Breaking News: HE1000 V2
Oct 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #271 of 386
The wood could have been really hot on the V2 if they went for a darker tone and used dark brushed metal instead of silver...

like the shangri-la?  Those are their most beautiful headphones! they used the same wood from the HE560's!!!

I would LOVE if the HE1000V2's had this....but...

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #272 of 386
I would still choose the $999 Focal Elear over their 30% more expensive HEX V2...but that's just me :sweat_smile:

after spending a bit of time with both the Elear and the Utopia, i'm still a fan of the HE1000V2.

Focal's soundstage is still too small imho. Albeit an excellent headphone. I'd rather have the HE1000V2.  And wait.... oh yea... I DO have them. bot the HE1000V2 and the HEXv2

Now my next upgrade is to sell my HD800 and get the HD800S... that's on my to-do list.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #273 of 386
Trying to figure out whether the upgrade program for the v1 to v2 is worth it.

Looking for those of you that have the v1s to weigh in with your thoughts, opinions and considerations, since some of you may be deciding against doing so while others may be, or will be, moving forward on the upgrade.

Thank you.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #274 of 386
Someone asked me weeks ago for comparison with V1 stock cables and V2 stock cables.
Hifiman claimed that the V2 cable got better sound quality.
After several hundred hours of trouble shooting, Some problems I supposed to be related to HE1000 V2 are concluded as disadvantages from V2 cables.
V1 stock cables sound much naturally.

Replace the V2 stock cables immediately to enjoy true sound quality of HE1000 V2 ! !

Cons of V2 stock cables:
1. lack of extension of extreme bass.
2. weird transition from mid sub-bass to extreme sub-bass.
3. harsh/ thinner mid-to-treble
4. lack of smooth extension on trebles.

*Edit*
Listing the defects of V2 stock cables didn't imply V1 stock cables are qualified for decent pair with HEK cans.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #276 of 386
Trying to figure out whether the upgrade program for the v1 to v2 is worth it.

Im still comparing v1 to v2 but love the v2's so far. The stock cables imho are not great for either!!! Do not much of a deal for me. Personally I change the cable right away to a brand that most people know and know why I choose

Looking for those of you that have the v1s to weigh in with your thoughts, opinions and considerations, since some of you may be deciding against doing so while others may be, or will be, moving forward on the upgrade.

Thank you.

Oct 14, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #277 of 386
Reviewing the V1 vs V2 in Chicago - with THREE cables from Trevor at  Norne Audio, who has been great to work with on this comparison.  Gathering opinions from a group of people, and I'd like to invite someone with an amp with a direct 4-pin output, to join the comparison, just in case the adapter I'm using makes a difference.  If you're in Chicago and have a high-end amp, pm me.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #278 of 386
Someone asked me weeks ago for comparison with V1 stock cables and V2 stock cables.
Hifiman claimed that the V2 cable got better sound quality.
After several hundred hours of trouble shooting, Some problems I supposed to be related to HE1000 V2 are concluded as disadvantages from V2 cables.
V1 stock cables sound much naturally.

Replace the V2 stock cables immediately to enjoy true sound quality of HE1000 V2 ! !

Cons of V2 stock cables:
1. lack of extension of extreme bass.
2. weird transition from mid sub-bass to extreme sub-bass.
3. harsh/ thinner mid-to-treble
4. lack of smooth extension on trebles.

*Edit*
Listing the defects of V2 stock cables didn't imply V1 stock cables are qualified for decent pair with HEK cans.

The way I would described the V2 cables are that they are "lizard like". You can feel the sticky nature of a brand new V2 already, and I will bet 12 months down the line we will get many complains about V2 cables being sticky and tacky to the touch, unless you lived in a place with cool temperature and low humidity.

I might not described it best here but when you get hold of a V2 cable on your hand, you'll understand what I mean.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #281 of 386
As an HE1000 enthusiast, I was thrilled to be invited into the HE1000 upgrade program.  

DISCLAIMER:  HiFiMan asked me to review the new version in exchange for my V1 version provided I offer an opinion after reviewing the 2 versions.  I've purposefully avoided reading other reviews of the HiFiMan HE-1000 V2.  I will have to say goodbye to one pair or the other, that's the bargain.  

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

Same box.  Same style.  Smaller.  Major cable upgrade.  MAJOR.  I still prefer the Moon Silver Dragon, but the upgraded cables are still a step up from the V1

PLUGGING IN:

The HE-1000 V2 should come with a red warning label:  Do Not Use Until Broken In.  I've never experienced a headphone of this stature that lacked bass the way the new HE-1000 V2 did out of the box.  I wanted to run back to the V1 screaming and crying-- "Why would the eliminate the sub-bass?  What were they thinking?"  

I put iTunes on repeat mode and flooded them with pink noise.

Fortunately, the missing bass only temporary.  After around 10 hours of burn-in with the pink noise sweep over a few nights, the bass thumps in.  Until I got there, I was convinced HiFiMan had made a major misstep with the update, and I was prepared to keep my V1 beta edition.  Whew.

