Brief Odac impressions
Aug 29, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #856 of 2,018
Guys there are usb cables with dual power input that should fix any problems that might arise from this forever. They are $7 on amazon.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #857 of 2,018
Anyone wanting to get better performance out of the ODAC should consider building a 5v shunt regulated external power supply like the SSLV1.1 at diyaudio. Pretty simple build and starter kits are available (seems complicated but it really isn't). I've just finished one and it surpasses the regular linear PS I've been using which in turn was much better than the usb power. For those who have even basic skill with a soldering iron, there's a *lot* more performance to be squeezed out of this dac.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #858 of 2,018
Quote:

I've had external USB hard drive that supposedly only needed power from USB crap out with several laptops due to insufficient power.

Been there, done that.  I feel your pain.  I wonder if it's only going to get worse w/ the Ultrabooks.  Lenovo recently started color coding the 'proper' USB port on Thinkpads yellow.  Not to mention you could get two of the same make/model laptops or desktops w/ different OEM parts based on whichever bins were exhausted first at the plant.  Oh look, this one has transcend, this one has hynix, here's a micron, there's a samsung, WEEE! on the OEM merry go round.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #859 of 2,018
I have a Lenovo T400s which is several years old now with the proper yellow coded USB 2.0 port....

Its there for charging stuff if you want to.

It has to be to enabled in the BIOS, it was not on by default.

You also have to have the charger plugged in to the the pc for this to work....except for sleep mode I believe.

I use it on trips for charging the cell phone at times...other than that I dont use it..

Also knowing the limitations of the current available for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 I only have bought USB external drives
with their own AC power adapters...

Alex

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #860 of 2,018
I just got the O2+ODAC.  I could not resist the price and hype.

First, I was expecting something bigger.  It's so small.  Yet, it has a big sound. It really sounds like a desktop amp.
Second, I was expecting bright and lean.  But it's smooth, clean and not lean at all.  Nice bass. Not something you get for something that resembles a portable amp. Really pleasantly surprised.

I tried my JH13pro.  Wow.  Nice and smooth.  Not edgy or hot like I expected.  The bass finally came alive, something that only happens with a good desktop amp on these.
I tried the Grado Magnums.  It of course did not warm it up but it did it accentuate it.  It sounded smooth.  
I tried last my LCD-2 r.1.  It no longer sounded warm and creamy.  It sounded very neutral for the first time.  At least to me.

But overall. I am very pleasantly happy.  I could not ask for more for such a low price and size.  Very powerful transportable, amp/dac combo that more than satisfies.

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #861 of 2,018
I thought the same exact thing when I first got my first one from JDSLabs...hey this is tiny...and then many say its not portable at all...compared to what I am used to this thing is small to me for sure.

Sitting here listening to the one I built, I just got the second ODAC and installed in a case with the O2 amp...very nice package...

Now you are hearing what your  LCD2's really sound like...totally transparent...

All the best
Alex

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #862 of 2,018
I had a similar experience with the odac. I was somewhat nervous about lean and bright. That's essentially the opposite of what I like to hear. What I experienced is better described as full and accurate. The bass was not diminished in the least but actually sounds better to. Trying to decide if I should go ahead and get the 02 as well or wait for the oda.

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #863 of 2,018
Do get the O2 now because it's got battery powered where as the ODA will not be battery powered.  It's so cheap and so good, why just limit yourself. 
Really...the O2 reminds me of the Corda Symphony when I had it. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #864 of 2,018

The odac+o2 is a very special combination. I use it with my Sony vaio, what I ear is enjoable sound and no lean, no bright, no tiny.

With my samsung s3 ithe sound s no as good as my Vaio.
I tried to use a y cable to powering s3 usb but .... nothing ... only with Vaio I am totally enjoied for result.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #865 of 2,018
Quote:
Do get the O2 now because it's got battery powered where as the ODA will not be battery powered.  It's so cheap and so good, why just limit yourself. 
Really...the O2 reminds me of the Corda Symphony when I had it. 

I don't need a portable though. I have the e17 which serves me well in the capacity. Just curious to try one out and hear what the fuss is about. I haven't been let down by the odac, so I suppose that I need to take the plunge. Anyone want to loan me an o2? 
biggrin.gif
 I am very trustworthy and dependable!!

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #866 of 2,018
Just got mine, it's really small!  why on earth they chose to put the inputs on the front I don't know.  I could manage with the O2, but with the ODAC on top of it, the cable mess becomes ridiculous. 

Is this supposed to completely bypass the amp of the computer?  My Music Streamer completely turned off my imac's amp, but with the ODAC, I can still control volume with the imac.

I'll try to compare it with the Music Streamer, but my HE-400 is on loan and I don't trust AD700's resolving power.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #867 of 2,018
Yeah...it's why I got the O2+ODAC combo.  I would have got separates if the O2 and ODAC came with matching cases but they are different sizes and case designs.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #868 of 2,018
Quote:
Just got mine, it's really small!  why on earth they chose to put the inputs on the front I don't know.  I could manage with the O2, but with the ODAC on top of it, the cable mess becomes ridiculous. 

Is this supposed to completely bypass the amp of the computer?  My Music Streamer completely turned off my imac's amp, but with the ODAC, I can still control volume with the imac.

I'll try to compare it with the Music Streamer, but my HE-400 is on loan and I don't trust AD700's resolving power.

How 'bout a pic Raven...?

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #869 of 2,018

Ok, I'll be honest here.  The big fat cable coming out of the audio-in for the O2 is the rca to 3.5 for the Music Streamer, and by getting rid of that and the music streamer, I could lower the clutter some, but I think it's safe to say the ODAC definitely isn't stackable material with the O2.  The ODAC will most likely be getting the Music Streamer treatment and be sitting behind the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back