Break-in for HD800's?
Aug 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 44
Could someone please describe in greater detail the changes in character that occur during break-in with the HD-800? I think I read all reviews but the details are few.

Problem is I heard a zero-hour pair that I found a little "sterile" and uninvolving (using a Rudistor RPX-33, see report here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...dition-435680/ ), and I would like to know if this can be attibuted to a the fact that they had zero hours on them.

Thank you in advance!

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 44
They change a bit, as if the peak in the highs got slightly tamed and the bass stopped being too mechanical to become more natural and bodyful. Both things help to make them sounding more involving.
However these puppies are extremely amp and source dependent. Feed them with an average, even good DAC which is in the cold/analytical/hyper-resolving side of things (as opposed to natural/warm/"musical") and they'll sound that way. Same goes for amps. Many good SS ones tend to be a bit cold, and the HD800 will show it mercilessly, accentuating the flaws into many recordings. Think of sibilances, percussion hits, reverbs and echoes...

As for the OP question, I see the HD800 as a much improved version of the HD600 (more than the 650 which to my ears are more colored in the bass-midbass and actually sound a bit veiled) being faster, producing less distortion, more resolving, with more space, separation and depth, and probably more versatile. The HD600 never were "rock cans" while the HD800, despite being excellent phones for complex classical music, can rock very well too. Not a la Grado, but IMO better than the HD600.

Aug 4, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #18 of 44
Mine changed noticeably with break-in. At first I thought they were thin, edgy and "stiff" sounding, almost sibiliant.

I did some just above normal listening level with pink noise for some days, but it wasn't before I cranked the volume to 100dBA+ for some hours they really softened and settled down, actually to the point I hope they don't change any more. Not sure if I would recommend this method though. I thought the volume was quite high, and not sure what their limit is...

Now, I am truly happy I kept them. They are marvellous sounding cans!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone please describe in greater detail the changes in character that occur during break-in with the HD-800? I think I read all reviews but the details are few.

Problem is I heard a zero-hour pair that I found a little "sterile" and uninvolving (using a Rudistor RPX-33, see report here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...dition-435680/ ), and I would like to know if this can be attibuted to a the fact that they had zero hours on them.

Thank you in advance!

I would describe mine as somewhat sterile as well in the beginning.

With break-in: Cool Torpedo above here described it pretty spot on, those are similar to my impressions as well.

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #20 of 44
Cool_Torpedo and nor_spoon, thank for your replies, those are very good news (well, not for my credit card).

If anyone else could share their experiences, they'd be very welcome. Thank You!

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 44
I put them on and was good to go. To me it's like these aren't Sennheiser cans - the bass and high end are much different than HD650, way better, clearer... but the midrange is that characteristic neutral Sennheiser mid sound.

Getting used to this slight change in sound signature was it: better bass extension & tightness, waaaay better high end! Just be prepared for a couple hours of adjustment if you owned HD 650s.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #22 of 44
well the sigs of these phones should change after like 100 hours or so from the initial "new metallic" sound.. but any longer than that i am sceptic... but they sure sound good!

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #23 of 44
The biggest change happened in the treble. Initially it was shockingly strident and sharp. The strings in a particular Glasunow symphony sounded like made of steel – virtually unlistenable. The bass was really good from the start, just slightly thin due to minimally underrepresented upper bass.

The last 20 hours up to the now 200 hours provided further improvement: The same Glasunow Symphony now sounds amazingly natural, the strings have just a hint of treble emphasis, but nothing to worry about. The bass is slightly fuller and effectively perfect to my ears – no wishes left in terms of extension, linearity, cleanness, definition and impact. The treble is still slightly emphasized, but quite smooth now. I'm considering an aftermarket cable for perfectioning treble refinement, but could absolutely live with the status quo.

Over-all the sonic balance hasn't changed much, but the sound is clearly more refined, coherent and smoother than out of the box.

Aug 11, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #24 of 44
Phew. I just got my mine, and I can barely listen to them. There is definitely sibilance. A lot. The treble is very harsh, and the bass impact is diminished and definitely attenuated. I was a bit worried, but it sounds like this is pretty much what they sound like out of the box. Time for some hardcore 24/7 pink noise.

Update @ 48h of pink noise
Treble still very harsh, bass still lacking. Possibly better than @ 24h. Doh.

Update @ ~80h of pink noise
Treble STILL harsh, bass still lacking. POSSIBLY better than @ 48h. Compared to my HD650 on the same amp, the tonal balance of the HD800 is still waaaayyyy too bright (to the point of annoyance) though the bass is tighter (and attenuated). What a disappointment. I might have to send the HD800's back.

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #25 of 44
does anyone know where they can be bought in europe with a money-back guarantee ?

I really don't feel confortable buying them just by hoping they become pleasant in the burn-in process... I really need to be sure or have the possibility of sending them back...

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The designer suggested 48-hours with pink noise.

Reading these forums - the consensus appears to be between 100 and 150 hours.

That's interesting. I got my HD800 pair on July 1st and immediately subjected them to 90 dB non-stop pink-noise. I found that I didn't perceive any further changes after 48 hours. Maybe the large variance on the forum is due to differing burn-in material and/or sound levels?

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phew. I just got my mine, and I can barely listen to them. There is definitely sibilance. A lot. The treble is very harsh, and the bass impact is diminished and definitely attenuated. I was a bit worried, but it sounds like this is pretty much what they sound like out of the box. Time for some hardcore 24/7 pink noise.

Update @ 48h of pink noise
Treble still very harsh, bass still lacking. Possibly better than @ 24h. Doh.

What amp are you using with them? I've found them to be much smoother and fuller with transformer coupled tubes.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #29 of 44
VERY harsh and strident, unatural/-organic. I had my first listen yesterday at a local shop. I listened to several records and the phones were connected to the Lehmann (Black cube?) and source was Cambridge Audio's Dacmagic. As Jazz mentioned, unlistenable. Hopefully a burn-in does more to these cans..

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VERY harsh and strident, unatural/-organic. I had my first listen yesterday at a local shop. I listened to several records and the phones were connected to the Lehmann (Black cube?) and source was Cambridge Audio's Dacmagic. As Jazz mentioned, unlistenable. Hopefully a burn-in does more to these cans..

My experience too (detailed report in another thread)
frown.gif

They are a fabulous achievement and I want to like them because technically they are fabulous so it would be great if the organic part surfaced after burnin and harshness disappeared.

So I want to believe they will change with burn-in, but I'm not willing to pay 1000euro to find out, hence the importance of some detailled feedback on this
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back