Brief Odac impressions
Aug 24, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #781 of 2,018
Does the ODAC downsample 88.2, 176.4, and 192 sample rates?? Or do you get that buzzy B.S. like you put the settings too high in windows?

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #782 of 2,018
The ODAC itself will not downsample anything, but Windows could, depending on what API you use for audio output. Since the ODAC only supports 44.1, 48, and 96 kHz, you do need software conversion somewhere to hear sound at the correct speed and pitch.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #784 of 2,018
Quote:
Been comparing and listening to the E10 vs the ODAC for the last few hours. Makes it so easy when you have two inputs on your amp.
I've been taking notes for myself since i'm such a nerd. Turns out it's kind of pointless.

Here's what i'm hearing so far (with Q701):

E10 has fuller sounding mids. The ODAC is thinner in the mids. The difference is quite easily noticeable, but not huge. It's like maybe comparing the Q701 unamped to one fairly well amped (just it's mids). Again, the difference is not huge, but noticeable. For some songs (rarely) I found myself preferring the E10 due to it being a little more musical and forgiving. You can't really say how it's supposed to sound unless you've recorded it. One example is Eddie Vedder's "Rise". It's him playing the ukulele. Sounds thin and dull on the ODAC. Maybe it sounds this way on even the HD-800 too? I know what a ukulele sounds like in real life, but this one sounds weird.

It'd be interesting for someone to make a recording and tell us which DAC sounds closest to what it's REALLY supposed to sound like (in their opinion). I'm aware of measurements and all that, but that doesn't tell me enough about what i'd hear.

I'm really just confused on which one is supposed to be the most accurate. Sometimes some songs sound so warm, it's like listening to them on the HD-600, but i've got the Q701 on my head.

On some music there is very little difference in the two. With classical or very good recordings it's much easier to spot the differences.

On bad Cantopop (some poorly recorded Kelly Chen songs) the treble on the ODAC was more bothersome than the mids with the E10. These are songs with the mids/treble cranked up at the studio or something.

The treble of the E10 with some songs is a little smoother. The ODAC definitely seems to have more treble. Maybe the E10's smooth treble helps some songs. Supposed to be slightly rolled off perhaps? Some call it dark, but I don't know about that. I do think it has slightly forward mids.

The E10 does seem to make the lower mids in some recordings a little more fatiguing. At this point, I don't think it's the recordings fault because it's fine on the ODAC.

To my ears the E10 isn't as warm and full sounding in the mids as the HRT MSII (based on memory).  I think it does have more forward (sounding) lower mids, which is annoying to me. The treble of the ODAC makes the HRT MSII definitely seem dark in comparison
confused_face_2.gif
The E10 actually sounds like it has more treble than the HRT MSII or almost the same.

This thin mids issue I think is more due to the extra treble of the ODAC and the actual recording. The Q701 is never thin sounding with most very good recordings. For example, Chan Chan on the "Buena Vista Social Club" sounds really good. Full mids and everything sounds smooth.

BTW you know that comparing DACs is the most annoying thing in the world?
Now I think the best way of doing it is to use one for a week and then switch to the other for the next.
Stick with which one sounds best to you with your ears regardless of measurements.

I'm really happy with how the ODAC doesn't shove it's mids in my face. Coming from the HRT MSII, the ODAC is a little different sounding. You notice the extra treble, but it's not too bad usually.

I think my issues with it's "weird" treble are gone. Now it's trying to figure out why it's mids seem to change with every song. I think my guess is right that it's mostly just all due to the recording equipment used. Maybe I need my own studio to really figure out this ODAC
confused_face.gif

Still agree it's like putting your music under a microscope.

Now I need to find out how the E17 compares to the ODAC.

I do think the HD-650 or HD-600 would be perfect for the ODAC (and maybe O2). Need to use the 598 tonight. I bet that combination would be impressive!

If you want to turn your Q701 into some sort of detail monster, the ODAC will definitely get the job done.

Just a little question , level matching done ? 
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #785 of 2,018
Oh, just got an odac today. Swapping back and forth between the odac and docked e17 (to e09k). The odac is head and shoulders better than the docked e17. Really really nice!!

There is a dock and aux in switch with the new e09k, so it makes it very simple to A/B between e17 dac and odac. The odac is in a different class and wonderful to listen to. Bass is tighter with more impact. No looseness at all and hit a couple notches harder. Mids and female vocals are perfect. 

Gonna listen to this for a few hours and then the fun begins. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 pc>odac>nfb6 (balanced). Haven't even powered on the nfb6 yet...just got it and had no dedicated dac until this afternoon.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #787 of 2,018
Quote:
Oh, just got an odac today. Swapping back and forth between the odac and docked e17 (to e09k). The odac is head and shoulders better than the docked e17. Really really nice!!

There is a dock and aux in switch with the new e09k, so it makes it very simple to A/B between e17 dac and odac. The odac is in a different class and wonderful to listen to. Bass is tighter with more impact. No looseness at all and hit a couple notches harder. Mids and female vocals are perfect. 

Gonna listen to this for a few hours and then the fun begins. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 pc>odac>nfb6 (balanced). Haven't even powered on the nfb6 yet...just got it and had no dedicated dac until this afternoon.

Sounds like play time to me.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #789 of 2,018
First off, I'm totally enjoying your posts tdockweiler. Reminds me of myself, or any honest person trying to compare gear.

You need to understand how important the recording process and the mastering process are to the end product. If the recording OR the mastering is bad and you have a revealing dac and a revealing headphone, well, it's not gonna sound great.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #791 of 2,018
Question for you guys... are you guys using the odac with foobar w/ wasapi? I remember reading that some people are having popping issues with this setup. I'm just curious it is universal or is just happening randomly? 

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #792 of 2,018
Zero popping, clicking or treble issues here. I use foobar with waspi. Now with the Music streamer ii I had tons of issues when using foobar with waspi. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #793 of 2,018
I am using the newest version of foobar with the wasapi component. No popping from my setup. 

fyi, I recently got a CTH and must say the ODAC is much more pleasant of a sound through the CTH than the O2. I think the tube buffer helps :)

-M

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #795 of 2,018
to avoid up or down sampling by the windows mixer, plus to avoid windows audio tampering... I highly doubt that the difference is audible but it is peace of mind and doesn't cost me anything 
wink.gif

Do you use something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back