Brief Odac impressions
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #751 of 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopeteroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how about the other volyme controller ?

You can generally set the software volume controls in foobar etc. to the maximum (unless you find it convenient to lower the volume there). You have some freedom regarding the volume controls, just avoid these problems:
- clipping
- large loss of dynamic range
- quantization to 16 bits
Setting everything to 100% on the PC is probably OK if you are not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopeteroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and how do i check this ''any digital volume control applied has 24 bit resolution, and that no unwanted sample rate conversion (e.g. from 44100 to 48000 Hz) is applied.''?

Check the Windows audio settings and the foobar configuration. The default settings may already be good.
You can also use WASAPI output from foobar, this will bypass any Windows audio processing.

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #752 of 2,018
Quote:

You can generally set the software volume controls in foobar etc. to the maximum (unless you find it convenient to lower the volume there). You have some freedom regarding the volume controls, just avoid these problems:
- clipping
- large loss of dynamic range
- quantization to 16 bits
Setting everything to 100% on the PC is probably OK if you are not sure.

Check the Windows audio settings and the foobar configuration. The default settings may already be good.
You can also use WASAPI output from foobar, this will bypass any Windows audio processing.

Okay so I just stumbled upon your post about changing the sample rate to 24 bit. I had mine on 16 bit (CD quality, picture below). It says when its running on "Shared Mode." Is this the setting that you're talking about?

Could you explain why I need to change this? Will I hear a difference in my music. I'm also running foobar but I couldn't find the sample rate anywhere in the properties. 

Please explain further with pictures if possible.

EDIT:

So I did found that Foobar was already running on 44100 and since I have exclusive mode on so I think that it bypasses the windows setting of 16 bit audio. I'm guessing I don't really need to change it?

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #757 of 2,018
Received my ODAC today. Install was plug'n'play, real breeze. Running through WASAPI on Foobar -> M-Stage -> Mad Dog. Compared to my previous dac, uDac2, I have noticed greater instrument separation and detail (the illusion of greater instrument separation probably has to do with the better detail and whatnot). At first I thought it was more "silent" than uDac2, as in uDac2 having hiss or something like that, but then I realized that impression is also given by the better detail retrieval.

Got mine from Stefan at Head'n'Hifi, no problems at any point of ordering/transaction/shipping process.
Very happy.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #758 of 2,018
I just got the ODAC in and for the last half hour it's had piercing treble. Very, very bad and actually gave me a headache. I just figured it was garbage recordings.
I used it straight to my desktop, which is fairly new and decent enough. Motherboard USB ports and not the ones in the front of the case.

I saw a post that mentioned try to plug it into another port. I did this crazy thing and connected it to a powered USB hub (nothing else attached) and it seems to have improved. Fingers crossed.

Maybe it's even MORE picky about USB ports as my HRT MSII. That thing doesn't even work from my 2009 laptop. It has similar symptoms if I use my laptop.

BTW this thing is about 5x smaller than I expected. I wonder how many are thinking "No way such a small thing could ever sound that good". I don't even know how big the O2 is.

I won't post any more impressions until I've listened to it for a few days.

UPDATE: I've been listening to the ODAC to my amp using my favorite headphone and it looks like the problem is definitely fixed. I switched back to plugging it into my computer and got the treble issue.
I guess I could install a USB card to see if it powers it better, but that's a waste of money. It's baffling why this happens.

So far, no complaints at all. I'll give some more impressions some other time. It'd take me forever. I'm coming from using the HRT MSII, X-Fi Go Pro DAC (a steal for $35 and very neutral!) and testing the E10. I'm glad to report that all my headphones i've tested so far sound exactly as they should, but with a ton of improvements in most areas.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #760 of 2,018
I previously owned the odac. Sold and now bought it again. I can not read this entire thread. Do I need a ferrot chocked usb cable. I bought mine from Audio Purrin. 

thanks...Matt

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #761 of 2,018
I haven't paid any attention to USB cables. I did find SQ differences with dedicated higher power USB ports which offered more current (the ones which charge my iPhone quickly) vs. the wimpy USB ports (the ones were I occasionally get a message saying there isn't enough current to charge the phone).

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #763 of 2,018
I've got pics of the new ODAC case (with my UHA-6S MKII) over on the Leckerton thread, for anyone who interested in taking a peek.  JDS turned out a beautiful case.. it's smaller in every dimension than the c421 case the ODAC used to come in.. I'm amazed at how sleek it looks.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #764 of 2,018
Quote:
I've got pics of the new ODAC case (with my UHA-6S MKII) over on the Leckerton thread, for anyone who interested in taking a peek.  

That's what I was hoping to run as well as my setup.  Need some time to play around w/ external power options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back