Brief Odac impressions
Aug 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #766 of 2,018
I'm really interested in getting one of these suckers.

I am curious however: Does it downsample 88.2, 176, and 192khz files to the supported sample rates? Or will you get that god awful hiss?

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #767 of 2,018
That's what I was hoping to run as well as my setup.  Need some time to play around w/ external power options.

So far, it's an impressive combo.  I've got a pretty nice (business class) HP laptop that's decked out (thanks to my employer) & haven't run into any USB power-related issues with the ODAC.  A powered USB hub is always a nice safeguard, though.. especially if you've got an outlet always nearby.

I haven't done any A/Bing between the UHA's DAC & the ODAC.. but my initial impressions are that the UHA's DAC is quite good.. very resolving and clean.. much like the ODAC, really.

I really love the UHA amp's performance when driving IEMs (which is what I primarily got it for).  The background is so damn quiet.. dynamics are impressively controlled.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #768 of 2,018
I want the new case 
frown.gif

The old case is too long to set on top of the O2. The new one would stack perfectly...

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #770 of 2,018
Quote:
any recommended hubs? I might get one for the sake of reassurance.

The one i'm using is the Belkin 7 port powered hub. Just had it around anyway. It's found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2-0-7-PORT-HUB/dp/B000TTTJ36/ref=pd_cp_e_1/187-5656949-3157751

It seems that powered USB hubs aren't as easily found for cheap as you'd imagine. Even on Monoprice. The normal price even online is around $20 for a high quality one.
There's some on Amazon with like 20 ports or something for only a few dollars, but they have terrible reviews. Like 1/5 average based on 500 reviews.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #771 of 2,018
[EDIT - I've found that due to a equipment issue, some bad stuff was sounding slightly worse than it should be]

So far I've been listening to this thing almost all day. I need to give my ears a break.
I miss my HRT MSII already somehow. ODAC sounds good, but my impression varies a lot between songs. It's just that revealing of the crap I have in my collection. About 25% of it sounds worse than it ever did previously.

Something still just seems weird about the treble. I can't really describe it, but I guess it seems to make the treble a little more edgy on all my headphones.
Nothing too badly. I won't say it's making them sound dramatically different, but I never heard any of them sound like this on dozen or so sources/amps.
Probably the music's fault, but hard to say. Don't ask me why, but this reminds me of the E7 when it comes to the mids and treble. I hate the mids of the E7.
I hope to wake up and find that my ears were just tired or something.

Pretty interesting how the sound can vary so much between songs on this thing. The songs can go from sounding warm with full mids to having recessed (sounding) vocals and thin mids. All due to the recording (not the headphone). There's so many of my WAV files that sound more like 128kbps files. At least now it's not that fatiguing anymore, but still a little. I would say I get a little annoyed more than fatigued.

I definitely wouldn't call it very musical, which some people prefer. Whatever the heck that means. Definitely not even remotely "warm". I imagine I'd love this thing with the HD-650. I am using it with the Q701 and I'm actually surprised it's not even MORE fatiguing.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #772 of 2,018
Quote:
So far I've been listening to this thing almost all day. I need to give my ears a break.
I miss my HRT MSII already somehow. ODAC sounds good, but my impression varies a lot between songs. It's just that revealing of the crap I have in my collection. About 25% of it sounds worse than it ever did previously.

Something still just seems weird about the treble. I can't really describe it, but I guess it seems to make the treble a little more edgy on all my headphones.
Nothing too badly. I won't say it's making them sound dramatically different, but I never heard any of them sound like this on dozen or so sources/amps.
Probably the music's fault, but hard to say. Don't ask me why, but this reminds me of the E7 when it comes to the mids and treble. I hate the mids of the E7.

Pretty interesting how the sound can vary so much between songs on this thing. The songs can go from sounding warm with full mids to having recessed (sounding) vocals and thin mids. All due to the recording (not the headphone). There's so many of my WAV files that sound more like 128kbps files. At least now it's not that fatiguing anymore, but still a little. I would say I get a little annoyed more than fatigued.

