Brief Odac impressions
Aug 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #826 of 2,018
Quote:
So is it better to plug the odac into a usb3.0 port...guessing that it might support a better power spec??

USB3 is supposed to support up to 900 mA, while USB2 (and 1) was 500 mA.  This is just the spec and not how much a given device can or will draw.

Now I'm kind of wondering the power draw of most USB-powered devices.  If a port can support a 2.5" external hard drive—consider the power drawn by the motor spinning up, the heads—surely it can support a DAC that doesn't even include an integrated headphone amp.  These should be some reasonably low-power electronics that the ODAC has.  I mean, CEntrance DACport has a DAC, a DC-DC boost converter or two (and something for the negative rail too), and a class A headphone amp.  That's a USB-powered device too.  Something seems off to me.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #827 of 2,018
It may or may not...but if I have the choice I would use the USB 3.0 port.

You should check the current needed by the dac etc and make sure your not going over what it can supply.

If your power supply can provide the current needed at the voltage its designed for your good to go.

Alex

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #828 of 2,018
Quote:
It may or may not...but if I have the choice I would use the USB 3.0 port.

You should check the current needed by the dac etc and make sure your not going over what it can supply.

If your power supply can provide the current needed at the voltage its designed for your good to go.

Alex

NwAvGuy claims ODAC needs just 125mA of the allotted 500mA current available to an enumerated USB 2.0 device. Unless his estimate is way off, power problems are due to out of spec USB ports. Hopefully a USB 3.0 port would provide a steadier stream of current, even though USB 2.0 ports really should be adequate. I'm disappointed to know this is even a concern. Will point NwAvGuy and Yoyodyne this direction.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #829 of 2,018
I am having no such problems/power issues on any ports either usb2 or 3. Sounds great with no issues no matter what it's plugged into on my pc. I do have a high end custom pc with a serious psu though...

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #830 of 2,018
Hi John...

Thanks for the reply, that is a really light load compared to many other USB dacs, I have an HRT MSii+ that the specs state it requires 400ma. Its a wonderful dac as well.

I have never had an issue with USB power on the many pcs I have built. But I will measure this for sure just to see where we are with the ODAC and my systems.

The one I can post results is an ASUS OEM motherboard.

Let me say that John and JDSLabs has been a great place to obtain an ODAC etc...first class support and always answers my email questions!..

All the best
Alex

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #831 of 2,018
Quote:
I am having no such problems/power issues on any ports either usb2 or 3. Sounds great with no issues no matter what it's plugged into on my pc. I do have a high end custom pc with a serious psu though...

Me neither. I have an Asus x21e and even though the battery life is reduced if I use the ODAC without the power plugged in it sounds exactly (which is to say great!) like it does with the mains plugged in. I've tried it out of both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. Perhaps everyone should purchase an Asus hehe.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #832 of 2,018
I have an Asus mobo also. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 Asus FTW!!

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #833 of 2,018
The Asus board I build my HTPC is:

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_FM1/F1A75I_DELUXE/

[size=x-small]AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3) chipset :[/size]
 ​
4 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)​
AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3) chipset :​
 ​
6 x USB 2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, black+red, 2 at mid-board)​

This is a fabulous mini itx board the streams bit perfect hdmi all the codecs etc...​
Alex​

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #834 of 2,018
Had another weird thing happen with my ODAC. Out of nowhere I figured I'd try to connect it back up to my PC again without the hub.
I was using my HD-600 with the Micro Amp and one song was really muffled and not clear at all (worse than usual). Like too much mid-bass was messing with the sound.
Switched to HD-580 and not much different. Then I tried my E9. Same thing.

Connected ODAC back up to my powered usb and problem fixed!

When I connect my ODAC straight to my PC it's..too much treble on the Q701. Too much mid-bass on the HD-600/580. Strange coincidence or what?
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #836 of 2,018
Quote:
tdock...time for a new pc or just use the hub...

what is the pc your using? notebook, desktop, oem or u build it?

Alex

It's a fairly recent desktop computer I built. It's from maybe 2009-2010 and using an MSI P35-Neo2 motherboard with Q6600.
I used to upgrade my computer every year, but since I don't do any gaming there's no point. Still more than fast enough for me except for encoding movies from blu-ray.

BTW it's onboard ALC888 from Realtek is actually not that bad. Somehow it's listed as having a built in headphone amplifier.
Sorry, totally off topic, but here's a graph for my onboard sound (which i've only tested once). Just found it interesting:

http://goldenears.net/board/53875

Maybe onboard sound isn't always as bad as people want you to believe. Not that i'd still use it.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #837 of 2,018
Quote:
It's a fairly recent desktop computer I built. It's from maybe 2009-2010 and using an MSI P35-Neo2 motherboard with Q6600.
I used to upgrade my computer every year, but since I don't do any gaming there's no point. Still more than fast enough for me except for encoding movies from blu-ray.

BTW it's onboard ALC888 from Realtek is actually not that bad. Somehow it's listed as having a built in headphone amplifier.
Sorry, totally off topic, but here's a graph for my onboard sound (which i've only tested once). Just found it interesting:

http://goldenears.net/board/53875

Maybe onboard sound isn't always as bad as people want you to believe. Not that i'd still use it.

Hmm, I did some brief research and it appears there are a number of people having USB power and detection problems with this board (Well, they were when the people were still using them hehe). Have you updated the Bios? I have noticed in the past when my PSU wasn't powerful enough and I started running too many things off my PC weird things would happen with USB too.

I am loving this little thing. I am thinking about buying another (O)_o. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #838 of 2,018
Quote:
Hmm, I did some brief research and it appears there are a number of people having USB power and detection problems with this board (Well, they were when the people were still using them hehe). Have you updated the Bios? I have noticed in the past when my PSU wasn't powerful enough and I started running too many things off my PC weird things would happen with USB too.

I am loving this little thing. I am thinking about buying another (O)_o. 

I've ended up buying 2...
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #839 of 2,018
Yup this little thing is really the cats meow!!

I have been able to hear my LCD2's and my lowly Grado 325is like I have never heard them before compared to my Lyr with NOS tubed (#$%^&^%$#$%^) and SOHAii, ASGARD etc...

You turn it on and play....no real waiting for it to warm up, small , convienent and transparent...now its do I really like the way my cans now sound??

Thinking of some Grado PS500's now!!!

OMG..

Alex

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #840 of 2,018
Just received my ODAC in the 49mm case from JDS labs.  Must be from the second batch or something because Windows 7 is recognizing it as a "USB Audio Device" as opposed to a "ODAC".  Not a bid deal... Has anyone else noticed that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back