Brief Odac impressions
Aug 6, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #691 of 2,018
Mike, I don't think there's too much we actually substantially disagree on.  There's really little point to expend the effort (original or repeated) to go line by line and continue further wrt someone who won't even take ownership of his words or actions by hiding behind a screen.  

Are you bringing up the 'challenge' again or something else?  We've had this discussion before if you are.  Not only do you know the parameters of it are ludicrous but it is so much so 'V' hasn't even held himself to the same standard.  I don't care what people presume the outcome would be, which in fact should be the easiest of all the open challenges based on the expectation bias involved!  The fact is I see hypocrisy in once again asking others to abide by standards you yourself FAIL to maintain.  If standards of character and behavior mean nothing compared to the end results then those that believe that have a lot to thank Josef Mengele for.

Aug 6, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #692 of 2,018
Anax, you're assuming that Mengele had some results, while he actually didn't. Thought I'd put this here, next to the Godwin point you're getting close to. You can go back to the flaming now.
Quote:
If standards of character and behavior mean nothing compared to the end results then those that believe that have a lot to thank Josef Mengele for.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #693 of 2,018
my odac is coming aug 9th. i'm so psyched to see what it hears like with the hd650 and asgard amp! i would have opted for the bifrost, but it was just way too expensive since i needed USB input the most. this DAC is as good as it gets for me.

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #694 of 2,018
I  Don't think Anax is flaming, just the inherit issue of conveying tone in text makes it seem so.

By all means carry on with this discussion, I am intrigued, but guys we all know by now, be careful what you say, I did see mention of Jude as an example.... which IMO I would highly refrain from using.... 

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #695 of 2,018
The flaming part wasn't addressed to Anax in particular. Personally I don't care much for what's happening here, I have no dog in that fight and don't intend to engage one. Still it's always noteworthy when the Godwin point is getting close, and Anax got damn close here.
Quote:
I  Don't think Anax is flaming, just the inherit issue of conveying tone in text makes it seem so.

By all means carry on with this discussion, I am intrigued, but guys we all know by now, be careful what you say, I did see mention of Jude as an example.... which IMO I would highly refrain from using.... 

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #696 of 2,018
Just FYI people, as this is a listening impressions thread, I'm moving it back into Dedicated Source Components. I think it'd be more sensible if someone wants to discuss the science of the design or blind tests of it that a separate thread is started in Sound Science.

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #697 of 2,018
Word of law --hammer has been dropped, gentlemen. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Just FYI people, as this is a listening impressions thread, I'm moving it back into Dedicated Source Components. I think it'd be more sensible if someone wants to discuss the science of the design or blind tests of it that a separate thread is started in Sound Science.

Does anyone find their ODAC to have a bit less emphasis on the mids than others?

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #698 of 2,018
Look, my point isn't that it's bad to be new to a hobby/interest.  It's great, everyone was at one point.  My point is that a lot of the people with the most extreme, most closed minded opinions about this dac have the least real experience and understanding and knowledge.  If you're new to something, you ought to have a more open mind and be more humble.  This thread is full of people who read one extreme opinion from a guy with a blog, and have come here repeating it like it's the word of God.  It's just one opinion, and it's not even yours.  Stick around for a while, learn something, and form your own opinions.  Then come back here and have a more sensible discussion instead of just vomiting someone else's words to feel good about yourself. 

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #699 of 2,018
Quote:

Does anyone find their ODAC to have a bit less emphasis on the mids than others?

Yes, when the power supply is having issues or something else is amiss.  I went through a whole roller coaster of interesting ODAC signatures.
_______

Godwin point does not equate to reductio ad Hitlerum.  The question was, do ends justify means?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/282260.stm
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19990218&slug=2944937
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100405152003AAqMvyP

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #700 of 2,018
Quote:
Look, my point isn't that it's bad to be new to a hobby/interest.  It's great, everyone was at one point.  My point is that a lot of the people with the most extreme, most closed minded opinions about this dac have the least real experience and understanding and knowledge.  If you're new to something, you ought to have a more open mind and be more humble.  This thread is full of people who read one extreme opinion from a guy with a blog, and have come here repeating it like it's the word of God.  It's just one opinion, and it's not even yours.  Stick around for a while, learn something, and form your own opinions.  Then come back here and have a more sensible discussion instead of just vomiting someone else's words to feel good about yourself. 