I definitely wouldn't call it very musical, which some people prefer. Whatever the heck that means. Definitely not even remotely "warm". I imagine I'd love this thing with the HD-650. I am using it with the Q701 and I'm actually surprised it's not even MORE fatiguing.

With the HD650, its pretty nice. Removes the 'edginess' as you say. With 'bright' headphones, its not really that good a match. More like it presents the headphone's true character to you.
However, it's also very neutral, and poor recordings *will* sound poor.
As you say, some songs sound much better, others less so.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #773 of 2,018
Quote:

So, what I gathered from this is that the ODAC is more definitely more revealing and less rolled off than the HRT MSII. However, due to the quality of your recordings and the already (artificially) analytical/revealing nature of your AKGs, you could not really enjoy the ODAC on many of your tracks. You'd rather the HRT MSIIs warmer and more forgiving nature (in comparison to the ODAC), because it synergizes with the Q701 better. Did I get that right?

Anyway, thanks for the impressions! I'm thinking of getting rid of the HRT MSII in favour of the ODAC. I look forward to more of what you have to say about the ODAC.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #775 of 2,018
Haha, those were my thoughts too. I feel that perhaps the warm/forgiving nature of the HRT MSII might not pair well with the relaxed upper mids of the HE400, which gives it a darker sound sig. However, I might just be talking out of my butt. I will get an ODAC soon enough, and I'll report back here to see if this musing was indeed true.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #777 of 2,018
[UPDATE - I've discovered an issue with my setup. The bad/garbage tracks are now not as bad as described below. Something was causing the mids to be very slightly thinner than they should be. Even the treble sounded a bit off. Bad tracks sounded more fatiguing than they should be. I will make an ODAC review in about a week. I tate back my comments on the ODAC being TOO revealing or completely un-musical. It still does need high quality recordings. The changes though overall are not huge.]

I just ran my DAC all night (for my own amusement) while asleep. Today I had to work all day so I gave my ears some rest.

Been listening for the last hour with the Q701. Felt like I had my fingers crossed that the treble wouldn't be such an issue. So far it's OK and no ear fatigue or nasty treble.

What's really amazing now is how the quality of songs vary so much with the ODAC in comparison to the HRT MSII. It does feel like my music is really put under a microscope. Maybe too much.

The Q701 doesn't ALWAYS sound thin, too analytical or completely lifeless with the ODAC. Now it depends more on the actual recording. A bit annoying, but that's OK. Maybe for some a DAC that's more forgiving is better
biggrin.gif

This tiny thing even makes me appreciate my amp a bit more. The amp doesn't seem to be adding any coloration such as forward mids, extra treble or bass etc.

I've noticed recently that on my other amp (E9) it's much harder to hear what's connected to it. Not sure exactly why.

I'm only tried this with a few headphones, so now i'll test it with the HD-598, K601, HD-580 and KRKs. Listening to the KRKs with this will be interesting.

Possibly the most un-musical DAC/source i've heard, but that's OK.
biggrin.gif
The mids seems a bit thinner on most headphones than they should be (on many sources)..probably impossible right?

BTW Eddie Vedder's "Hard Sun" from the Into the Wild Soundtrack is kind of ear piercing on the K601. First song/headphone that did that for me tonight. Probably just the recording.

also..just listened to it with the HD-580, seems like a perfect match for it. Maybe the HD-598 too. I guess I could always use the Q701 with a 2nd DAC if needed if I end of disliking that combination. Nothing wrong with liking a slightly colored DAC
normal_smile%20.gif

Primus with the HD-580 + ODAC to Micro Amp is pretty entertaining/amusing to listen to. Even the soundstage is impressive..yeah from the HD-580!

EDIT: I just hooked up the E10 again for use with the Q701. I prefer the E10 as a DAC to the Q701 I think (over the ODAC). It seems to have fuller mids and it's probably a little warmer. Too bad that's the only headphone I like it with. I hated it with my HD-598 and DJ100. Too bad the mids are so forward (to my ears) on the E10. Maybe the E17 is similar to the E10, but sounds much more neutral. Crappy cantopop annoys me on the E10 due to it's mids..on the ODAC..not at all.