The area the HE-1000 needed the most work was in the upper mids, to my ears.  Right in the area where the snare drum lives there was an audible dent in the frequency response on the V1.  The snare drums lacked snap and presence.  That, thankfully, has been corrected with the V2.  

The soundstage width is about the same to my ears, perhaps a little narrower on the V2.  As a tradeoff, the imaging has greater focus. 

The V2 are cozier headphones.  The V1 is a roomier headphone.  From the looks of it-- the HE1000 V2 has moved the membrane closer to the ear-- the thickness of the wood is less on the V2.  The proximity change seems to have created an interesting effect-- you actually feel the bass more when it slams around your ears.  You sort of feel the musical impact.  

I still wouldn't put these headphones in the "basshead" category, it's a more balanced, full-bodied overall signature.  

ADVANCING THE NARRATIVE:

I had to leave the new headphones for two agonizing weeks while away on business.

The V2s are growing on me.  Doing some quick-change work between the V1 and V2 this morning, the bass is deeper, tighter, with more impact than the V1.  The impact might be the proximity affect I referred to earlier.  I assume the bass will continue to improve as I get more break-in.

The midrange (in particular, upper mids) is where HiFiMan really did serious work.  The gains are a definite improvement.  The V sound is flattened ever so slightly, this is a good thing.  More sparkle on the top end.  Serious kudos improving the V1's greatest weakness.  

Intimacy.  That's the word that keeps presenting itself as I listen.  The HE1000 V2 is a more intimate experience than the V1.  If you were a fan of the V1, as I still am, the V2 gives you the same sound in a more intimate experience with improvements along the way.  If you like vocals, this headphone will scratch that itch in a profound way.  Honestly, there is little the V1 didn't handle well, so understand, we're talking tweaks here, not giant steps.

Fit and finish-- Frankly, I prefer the looser feel of the V1-- no cloth touches my somewhat large-ish ears (not the case with the V2)-- this is a personal preference, but the V1 headphones are floppier on my head and will slide around if I turn quickly.  The V2 is tighter in its hinges, they stay in place better and don't slop around in my hands the way the V1 does.  HiFiMan listened to the criticism and tightened up tolerances in the whole package.  The V2 is lighter in weight, the construction is tighter in all the seams.  The wood is lighter in color.

This is a more polished and refined headphone, but they haven't thrown away the overall HE1000 experience, it's an upgrade not a complete overhaul.  

RESULTS:

I will be keeping the V2.  HiFiMan has improved an already stellar headphone.  

Source Gear: Mac Pro >> Audionirvana Plus >> Chord Hugo TT >> Woo Audio WA5LE V2 
Interconnects: Moon Audio Silver Dragon, Audioquest

Oct 15, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #282 of 386
  This is a more polished and refined headphone, but they haven't thrown away the overall HE1000 experience, it's an upgrade not a complete overhaul.  

RESULTS:
I will be keeping the V2.  HiFiMan has improved an already stellar headphone.  

Agree with your observations about the V2. I couldn't find anything spectacular about the V2 over the plain V1. My modded V1 with the tape/sponge and after market cables would totally trashed the plain V1 and V2. It has significant improved treble and midrange while keeping the wide soundstage and deep sub-bass.

Good thing that you gave the V1 back to HFM. It would be a no-brainer for me since V1 has shed more than 1/3 of its worth since the V2 announced. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #283 of 386
I was lucky enough to score a free upgrade from the original HE1000 to the v2 in exchange for my thoughts on the matter.  Actually inspired me to start an audio review website - audioooh.com (audio gear that makes you say ooh).  There's a more in depth comparison on our review site.  Also talk about the comparison on youtube.

Head-to-head comparison:
HIFIman HE1000 - the original versus v2

Introduction
The HIFIman HE1000 v2 headphones represent a practical pinnacle of headphone technology. Unlike the mystical peak of $50,000 headphones accessible mainly to millionaires, these headphones are impressive but accessible with some work.

Sonic comparison of the original to v2
The biggest change moving from the original to v2 HE1000 is an increase in the forwardness of the upper midrange.  With the v2, it literally sounds like the (female) artist is singing at your face, a few feet away.  In comparison, female voices in the original are singing in the same room with you, but they’re on the other end of the room, and it’s a well padded room.  Certainly the mids are clear on the original version, but you have to choose to pay attention to the voice compared to other aspects of the music.  In contrast, vocals grab your attention on the v2.

There maybe an increase in in overall resolution with the v2, but that’s hard to separate from the increased amplitude of the midrange.  What fortunately has not changed is the liquidity of the midrange and its ability to show of the beauty of instruments in that range yet also to keep subpar recordings listenable.  There’s definitely a danger to overly forward mids, as many headphones with subpar drivers just roll of the frequency extremes and therefore vocals pop.  The v2 is far from such an implementation.  If you go from the original to the v2, comparing the same track, it’s hard for me to imagine anyone not preferring the v2.  It’s even harder to imaging wanting the original if you go from the v2 back to the original.  Sometimes “peaky” sound can lead to a short-lived preference, but the v2 is generally filling in the slightly recessed mids of the original in a way that is listenable for hours.

