Brief Odac impressions
Feb 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #1,486 of 2,018
i may have had this issue too. but to clarify it doesnt go mute mid stream..   I am quite confident this is indeed a windows issue and not the dac.  windows often gets confused especially with devices that use exclusive mode and especially if you have several devices plugged into your computer that utilize audio such as cameras, mics, etc...  or when you have several different frequently used programs that utilize audio, ex. your browser, a softphone, your music player software... 

i have had this issue with other listening setups that didnt include the odac.

and yes unplugging the dac and plugging it back in always solves the issue for me too.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,487 of 2,018
Quote:

Is it a standalone ODAC or an ODAC+O2 combo? What does "crash" mean in this case?

Stop playing music. foobar2k throws an error at me and I have to push play to get the music to come back on.
Quote:
You're having power problems.  Pick up an automatic voltage regulator of some sort and plug the device powering your odac into it.  That should fix your dropouts.

I will look into them, thanks.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,488 of 2,018
Quote:

Stop playing music. foobar2k throws an error at me and I have to push play to get the music to come back on.
I will look into them, thanks.

oh.  My specific issue was that music would keep playing but no sound would come out, so I'd have to replug the odac.  Nevertheless, if it only happens when you're plugging/unplugging other unrelated devices I'd still say it has to be power issues

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,490 of 2,018
Quote:
oh.  My specific issue was that music would keep playing but no sound would come out, so I'd have to replug the odac.  Nevertheless, if it only happens when you're plugging/unplugging other unrelated devices I'd still say it has to be power issues

This is what happens to me also. It might also just get jammed; if I look at the frequency spectrum it starts to stutter and no sound comes out:p

I've noticed it might start again by itself after 10-15 seconds. It could be a tell of a power drop and that's the time it takes to get online again.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,491 of 2,018
This is what happens to me also. It might also just get jammed; if I look at the frequency spectrum it starts to stutter and no sound comes out:p

I've noticed it might start again by itself after 10-15 seconds. It could be a tell of a power drop and that's the time it takes to get online again.
I think the only time I've had what you're describing happen was when my music hdd got unplugged. Haven't had any of these problems in a while though, so it's all on my wonderful memory...

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,492 of 2,018
Feb 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,493 of 2,018
Feb 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #1,494 of 2,018
Been listening to the odac through a p-51 mustang for a few days now. I think it is an excellent pairing, it goes well with the RSA house sound. Never harsh, loads of beautiful bass, and mids to lust over. Here is a picture to show how well they stack :) 

Cheers,

~M

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,496 of 2,018
Quote:
Curious about this.  How did this change the sound for you?

Not much really. My USB ports have really clean power, so I don't get them for noise. I am mainly using them when doing RMAA measurement to avoid ground loop.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,497 of 2,018
I now have an ODAC+O2 from Epiphany Acoustics and while it sounds kind of attractive, I don't find it that impressive and I even have my doubts about its objectivity. It's not particularly clear or crisp, it stays kind of in the background and in effect it's like there's layer on top which is slightly muffling. Soundstage is wide, depth is there, but it never really "shines", for one (e.g. strings), due to the muffling layer which sometimes seems to be an actual, distinguishable part of the sound rather than some abstract overall effect. Maybe these things will get into perspective eventually, people are also talking about a burn-in phase of such devices, but it's not what I expected a"natural" sound to be. I'm beginning to be skeptical about the "objective" criterion per se, maybe one has to give industry engineers more credit for making use of soundstage differently to create certain effects... Maybe it's a different story for any headphone (SennheiserHD 595) + source combo. I don't know, it's just a thought.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #1,498 of 2,018
Quote:
I now have an ODAC+O2 from Epiphany Acoustics and while it sounds kind of attractive, I don't find it that impressive and I even have my doubts about its objectivity. It's not particularly clear or crisp, it stays kind of in the background and in effect it's like there's layer on top which is slightly muffling. Soundstage is wide, depth is there, but it never really "shines", for one (e.g. strings), due to the muffling layer which sometimes seems to be an actual, distinguishable part of the sound rather than some abstract overall effect. Maybe these things will get into perspective eventually, people are also talking about a burn-in phase of such devices, but it's not what I expected a"natural" sound to be. I'm beginning to be skeptical about the "objective" criterion per se, maybe one has to give industry engineers more credit for making use of soundstage differently to create certain effects... Maybe it's a different story for any headphone (SennheiserHD 595) + source combo. I don't know, it's just a thought.

We all say we want a neutral sound. When we get one, we realize neutral is actually pretty boring and realize we want a musical sound. 

For a great insight into the Objective2/ODAC phenomena, check out the comments on Headfonia's review: http://www.headfonia.com/nwavguys-objective-2-by-jdslabs-and-epiphany-acoustics/

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #1,499 of 2,018
Quote:

We all say we want a neutral sound. When we get one, we realize neutral is actually pretty boring and realize we want a musical sound. 

I was actually quite the opposite. I transitioned from a musical sound to a more neutral sound over the course of about two years. It kinda takes time and a lot of exposure to music and figuring out how things are supposed to sound before you figure out that what you are really after. For me, it was a natural sound.. and I think it's the same for most people, unless they are chasing/seeking enhancement somewhere, be it via super micro-detailed highs or the exceptionally impressive lows or even in stand-out mids. A lot of audiophile headphones and gear sacrifice the overall sound and picture to bring something forward.. Just to make the product sound differently than the rest. It's all a very delicate balance.. It's very tricky to achieve happiness when it comes to audio and sometimes trying a new piece of gear is kind of like trying a new diet or medication, sometimes you have to give your ears a bit of time to adjust to a different sound.

Anyways, what I figured out was that I was after was something that presented music as transparently/naturally/neutrally as possible (all three words have become synonyms in my vocabulary because they seem to come along with each-other in this hobby). Needless to say, the ODAC and O2 satisfy me entirely when it comes to that criteria.. I will say that listening to something more "neutral" will sound very lack luster coming from something "enhanced", sometimes you just have to give the more accurate gear/headphone a bit more time. When you swap back to the more "enhanced" gear the differences should smack you in the face. Then you just have to decide whether the enhanced sound is a pro or con. That's just how it worked out for me.

All this is strictly in my experience and opinion of course :) I highly recommend when trying gear that is referred to as neutral that you give your ears some time to adjust to said gear/headphones and then flip back to your more musical/enhanced gear. You might just be surprised.. if you still favor the more colored stuff, that's just fine too!

Hope this all makes sense.. I'm a little delirious from lack of sleep. Hopefully I can edit and clean-up the post later.. Happy listening everyone.

P.S.. all of this stuff about giving "neutral" gear a trial period is kind of null and void if you are an actual musician, I think. You certainly have a better reference than I do.. compare your headphones and gear to your real life experience! Everyone else.. get out and see as much live music as you can :) It helps figure out what sounds right and wrong.. and It's just good fun. I think I rambled.. Once again, I'm sleep deprived.

TL;DR -  Music is wonderful and picking differences between music gear is sometimes horrible enough to make you forget what's wonderful about the music in the first place and why you even bother to have nice gear. Never forget to enjoy your music more than your gear guys.

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,500 of 2,018

If you have a clip+ or fuze (not fuze+) then try the same tunes on that with some sensitive headphones and then through the ODAC/O2. IF it's not the same then one or other is possibly faulty. (The cllip+ does have a touch of noise but should sound identical to the ODAC). The designer measures the clip+ and it is effectively hifi so should provide a good test.

What phones are you using? Maybe they are usually treble shy but not on your previous equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back