Brief Odac impressions
Aug 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #841 of 2,018
Mine is recognized te7022 audio w/ spdif... sounds magnificent though.

Quote:
Just received my ODAC in the 49mm case from JDS labs.  Must be from the second batch or something because Windows 7 is recognizing it as a "USB Audio Device" as opposed to a "ODAC".  Not a bid deal... Has anyone else noticed that?

Im using the odac out of the cheapest pos hp laptop and it sounds good to my ears. Just to be sure i ran an RMAA test into my el cheapo mic input and whenever the mic input didn't limit the measurement it was considerably better than my old dac. I'm not sure if the laptop is providing enough power. What does it sound like when it's underpowered? My RMAA test from odac to mic input came out 20hz-20khz at +-.2db, does that mean its getting enough power? Or would I need to check the response under load?

I also noticed the odac te7022 is much more stable with the laptop than my audio-gd fun. The fun would cut out frequently... but this is more of a fault of the laptop since my old desktop never did this.

Subjectively, there is more treble presence than the audio-gd fun. This coincides nicely with the RMAA measurement since the fun has a treble roll off. The other immediately noticeable difference is in the presentation. Imaging and the soundstage is very defined and cleaner than the audio-gd fun. Also, as mentioned time and time again the experience is very recording dependent. Some stuff sound thin and lacks body. This looks to be my final dac purchase. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #843 of 2,018
Quote:

Im using the odac out of the cheapest pos hp laptop and it sounds good to my ears. Just to be sure i ran an RMAA test into my el cheapo mic input and whenever the mic input didn't limit the measurement it was considerably better than my old dac. I'm not sure if the laptop is providing enough power. What does it sound like when it's underpowered? My RMAA test from odac to mic input came out 20hz-20khz at +-.2db, does that mean its getting enough power? Or would I need to check the response under load?

I also noticed the odac te7022 is much more stable with the laptop than my audio-gd fun. The fun would cut out frequently... but this is more of a fault of the laptop since my old desktop never did this.

Subjectively, there is more treble presence than the audio-gd fun. This coincides nicely with the RMAA measurement since the fun has a treble roll off. The other immediately noticeable difference is in the presentation. Imaging and the soundstage is very defined and cleaner than the audio-gd fun. Also, as mentioned time and time again the experience is very recording dependent. Some stuff sound thin and lacks body. This looks to be my final dac purchase. 

There is no denying that this is a very good dac IMO. I don't think that anything beats it for the money. Thinking of other dacs that I've owned in the price range, the ms ii comes to mind but I'd take the odac all day over it....easily. The bifrost beats it, but you're talking $150 compared to $450 w/usb. I'd take the odac and $300 any day. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #844 of 2,018
Quote:
Where are u looking in win7?

Device manager or playback devices?

Alex

I'm using a Gateway AMD N66 Laptop with three USB ports.  Plugging the ODAC into each one yields different results under playback devices:

One USB port doesn't detect the ODAC at all
Second on detects it as "USB Audio Device"
Last one detects it as "2- ODAC"

Very odd....

Under device manager its detected as "UAC1 DAC"

While plugging it into my Macbook Air its detected as "ODAC"

Seems to me the ODAC is quite picky when it comes to USB ports...

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #846 of 2,018
Quote:

I've got an HP laptop, but it's about 4 years old. I'm surprised how well it's held up.

I've found out that when my HRT MSII was underpowered on my HP laptop it would make random pops and clicks. At random it would throw a fit and give out non-stop screeching/static like sounds until I yanked it out of the USB port.
The mids on my Q701 were also much thinner in general and it felt as if the entire sound was much more fatiguing. With every headphone it sounded different.

I also got an issue where i'd scroll down in an amp while playing music and the sound would cut out for maybe half a second.

To make matters worse, some of the ports worked better than others. The top right port was unusable without the screeching sound and the left was a little better.

Best advice is to try to use a powered usb hub and see if it sounds any better. I haven't tried the ODAC with my laptop yet and don't plan on it! It seems most laptops have awful USB ports. Some of them can't even power a hard drive well enough.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #847 of 2,018
Quote:
I'm using a Gateway AMD N66 Laptop with three USB ports.  Plugging the ODAC into each one yields different results under playback devices:

One USB port doesn't detect the ODAC at all
Second on detects it as "USB Audio Device"
Last one detects it as "2- ODAC"

Very odd....

Under device manager its detected as "UAC1 DAC"

While plugging it into my Macbook Air its detected as "ODAC"

Seems to me the ODAC is quite picky when it comes to USB ports...

Sometimes my usb hub has a problem detecting the ODAC.
One time I was using the E10 and then immediately removed it and my ODAC was never detected after connecting it. I selected the E10 and played music and it was still coming through the ODAC!
It took me nearly 4 connections to get it to redetect. Think maybe I had to yank the usb hub cable from the back of the PC. Reminds of how the old Windows XP was with usb devices..yet it's Windows 7.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #848 of 2,018
Quote:
Just received my ODAC in the 49mm case from JDS labs.  Must be from the second batch or something because Windows 7 is recognizing it as a "USB Audio Device" as opposed to a "ODAC".  Not a bid deal... Has anyone else noticed that?

Odd. Every one here shows up as "ODAC" (both batches).

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #849 of 2,018
Quote:

Sometimes my usb hub has a problem detecting the ODAC.
One time I was using the E10 and then immediately removed it and my ODAC was never detected after connecting it. I selected the E10 and played music and it was still coming through the ODAC!
It took me nearly 4 connections to get it to redetect. Think maybe I had to yank the usb hub cable from the back of the PC. Reminds of how the old Windows XP was with usb devices..yet it's Windows 7.

You're not using Windows 8? 
eek.gif
 Come on man, you gotta get in the game!! jk...lol

On a serious note, I suppose that because we all having difference computers with a unique set of hardware, software ect, it is often difficult to pin point a culprit. My two odac's are from Audio Poutine and have performed flawless in every environment that I've tried out. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #850 of 2,018
Placed order for O2+ODAC combo.  With so much hype on both I'm kind of excited but I fear I will be underwhelmed.
Why? Well I'm kind of on the "warm, musical, and colored" camp.  That's just my preference.  Can't help it. 
But I'm hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #851 of 2,018
Quote:
Placed order for O2+ODAC combo.  With so much hype on both I'm kind of excited but I fear I will be underwhelmed.
Why? Well I'm kind of on the "warm, musical, and colored" camp.  That's just my preference.  Can't help it. 
But I'm hoping I'm pleasantly surprised.

use a "colored" headphone 
redface.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #853 of 2,018
lausers,

I would use the port where it enumerates as the ODAC and not the others. its not the ODAC its your USB implementation in that system.

A bios update "may; fix this  but I doubt it.

The HRT streamers the MSii and the MSii+  draw 200ma and 400 ma respectively according the specs on HRT technologies site. I had both of them and settled into the
MSii+. I have never measured the current draw or voltage drop, but I have a USB cable modded up and will start mucking around with some measurements on some systems and see what we see...should be interesting.

Alex

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #855 of 2,018
Quote:
Quote:

A lot of laptops (or even regular mother boards) don't have USB ports according to specs.

Ain't that the truth.  

I've had external USB hard drive that supposedly only needed power from USB crap out with several laptops due to insufficient power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back