qBWrz
KfZK5WL.jpg)

First, the tax you should be really worried about, assuming you can even find something that satisfies your requirements, is the one that Customs will levy on it as it flies in from a factory in China or a warehouse in the US.

Second, USB-powered and optical input aren't typically found together. USB power usually means the signal goes through the same cable for practical reasons (except for the Fulla 2's separate signal and power lines), and optical input typically means an AC input power supply.

If you can make do with USB there's the Pangea HP101 - $50 from Amazon US right now. Drives my HD600 with low noise and no audible distortion at ear splitting levels. USB works with my Android with an OTG adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back