This right here...this is gold, bravo RhythmDevils.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #701 of 2,018
Formal warning to everyone: Anyone thread-crapping any further will find, without warning, they are unable to read or participate in that thread. Think carefully before you post.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #702 of 2,018
Told you guys he was watching.... Law is law.
Quote:
Formal warning to everyone: Anyone thread-crapping any further will find, without warning, they are unable to read or participate in that thread. Think carefully before you post.

Can you elaborate on "when something else [was] amiss?"

Quote:

Yes, when the power supply is having issues or something else is amiss.  I went through a whole roller coaster of interesting ODAC signatures.
_______

Godwin point does not equate to reductio ad Hitlerum.  The question was, do ends justify means?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/282260.stm
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19990218&slug=2944937
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100405152003AAqMvyP

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #704 of 2,018
Well, I think someone has gone too far. It is true that ODAC has its limit but it is an good DAC at a good price and if someone wants to compare ODACs to other more expensive DACs. They just go ahead and do that, those are their choices and their rights. I just want to mean that most of people here are contributors, or just customers look for the best things to hear at suitable prices. And if money is not important to someone than just buy anything that they think or truly is good. Everyone has their own measurements but I want to mention one thing. ODACs are good products of course they are not the best out there but they cost only $150 for each one.

This. Personally, I need more features and connectivity and I do have issues with the ODAC sonically. However, it's a good value for what it is and it fits the bill for its target audience.

Aug 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #705 of 2,018
Quote:
So which parties do you think were subjected to libelous claims?  C-Media, FiiO, Asus, Creative, Chinese audio companies as a whole, NuForce, AMB, Schiit, Head-Fi / Jude (and a couple others)?  I don't remember anything else off the top of my head.  I think in the majority of the above, criticisms are legitimate and well founded, based on actual products and tests.  For some cases, mostly involving interpreting others' motivations, there are probably some errors and definitely some conclusions I wouldn't be comfortable leaping to myself.

Mike,

You say 'Chinese audio companies as a whole', and you mention Fiio separately - that hasn't been my reading at all. Sure, V has criticised some of the measurements on various Fiio units that he has owned but if you go over the E9 measurements the amp had a surprisingly good report till he got to the output impedance issue. I didnt see a single post from a Head-Fier acknowledging that this amp may well be a good choice for certain fullsize cans - particularly given the price - they zeroed straight in on the black mark. 

While I haven't seen anything on his blog blasting all Chinese audio, he does single Audio-gd out. If you go back through the threads on various Audio-gd products here on Head-Fi (surely the company's biggest source of free plugs), it doesn't take long to form a mental picture of poor quality control. Measurements aside, IMO that is unacceptable for products with sticker prices that are much closer to Woo Audio than anything from Fiio or iBasso. NuForce have also had issues in this area - again, well documented on Head-Fi. Fiio certainly aren't perfect either, but for a company which churns out so much product (at, presumably, razor-sharp margins), I think they are doing a respectable job of servicing the budget end of this hobby. 

I'm not here to bash any of the above - or to make any particular claims on behalf of Fiio - but V's criticisms of the Chinese companies mentioned above didn't strike me as anything particularly new or novel - his were simply backed by measurements. I don't know if any Chinese company has approached him with a request to be one of the ODAC resellers, but its difficult to imagine how much more cheaply even Fiio could offer it over the JDS Labs price once shipping was factored in, but I'm confident that any decent Chinese manufacturer would build the ODAC to the specs they were given. 

Personally, I'd like to see the ODAC up against another budget (now $199) DAC which has been lumbered with the 'giant-killer' tag, Emotiva's XDA-1. Made in China but shipped free in the CONUS - and it has a Darko Award !  
rolleyes.gif

I know - reviewers, right ? - but 4.5 stars in this company from a $200 DAC - just sayin' .............

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back