Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
Jun 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #856 of 2,720
I just received mine today (California) and I can't believe how it sounds. At first, I was skeptical (for HK-made electronics) and it sounds very sweet on my Grado SR325i.  I ordered this for curiousity sake after battling my mind if I have to spend some hard-earned $$ for a Chinese-made electronic.  I am currently playing it from an Ipod Classic source from Leonard Cohen, Marc Cohn, to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. Sounds superb with the equalizers positioned all the way down. With my "V" setting, that is where all the sounds not heard from my other reputable U.S. made headphone amp. Then I fed it on my fully upgraded (Blackgates, Solens) Apt Holman preamp thru an upgraded Hafler DH-500 (I have this power amp hooked to a switcher receiving 5 different preamps (Upgraded Hafler DH-110, Belles, Apt Holman, Acurus, Bryston) and all of them gave me sounds resulting in some instrument sources I never heard from my CD player before without the BRAVO headphone amp in between. For now, it is still in "burn" mode and I expect to hear much better sound after at least 50 hours of burn time. (I usually let my new stuff going thru a 2-hour burn, power off for a few minutes and on again for another 2 hours until it reaches at least 50 hours) Why?  My tech has over 30 years of experience in the audio repair business, worked for NASA and a reputable computer company before he permanently retired and concentrate on personal audio repair business specializing on tube amps. Finally you got to give this Headphone Amp some serious listening and decide for yourself. Peace!

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #857 of 2,720
Since I now have a lot of diferent types of tubes, i was thinking of changing the tube socket. On Ebay they sell  tube sockets pretty cheap, even the gold plated ones, so I want to change the socket to accept a different kind of tube and compare them.  It would definetly change the sound, and it would make a cool mod.  Has anyone done that here??  Is it even possible to do??

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #858 of 2,720
That's not something you can do as it's more than just changing the tube socket.  Actually, I think the tubes you bought would all fit in the existing socket anyway.
The differences in tubes have to do with the different voltages and other electrical measurements it operates at.  It would require completely rebuilding the circuit which is going to be more trouble than it's ever going to be worth.  Doesn't make any sense to do that.  You be doing more work than just building a new circuit from scratch.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #860 of 2,720
I got it now hooked up on my PSE Studio One preamp and PSE Studio Two power amp with my Polk Atrium 65SDi outdoor speakers (still with Ipod Classic playing Special EFX, Don Dorsey, Benise, and Kraftwerk--sounds sweet, powerful and clean. It really sounds good with more bass on Grado SR325i Headphones. A little bright and more highs on Sony MDR-V6. It's been playing for 8 hours and is doing fine.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #861 of 2,720

Quote:
It works fine with the supplied 6922 Electro Harmonix Russian-made tube.  I am planning to replace it with Amperex tube just to find out if there is any improvement.

Just to be clear, we are talking about two different models here.  One uses a 6DJ8/6922 and one uses a 12AU7

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #863 of 2,720
Deleted. (It's just so early to judge this amp)

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #866 of 2,720
Well last night I tought it was a burn-in issue. But obviously not. My Bravo audio v2 gains music volume indeed. But with a crappy presentation. Transparency and sound stage doesn't mean anything with this product. I listen much more good equipment so probably I am not so forgiveness to this. But truth is truth. My emu 202 headphone out has less power but better quality than this. Is there any chance to make it listenable with tube rolling?

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #867 of 2,720
Quote:
Well last night I tought it was a burn-in issue. But obviously not. My Bravo audio v2 gains music volume indeed. But with a crappy presentation. Transparency and sound stage doesn't mean anything with this product. I listen much more good equipment so probably I am not so forgiveness to this. But truth is truth. My emu 202 headphone out has less power but better quality than this. Is there any chance to make it listenable with tube rolling?

Replacing the stock tube does the amp a lot of good, but I'm not sure it would reach the level you're looking for.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #868 of 2,720
I will try a sylvania 12au7 than. Looks like cheap and decent tubes for this amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back