Brief Odac impressions
Aug 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #721 of 2,018
Quote:
So, I hate to come in and ask the newbie questions, but DAC's are one thing I don't understand so I've shied away from them so far.  Now that the 0DAC is available I'd like to take the plunge with plans to purchase an 02 amp later down the line.  Currently I have a portable Z02 that I use for my heaphones at work which will eventually be my just my portable option.

My dilemma is that there seems to be a multitude of different companies/DIY'ers that off prebuilt 0DAC's, and I'm at a loss to discern the differences, or if they'd matter to me.

JDS Labs - http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=46
   My gut reaction is to go with them as they presented as a more reputable and well known business that deals in these sorts of things.
   My hesitation is it seems pretty barebones, and earlier in this thread (I haven't read all 50 pages yet) people were complaining about size.

Audio Poutine - http://www.facebook.com/AudioPoutine
   It's a little shady going through a facebook page, ordering on Google Docs and forwarding cash through PayPal, but he's obviously well known and respected, I don't really have a problem with it.
   The build looks a little less flashy though, it looks more like a DIY case.  I believe the advantage is the RCA in ports that the others don't offer? But I don't see a basic, line In.

EHP-02D - http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/
   Downside here is this company is in the UK and shipping charges are undoubtably going to be more as well as a longer wait.
   However this is the only 0DAC I've seen that has knobs for volume and gain. It also has a compact, nice black case.

I'm hoping someone with more experience and understanding could give me a quick run down of pro's and con's for each of these.  I plan on primarily just running out from my PC at work, or from audio devices to my Z02 for now.  In the future I may pick up another for at home, either my speakers that are running direct from my TV, possibly my home computer also.

Thanks in advance, really appreciated!

i believe jds labs is more for north america, while epiphany is more for UK
and jds now makes a smaller sized odac (dac only)- check their facebook page for pictures

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #722 of 2,018
ObjectiveDac = ODAC
wink.gif

All of the above are based on the ODAC board released by Voldemort, so they should all sound the same. The only difference is the different inputs and outputs that are possible.

The option you listed from Epiphany is an ODAC + O2 combo; JDSLabs offers it as well.

If you are based in North America, I personally would go with JDS Labs, since they have a nice new custom case, and more options for the output. They originally used the same case as their amplifier, which was too long for the ODAC, but they've started offering the new case now. You might need to request it though.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #723 of 2,018
I've ordered an odac through audio poutine. It does not look "less flashy" in the least. In fact I prefer it to the jds labs version in terms of the case, build and aesthetics.  The shipping was quick and I was very happy with the overall transaction. 

gL!!

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #724 of 2,018
I got my ODAC yesterday. I had previously mentioned that I would compare it to the HRT MS2 but I sold that one on Friday and could not do any A/B comparisons.

Anyway, I'm using it now and I think it's quite good. I don't notice any digititus or harshness. My music just sounds clear and clean and instruments are well separated in space. None of my relatively complex tracks have tripped up the ODAC. I'm very happy with it. I'm using it with the Burson Soloist, LCD3 (for a short while longer), HD650, Magnums and Mad Dogs.

Aural memory is pretty awful but I really can't say I notice any difference between the ODAC and my memory of the MS2. Songs that I know very well have all the same subtleties they had before.

I also decided to give a higher end DAC one more chance and ordered a JKDAC32 last week. It should arrive in a week. Maybe now that I'm not comparing them with the highly colored GS1000, I might notice a more obvious difference between the ODAC (or a different, entry level priced DAC) and something that's a bit higher level. If not, the JKDAC32 goes back.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #726 of 2,018
Quote:
ObjectiveDac = ODAC
wink.gif

All of the above are based on the ODAC board released by Voldemort, so they should all sound the same. The only difference is the different inputs and outputs that are possible.

The option you listed from Epiphany is an ODAC + O2 combo; JDSLabs offers it as well.

If you are based in North America, I personally would go with JDS Labs, since they have a nice new custom case, and more options for the output. They originally used the same case as their amplifier, which was too long for the ODAC, but they've started offering the new case now. You might need to request it though.

All Standalone ODACs are the shorter "49mm" size now. Only the RCA edition is longer. It's all stated on the item page. Guess more pictures wouldn't hurt :D 

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #727 of 2,018
Quote:

Alright, thanks for all of the replies everyone! I know they were all based off the same board and specs, my concern was more with the different inputs/outputs/accessories/cases I was seeing.  I realize now that I was looking at Epiphanies amp combo and not the dedicated DAC.  I also see now that the RCA inputs are optional extras from both JDSlabs and Audio Poutine.  That's something I'll look into later for a possible future home setup.  Happy to hear that JDSLabs has a smaller case now (more pictures would certainly help), I think I'll go ahead and order from them for work, and maybe I'll go with Audio Poutine for my home build later.

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #728 of 2,018
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting the ODAC. But the thing is that I have an Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard that I bought quite recently and I know it measures quite well. The only real concern I have is that there seems to be something wrong with the drivers in W7 64 bit because sometimes I get no sound and have to restart the driver. But perhaps the unified drivers could fix this problem I don't know.

I'm really debating if it's worth the money getting the ODAC instead, what do you guys think?

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #729 of 2,018
I would focus on getting the st working properly... from what I've seen the ST measures very well, better than the ODAC. In theory they should be indistinguishable. Plus it doesn't cost you anything getting the drivers working properly!

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #730 of 2,018
Quote:
I would focus on getting the st working properly... from what I've seen the ST measures very well, better than the ODAC. In theory they should be indistinguishable. Plus it doesn't cost you anything getting the drivers working properly!

I think you are correct, I might even say objective :wink:

I will take your advice and try to work out the issues with the drivers. Thanks man!

