Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Feb 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,332 of 6,668
see I told everyone it was going to be great having soren
on board

I had no idea of those controls existed

Never underestimate the power of curious geeks! :grinning:

I think they went with, apple's "natural" scrolling method.

Then they should swap the side buttons as well, having the screen swipe respond opposite of the physical buttons seems rather counter-intuitive.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,333 of 6,668
Then they should swap the side buttons as well, having the screen swipe respond opposite of the physical buttons seems rather counter-intuitive.

They could have easily gone for horizontal swipes. I agree, vertical swipes are confusing, I end up using the bottom buttons.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #3,334 of 6,668
Never underestimate the power of curious geeks! :grinning:

Cool, I never knew about this controls. Geek on! 

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #3,335 of 6,668
Bonus controls:
Tap the cover art on the "now playing" screen to show the song lyrics (if available) as an overlay instead of the track number. Tap once more for no overlay at all.
When adjusting the volume, swiping up or down on the volume adjustment overlay will turn the sound up or down VERY fast. Useful when using the line out, sorta dangerous with headphones. Trust me.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #3,337 of 6,668
Has anyone tried running the HD650 from the balanced output of the AK players?

It might work with the 240 and 120 but not the 100. the 100 has more power in single ended and frankly, the balanced out doesn't, IMO, sound as good as the single ended out. They really did an AK on the 100II balanced out as it is there in name only. Otherwise the 100II sounds pretty darn good. Different from my DX90, no better IMO but a difference so that they are both enjoyable. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #3,338 of 6,668
It might work with the 240 and 120 but not the 100. the 100 has more power in single ended and frankly, the balanced out doesn't, IMO, sound as good as the single ended out. They really did an AK on the 100II balanced out as it is there in name only. Otherwise the 100II sounds pretty darn good. Different from my DX90, no better IMO but a difference so that they are both enjoyable. 

Do you don't recommend going balanced with the AK100ii? I'm currently wracking my brain on whether or not to spend almost $300 for balanced cables for my FAD Pandora Hope VI....

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,339 of 6,668
Do you don't recommend going balanced with the AK100ii? I'm currently wracking my brain on whether or not to spend almost $300 for balanced cables for my FAD Pandora Hope VI....

It is my opinion. I do not want to tell someone else what they may or may not hear. Maybe with what you are using it will be fine. My experience has not been positive but it is my opinion. Hopefully someone will chime in with the opposite that will help  you out. :^)

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3,340 of 6,668
Has anyone tried running the HD650 from the balanced output of the AK players?

I run my HD700 balanced from AK120 II. It is good enough for short listening sessions on the patio.
But, it's not doing justice to either. Some tracks are enjoyable at level-55, some tracks are horrible and if you try to push past 60, it just gets shouty.

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #3,341 of 6,668

It is my opinion. I do not want to tell someone else what they may or may not hear. Maybe with what you are using it will be fine. My experience has not been positive but it is my opinion. Hopefully someone will chime in with the opposite that will help  you out. :^)

I had to try the AK100 II balanced out with my NT6pros - since it was there - so I ordered Ted's silver reference litz balanced AK cables. Have to say that I hated it at first listen and went back to my coppers - Moon audio black dragon - single ended and preferred that - especially when amped with my BH2 for a very punchy and lush sound. However.... 

However, I started testing the H8P from my CustomArt tour kit on the balanced cable and much preferred that setup to single ended copper. In fact, I had trouble wanting to listen to any other setup with the H8P demo for that week as it was really that good. After sending on the demo kit, I tried the NT6pros balanced again and this time found it to be my much preferred setup. Maybe it was burnin of the balanced circuit or maybe it was just brain burnin, but now that is all I listen to. The NT6pro running balanced with the AK100 II is now noticeably better in sound stage size and instrument separation and imaging than single ended. This improved imaging makes it feel more transparent too which is magical with the NT6pro's famous clarity. Altogether, this brings new life to the AK's wonderful DAC.

On the other hand, at CANJAM, the AK120 II paired balanced with the LCD-XC had end game sound quality, but not so much with the AK100 II. So I think it may be hit or miss based on the IEM/CIEM/HP of choice as well as your expectations and signature preferences - YMMV.

To run my LCD2.2 from my AK, I go copper SE with my BH2 amp which is very euphoric and my preferred setup. I did also buy the balanced 4pin to AK balanced converter cable from Ted to try my LCD's AK balanced as well, but the LCD2 really needs the external amp to sound its best.

If I ever get an HD700 balanced cable, I will try that as well as they are easier to run - but so far, I don't think the HD700 pairs well with the AK. It likes a warmer signature like my Geek Out 720 or the wonderful Bottlehead Crack tube amp.

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #3,342 of 6,668
Would love to get some impression from people who jumped from the DX90 to AK100ii

Wondering if I should take the leap or just wait for the X7...

To DX90 is the most lifeless DAP I have ever heard....As previous owner of DX90 and AK120 definitely I prefer AK100 II because the sound is more thick, although the soundstage is small but it has a lot of depth

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #3,343 of 6,668
To DX90 is the most lifeless DAP I have ever heard....As previous owner of DX90 and AK120 definitely I prefer AK100 II because the sound is more thick, although the soundstage is small but it has a lot of depth

I also owned both a DX90 and ak100ii at the same time.
While I agree the ak100ii is also my preference, I did not find the DX90 lifeless.
I actually find the DX90 more energetic than the ak100ii.
Where the DX90 force feeds you details, the ak100ii delivers them on a silver platter with caviar and Champagne.

I liked both DAPs however I opted for the ak100ii for its refinement.  It is a more mature sounding Dap.
In addition to the superior sound I found the ak100ii to exceed the DX90 in:

UI
Wifi (Yes I actually used it)
battery life
aesthetics
touch screen its self is much better
Balanced out

I was using the DX90 in combination with the GoVibe portatube and found it to be fantastic, because the tube smoothed out the rough edges of the DX90 and also added a little warmth/body to the sound.  
I found I got more refinement from the AK100ii HO and as such I opted for the single device over the 2.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #3,344 of 6,668

Must have been something wrong with your DX90. I enjoy the Ak100II, great sound but in a different way, to me, the DX90 is every bit as good. In reference to "life", the DX90 can bring rock more to life for me than the 100II can. The Ak100II is smooth and very silky but at times to much so for me and it glosses over the rawness of some music. They are both fun and enjoy both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back