I initially brushed off the importance of weight reduction in v2, but have come to appreciate over longer listening sessions. Beyond the increased comfort, this change works with the transparent presentation and spacious ear cups to help the apparatus you strapped to your head disappear, as you suspend disbelief and focus on the music.

Despite looking for differences in bass or treble I just don’t hear them.  Evidence such differences are faint if they exist at all is that I can definitely (blind) tell differences between cables in this area on the v2.

v2 Physical structure
The headphone design is strictly functional.  Almost all components are metal or wood (the veneer rings) which is a good starting point, but the build quality does not feel robust.  It may well be robust, as I’ve never had an issue with anything falling apart, but perceived quality is not at the Sennheiser HD800 level.  Overall there’s a sense they provide the absolute minimum needed to dangle these things off your head.  Minimalism isn’t always bad, and it helps with weight savings.  However, there are some negative consequences to the minimalism.  For instance, the little detents for the headband adjustment - totally work and there’s a few more of them now compared to the original design, but it’s a crude feeling as you try to adjust them.  If you have longer hair (as I do), it’s very easy for it to get caught in the swivel joints and ripped out when you remove the headphones.  Fundamentally, at this price point it would be preferable to have an object that doesn’t feel janky when you pick it up.  That being said, it’s pretty clear that a lot of the money you’ve handed over went into engineering the sound.  If sounds is really what matter to you, the build quality will still leave you quizzical, but you’ll forget about it when you listen.

Value proposition
The “expensive” headphones I’ve owned that felt expensive at the time were the Koss KS35, for $25 in college; the massively underappreciated Sony CD3000 for ~$200 used in grad school, and the HE5 ($400 used) during my first job.  The point is not just that that expensive is a relative term, but that everyone of the headphones put a smile on my face by provided a magical sense of involvement with music.  If audio is your top priority, then spending a couple percent points of your income on it is probably possible if you scrimp everywhere else.  In my case, it’s been worth skipping meals to fund these purchases, including the HE1000.  

Conclusion
Of course you want this headphone.  The question of whether you would purchase a direct alternative comes down to if you want a ton of bass, in which case there is Audeze or a hankering for the cool beryllium woofer from Utopia, in which case there’s the Utopia.  Overall, the v2 is a piece of equipment that lets you lose yourself in the music, which is the whole point.  In particular if you listen to well produced electronic music, the beauty of the mids is going to show you all of the detail there, with a richness that’s just perfect. That’s why the HE1000 remains a headphone I don’t have the upgrade itch…. now that it’s been upgraded to the v2.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #284 of 386
Yes and not, this move (V2 version 6 months after launch of HEX and 1 year after HEK) would be correct if they didn't do the beta testers program
This is the product that the beta testers wanted, so this "V2 versions" should've been released one year ago, that's the purpose of a beta testers program, to know what your customers want.

Is normal to improve products, Sennheiser launched HD800S six years after and without public beta testers program...what Hifiman did is reserve the opinions of the beta testers to save the R&D for a V2 version, and of course to make more money of that second revision, not a very honest way to do things.

Focal was the wisest company, I'm sure they hired someone to read Head-fi one entire year, recollected info, and they said: OK, a headphone like this and another like that, and...boom, totally disrupted everything. Oh, and very wise pricing decisions, they have a nice opportunity to collect feedback of the 1kusd and the 4kusd headphone and release a 2kusd headphone that suits another part of the market...that's how you do things right, what Hifiman is doing is laughing at customer's face.

I could not agree more with this! In addition, HFM's QC is extremely poor. A close friend on another forum has posted numerous pictures of the hekv1 that are shocking for a $3000 headphone. I hope HFM starts to do a better job of standing by its customers vs what I have heard to date!

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #285 of 386
I could not agree more with this! In addition, HFM's QC is extremely poor. A close friend on another forum has posted numerous pictures of the hekv1 that are shocking for a $3000 headphone. I hope HFM starts to do a better job of standing by its customers vs what I have heard to date!

Yes buddy, QC is a joke.
Another point, they manufacture in China (we all know, cheaper labor and production costs), how can Audeze sell the LCD-2 for 1k, with real wood and a very solid construction and made in USA, being such a small company, and meanwhile...Hifiman charges 3k for this build quality? I'm not talking about driver problems, that's another story, but I'm talking on build quality and feel of the product.

It's a shame, because the headphones sound really good, but c'mon, they can do a lot better.
The same for Shangri-La, never seen one in person but judging from pictures it looks almost equal to HE-1000, so we can expect the same poor build quality in a much more expensive product...it's a shame, not even funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back