Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps
May 23, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #826 of 2,720
Hi friends,
Any comment about my problem? Anybody tried this?

Quote:
Hi, everybody. I am new here and headphone amplifier world
smile.gif
I just received my bravo. I need your opinion about:
  • [size=10pt]As you know there are 2 triodes in the amp. Both burning a light but one is brighter than the other.[/size]
  • [size=10pt]While playing,(In case using RCA input) when you unplug one channel  I hear a[/size] creaking sound in the free channel instead of a silence.
are these problems or normal.

Thank you for any response...

May 23, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #827 of 2,720
You'll probably never put the stock tube back in it... If either of those are typical of their type, they'll be awesome in comparison.

Quote:
Scored a pair of tubes (Mullard and Bugle Boy) for around $25 shipped off eBay, should be fun to see the differences between it and the stock China-made tube.

May 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #828 of 2,720
I just scored a Bravo V2 for $28 shipped. Only $13 for the amp... I think that, so far, I'm winning in the bargain amp race.

May 24, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #829 of 2,720
Every tube is different... Just look for ECC82s from Siemens, Telefunken, Amperex (Philips) and Mullard. Experiment and find tubes that you like the sonic presentation after listening for a few days.

Quote:
i just won one of these for $15.51 hah.

Is there a post in this thread that covers the replacement tube options with this amp?  I have been reading through it and haven't seen a post that kind of compiles the tube options out there.  There are just individuals with individual results.  I was wondering if there is a general consensus as to what are the top few tube choices everyone has agreed upon as far as a replacement tube.

May 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #830 of 2,720
That's like buying a tube and getting the amp for free...how can you loose?

Quote:
I just scored a Bravo V2 for $28 shipped. Only $13 for the amp... I think that, so far, I'm winning in the bargain amp race.

May 25, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #831 of 2,720

Quote:
That's like buying a tube and getting the amp for free...how can you loose?

The only way I can lose in this situation is if my wife says something like, "Where did that come from and how much did you pay for it? Do you mean that none of those little glass things you have will work in it and you're going to start buying different ones? Are you sure they won't work? They look the same to me!"

Being a Magistrate doesn't help when you've already been convicted before She knows anything about the subject...

May 25, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #832 of 2,720
hehe, I got mine for £20 shipped too :)

It arrived today, really like the thing, sounds good so far but no time to give a good listen right now due to exams... looks awesome with the blue and red glow too

Quote:

May 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #833 of 2,720
I have the same problem...

Quote:
The only way I can lose in this situation is if my wife says something like, "Where did that come from and how much did you pay for it? Do you mean that none of those little glass things you have will work in it and you're going to start buying different ones? Are you sure they won't work? They look the same to me!"

Being a Magistrate doesn't help when you've already been convicted before She knows anything about the subject...

May 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #834 of 2,720
I've been pretty pleased with mine, it's a good little amp for the price. It's imperative that you quickly replace that tube though; the stock 12AU7 sounds terrible imho. I used to have another amp that used 12AU7s, so I had a few in storage. I currently am running a NOS RCA cleartop 12AU7 with two tube damping rings with pretty good results.

Noise floor is a little high on one of the channels, which can pretty much be expected of an amp of this price, but you can't hear it when the music is playing. I was debating whether or not to mod the little bugger, but i think I'll leave it stock. Pretty much all the parts are of similar quality, if you wanted to really step it up, you'd have to replace most of them :wink:

May 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #835 of 2,720
Quote:
The only way I can lose in this situation is if my wife says something like, "Where did that come from and how much did you pay for it? Do you mean that none of those little glass things you have will work in it and you're going to start buying different ones? Are you sure they won't work? They look the same to me!

The trick is to ask her about the last pair of shoes or handbag she bought :wink:

May 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #836 of 2,720

Quote:
The trick is to ask her about the last pair of shoes or handbag she bought :wink:

That "trick" died before 1990. I've been married to her for 22 years and the standard replay to that question is, "I need shoes (or purses, make-up, hair/nail appointments, etc.), but you don't need that thing (set of headphones, ancient coin, iPhone, amp, magazine subscription, liquor/beer, etc.).

Plausible deniability demands that I get it in the house, get it in an "established" position and answer if questioned, "I've had that for a while, but I thought I'd start tinkering with it." She won't believe it, but she might let it pass if I have credit in the "marriage bank." I can get credit in the bank by picking-up my clothes, cooking, etc. I have very little credit at the moment...

BTW, mine will be modded. That's the most fun about having these little boogers. Bravos are known to be noisier than Indeeds, but some folks have reflowed solder joints and quieted theirs somewhat.

May 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #839 of 2,720
I'm new to tubes.. so if I buy another ECC82/12AU7 tube, it's just plug and play? What's this 'bias' adjust thing I keep reading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back