Brief Odac impressions
Feb 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #1,516 of 2,018
Would others say that the ODAC+O2 has great "presence" in the mids? The nearest and best comparison I have is an old but good TV, and it offers much greater presence of mids, to make singing and instruments really come to the fore, without it sounding false but rather more natural. Sounds have a better structure of their own, I would say. The ODAC is fine and very clean, but it still sounds so "same" all around.... A bit underwhelmed, I have to admit.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,517 of 2,018
phelix....

remember garbage in garbage out....the amp and the odac if indeed transparent are allowing you to hear waht your source material really sounds like and this is in turn tied to the ability of your cans.....

most of us have very good recorded material we use for demo and comparison.....

lots of the modern day music is really not that great....

"listener beware..'

Alex

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,518 of 2,018
Sorry, but this "advice" just assumes a lot and doesn't try seriously at all. And not just about the quality but moreover for some reason about the material which has not the slightest thing to do with this, since what I wrote implied the same material. It affects the whole range of material, it is just a different sound signature.

Most importantly it doesn't answer my simple question but I've noticed this is hard to come by here anyway.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,519 of 2,018
Sorry, but this "advice" just assumes a lot and doesn't try seriously at all. And not just about the quality but moreover for some reason about the material which has not the slightest thing to do with this, since what I wrote implied the same material. It affects the whole range of material, it is just a different sound signature.

Most importantly it doesn't answer my simple question but I've noticed this is hard to come by here anyway.

It's got excellent mids. they are very present and, as usual for me, force the singers, in modern masterings, against my face.

Perhaps you are deaf and require phones that have an n shaped frequency curve.

In anycase, unless your O2/ODAC is faulty, the O2 is neither weak nor strong on the mids, just flat. It's up to you to compensate for your needs with DSP or phones.

It does seem to me that you have fundamentally misunderstood what the ODAC/O2 are all about.

It's completely barmy to be talking in the terms you do about kit whose raison d'etre is to not have a sound signature.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,520 of 2,018
It's not a sound signature, can we stop this. The Odac/O2 is audibly transparent. Any "signatures" or "presences" you are hearing is your headphones or source material. I am really tired of hearing about "how" the Odac/O2 sounds....it doesn't.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,521 of 2,018
Quote:
It's not a sound signature, can we stop this. The Odac/O2 is audibly transparent. Any "signatures" or "presences" you are hearing is your headphones or source material. I am really tired of hearing about "how" the Odac/O2 sounds....it doesn't.

+1. And that's the way it should be, well the dac at least imo.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #1,522 of 2,018
Thanks for the answers and apologies for any earlier conflict or misunderstandings. And second, I finally seem to have got it working correctly. I used it only as an amp for the TV for a while and the sound signature was completely different from the laptop, way more open as opposed to a warm impression, and really crisp. When I reconnected the DAC to the laptop, the different sound remained. It seems the amplifier wasn't working correctly beforehand and using it seemed to have got it working. I don't know how that's possible. Maybe it's just the power connector which is now in a nearer position to the source, but I checked that before. But this time I'm 95% certain it's a different result and working correctly (unless the one fault is indicative of less obvious ones).

Quote:

Seriously? Anything can be described in a particular way relative to something else. It's the same as what everyone is doing all the time. Something is more present or less, constituted in a different way. Maybe it's objective, maybe not. Maybe natural, maybe not. But it's something in each case and not nothing.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,523 of 2,018
Lorriman....guys thanks for the replies, I just get tired of trying to enlighted people that just dont have a clue....

"seemed to have got it working"

WOW Really?????

OMG

Alex

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,524 of 2,018
No the ODAC is not trully transparent only the Ice King DAC is
redface.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPCl_ez0Hio

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #1,527 of 2,018
Hi guys, long time not to post in this thread. I ordered an ODAC board ten days ago and waiting for it to ship to my country. I remember in this thread someone posted a picture with his Samsung Galaxy S3-> ODAC-> amplifier->... so ODACs can work with Android phones. My questions are how many phones you guy have tried with ODACs? How about Nokia Lumia series. We need a mini USB cables to connect to smartphones, right?

Thanks for reading my post.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #1,528 of 2,018
Quote:
Hi guys, long time not to post in this thread. I ordered an ODAC board ten days ago and waiting for it to ship to my country. I remember in this thread someone posted a picture with his Samsung Galaxy S3-> ODAC-> amplifier->... so ODACs can work with Android phones. My questions are how many phones you guy have tried with ODACs? How about Nokia Lumia series. We need a mini USB cables to connect to smartphones, right?

Thanks for reading my post.

You need to look over in the "Portable Source Gear" section here on Head-Fi.  Last time I checked, there are very, very few phones that can do this.  Using a phone as a source to a DAC may still be somewhat on the cutting edge.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,530 of 2,018

Users who are viewing this thread

Back