Maybe I'll go get a soundcard and be done with this external DAC nonsense
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #778 of 2,018
Quote:

With the HD650, its pretty nice. Removes the 'edginess' as you say. With 'bright' headphones, its not really that good a match. More like it presents the headphone's true character to you.
However, it's also very neutral, and poor recordings *will* sound poor.
As you say, some songs sound much better, others less so.

Well, I have some T1s, running out of an SPL Phonitor being fed by the ODAC. I love the sound coming out of this combo. Everything is very clear and balanced and neutral. I can hear everything. The DACMagic is certainly warmer than this. But it doesn't bother me one bit, I don't like things too warm. I am going to take a trip soon to Melbourne and listen to some other offerings and do some comparing then. A note on this, I was a bit worried about listener fatigue but seem to be experiencing none.

When I say I can hear everything, sometimes this isn't so great. It picks up whatever mistakes in a given recording were made. Any distortion will be heard, if a recording has any sibilant vocals they will show up quite clearly so if this kind of thing bothers you beware! With my other DAC I can usually ignore this stuff, but with this it shows them up in all their horrible glory. I guess that shows the quality of some of the music I have in my collection :frowning2:.

My classical stuff though, and everything else that was well recorded this is a real treat to listen to and I am very happy and feel very fortunate to own this gear.

A note on the treble, to my ears it sounds excellent. I love the ODAC. There we go, decision made for me. I wish it had some more connectivity, perhaps a larger desktop version will make itself known in the future. 

I think if you are considering this, it might be prudent to find someone who owns one and see if you can get a listen first just like everything else I guess. I took the plunge and ordered because it was so cheap and do not regret it one bit.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #779 of 2,018
tdrockweiler... I gotta say, I just love your honesty. Something about the way you write really displays your open mindedness. There seems to be a lot of preconceived ideas surrounding the ODAC coming from both the subjectivists and the objectivists which are really leaving a negative air surrounding V's designs. This forum is a bit worse of than others. It's quite refreshing to read that you hear differences, yet openly admit that they may be placebo... or not. I believe it is a fallacy to ignore that we may be the weakpoint in the chain. The scary thing is when I read about people complaining about the treble... while using bright headphones, but not acknowledging the headphones may be the problem. What I've gathered is that most sources seem to be slightly warm? Which explains why some people don't like the benchmark dac1 either.

I have to admit I am completely confused about what to believe anymore. I started this hobby as a subjectivist but am an objectivist by nature. It never occurred to me to apply objectivity to audio until the whole voldemort fiasco happened. I was always under the assumption that cost had a direct relationship with transparency. But there are so many differing opinion on the subject that I do not know what to believe. If the ODAC is transparent then why do so many people with more expensive dacs claim the ODAC is good for the money? Quite a few have stated that it is close but not as good as their TOTL dac. Some have stated it is good but is completely destroyed by their $3000+ dac. Shouldn't they sound identical? Is the more expensive amp colored? Is the ODAC not transparent? The objectivists are not much better... there have been quite a few post from newer members and a few others making claims about how great the ODAC is, but not in a useful kind of way. Sometimes they come across as zealot like... kinda scary. So who do I believe? The subjectivist who doesn't question his perception or the people who have bought into the O2/ODAC without question? Anyways, that's why your posts are refreshing 
biggrin.gif

I personally believe that V is a good guy with good motives. Either way I ordered an ODAC and will compare it with the audio-gd fun. The Fun measures terribly (relative to other cheap amps/dacs) but many have commented on how nice it sounds. It does sound nice and musical and smooth but what was the trade off? The ODAC should contrast the Fun nicely. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #780 of 2,018
Quote:
So far it definitely seems more revealing. There's a few things that pop up in some songs I never heard before.

I seem to recollect a conversation we had about the perceived reality of such an event.  
tongue_smile.gif
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back