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #731 of 2,018
Quote:

Alright, thanks for all of the replies everyone! I know they were all based off the same board and specs, my concern was more with the different inputs/outputs/accessories/cases I was seeing.  I realize now that I was looking at Epiphanies amp combo and not the dedicated DAC.  I also see now that the RCA inputs are optional extras from both JDSlabs and Audio Poutine.  That's something I'll look into later for a possible future home setup.  Happy to hear that JDSLabs has a smaller case now (more pictures would certainly help), I think I'll go ahead and order from them for work, and maybe I'll go with Audio Poutine for my home build later.

Audio Poutine also has a small ODAC case.

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #732 of 2,018
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about getting the ODAC. But the thing is that I have an Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard that I bought quite recently and I know it measures quite well. The only real concern I have is that there seems to be something wrong with the drivers in W7 64 bit because sometimes I get no sound and have to restart the driver. But perhaps the unified drivers could fix this problem I don't know.

I'm really debating if it's worth the money getting the ODAC instead, what do you guys think?

I had the STX a while back.

(short story)

YES THE ODAC IS WORTH IT..

Long story, STX to Nuforce HDP to Grace M901, M902, M903 to Benchmark Dac1 Pre To ODAC. (Plus heard half of what's under the sun - meets.)

My headphone experience is much more lengthy / extensive, (as in everything up to and including Orpheus, on multiple occasions, and just about all Stax gear) but yes. It will be worth it for you to get to the ODAC. (It's a bit of a wonderful shortcut and saves you a lot of money though. ; ) I'm just warning you.
Bet you 5 bucks.

My concern with this is minimal, but I feel I should mention it. :

(NOTE: there has been talk of variation depending on what board is feeding it power (the ODAC). If it's possible please run it out of a desktop, preferably one with terabytes of music. = /

I know some people like lappy's, this is probably ok, but I bet a desktop will be feeding it ample and clean power - especially if your supply is clean. (Overall I wouldn't worry about it too much, but apparently there are some notables here who suggest running it out of a desktop. My opinion: I would imagine a more recent board may have the possibility of improving the power fed to the ODAC, but I don't know. :wink:

In my case, I don't worry about it too much. I run mine out of a Nehalem board and a Corsair TX950 power supply for stable power. If you're running it out of a reasonably recent powersupply / desktop, Dual core desktop or newer, I wouldn't worry about it though.

If you're still on a single core Pentium or Athlon, I may be slightly concerned though. Just because there have been (so) many board changes since then. Anything Core-2duo or newer should probably be fine enough though, as in no sound degredation loss. I would worry about older boards than that though, just because they're so.., old.

Desktop (there's a chance it may contribute, based on pure power [and Major board changes] and perhaps recent drivers) I think anything will be fine > ODAC > Anything. You're gold.

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #733 of 2,018
My USB powered DACs ( Audinst HUD-MX1 / HRT- MSII / HRT-MSII+ / ODAC)  function fine on my desktop. (Lenovo dual core Pentium w/USB2)

My HP laptop is a different story. All experience drop-outs and static. Needs more juice!

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #734 of 2,018
I know some people like lappy's, this is probably ok, but I bet a desktop will be feeding it ample and clean power - especially if your supply is clean. (Overall I wouldn't worry about it too much, but apparently there are some notables here who suggest running it out of a desktop. My opinion: I would imagine a more recent board may have the possibility of improving the power fed to the ODAC, but I don't know. :wink:

I got mine just the other day. I used it pretty much exclusively on the desktop for a few hours, Loved it. I was very surprised. I still am. I would buy one with more functionality in a heart beat and be happy.

I tried it out on my laptop, (Asus X21e) and the sound was identical. It sucked the juice out of it in quick time. If you're going to use it with a Laptop just be aware that it might reduce your battery life by a considerable amount.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #735 of 2,018
Quote:

I had the STX a while back.

(short story)

YES THE ODAC IS WORTH IT..

Long story, STX to Nuforce HDP to Grace M901, M902, M903 to Benchmark Dac1 Pre To ODAC. (Plus heard half of what's under the sun - meets.)

My headphone experience is much more lengthy / extensive, (as in everything up to and including Orpheus, on multiple occasions, and just about all Stax gear) but yes. It will be worth it for you to get to the ODAC. (It's a bit of a wonderful shortcut and saves you a lot of money though. ; ) I'm just warning you.
Bet you 5 bucks.

My concern with this is minimal, but I feel I should mention it. :

(NOTE: there has been talk of variation depending on what board is feeding it power (the ODAC). If it's possible please run it out of a desktop, preferably one with terabytes of music. = /

In my case, I don't worry about it too much. I run mine out of a Nehalem board and a Corsair TX950 power supply for stable power. If you're running it out of a reasonably recent powersupply / desktop, Dual core desktop or newer, I wouldn't worry about it though.

If you're still on a single core Pentium or Athlon, I may be slightly concerned though. Just because there have been (so) many board changes since then. Anything Core-2duo or newer should probably be fine enough though, as in no sound degredation loss. I would worry about older boards than that though, just because they're so.., old.

Desktop (there's a chance it may contribute, based on pure power [and Major board changes] and perhaps recent drivers) I think anything will be fine > ODAC > Anything. You're gold.

There's no doubt in my mind that the ODAC is really good. If I would buy it I would supply it with a Corsair AX650 (and a recent Z77 Gigabyte mobo) and I think that's a pretty good PSU.

But when comparing the ODAC and the Asus card I'm mostly interested in the measurements and from what I've seen they are quite similar in that department and should both be transparent. My real question is, do you think you could tell them apart in a blind test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back