Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Feb 6, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #3,316 of 6,668
Would love to get some impression from people who jumped from the DX90 to AK100ii

Wondering if I should take the leap or just wait for the X7...

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #3,318 of 6,668
Would love to get some impression from people who jumped from the DX90 to AK100ii

Wondering if I should take the leap or just wait for the X7...

Was not a DX90 user but I literally A-B the DX90 and AK100II for closed to 2 hours with my Roxanne and found that I prefer the more forward mid presentation of the 100II.
Maybe on more diificult to drive iem or cans, the 90 has more power.
Value-wise, hard to ignore the 90 if you can with the shortcoming such as UI, battery life, etc.
If I didn't have thr budget for 100II, I would have gotten the 90 without regrets

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #3,319 of 6,668
@blur510 would be good if you can a/b. I actually preferred the ak120 vs ak240 in terms of sound. However the 240's gui did it for me as its much easy. The 120 had issue with tags, which aggravated me with my obsessive compulsive behavior. I still have both btw. I planned to mezzo the 120 but still can't pin down battery life after the mod.

​I have the AK 120 on order, I don't have a 240.  I will be ordering a Gloveaudio A1 along with balanced wires.  I only have the 8.A.  I am not really good at describing sounds but I will try

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,320 of 6,668
I finally ordered a 128GB microSD card from Amazon this morning, so thanks to all who have posted about how to ensure compatibility w/ the AK120ii.

I still have two 64GB cards (FAT32 format), but I was finding myself constantly swapping out music files as I ran out of space on the 64GB card I primarily use, and I got tired fo needing to swap out 64GB cards.  I'm lazy, methinks.  =)

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #3,321 of 6,668
I keep thinking I`ve got to try one of these - 1TB wifi SSD - and they are on sale this weekend.   These were discussed briefly a couple of months back; is anybody finding long-term joy with one of these wireless drives?  How`s the functionality/bug-factor?  How`s the sound quality?  

It`s only about $130 . . . 

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #3,322 of 6,668
I thought $130 for 1TB of SSD space was too good to be true, and turns out it is.  That's a mini hard drive, not an SSD.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/portable-hard-drives/ministation/ministation-air

Super slim, compact 7mm hard drive enables efficient streaming for long battery life

Also, it looks like it doesn't support FLAC for streaming, although if you were just using it as storage that shouldn't matter.

I also don't see how a digital file storage device would impact sound quality, assuming no buffering issues or problems with read speed, and apart from the mechanical noise of the drive itself, since it's all 1's and 0's until it hits your DAC.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #3,323 of 6,668

Also, it looks like it doesn't support FLAC for streaming, although if you were just using it as storage that shouldn't matter.

I also don't see how a digital file storage device would impact sound quality, assuming no buffering issues or problems with read speed, and apart from the mechanical noise of the drive itself, since it's all 1's and 0's until it hits your DAC.

How can they fit a 1TB hdd in a case with these dimensions :  5.7 x 3.3 x 0.7 

Those are the dimensions in centimeters, copied from the Buffalo page you linked above.   It`s the size of a zippo lighter ! 

It must be inches, and a misprint. . . 

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #3,324 of 6,668

How can they fit a 1TB hdd in a case with these dimensions :  5.7 x 3.3 x 0.7 

Those are the dimensions in centimeters, copied from the Buffalo page you linked above.   It`s the size of a zippo lighter ! 

It must be inches, and a misprint. . . 

Yup, it is inches according to the product brochure: http://www.buffalotech.com/content/files/products/HDW-PDU3_DS.pdf

If the thing is built well and uses decent components, that could be a pretty nifty and affordable portable storage device, although I personally don't have a need for the wifi or streaming part.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #3,325 of 6,668
So I've had my AK120II for about a week now and have been comparing it with my RWAK100S>Vorzuge Pure II. I must say as much as I love the warmth of the Wolfson 8741 the dual Cirrus 4398 do provide a more natural and clear feel. Now I think I'm a noob audiophile, so I will try and explain how I hear things.

To me the AK120II sounds more clear with a little better instrument separation. Listening I've noticed that it seems the singer is directly in front of me. Almost as they're singing to me and the rest of the band is behind. Soundstage is nice and wide. I also noticed the bass doesn't seem to go as low on the AK120II as on the RWAK100S, but is still noticeable.

As far as the RWAK100S>Pure II combo, I've noticed that the instrument separation is there, just not as much as the AK120II. It also feels like the singer blends in with the rest of the band as opposed to being front and center on the AK120II. Soundstage is nice and the bass seems to hit harder. Not a lot where it gets boomy, but enough to hit with conviction and commanding to be noticed.

I am loving the AK120II more and more everyday and am considering selling the RWAK100S. The UI is so much better than on the original AK100 and with wanting to go more portable without lugging around an amp, it was well worth the upgrade.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,327 of 6,668
  I keep thinking I`ve got to try one of these - 1TB wifi SSD - and they are on sale this weekend.   These were discussed briefly a couple of months back; is anybody finding long-term joy with one of these wireless drives?  How`s the functionality/bug-factor?  How`s the sound quality?  

It`s only about $130 . . . 

I had this for a few weeks but sent it back,its ok and plays all files including hires flac but i tried to update the firmware and it corrupted it and I couldnt use its app.Would have got a replacement but got a cracking deal on an AK120 Titan which I coulndt refuse so the the refund went towards that.It has a 3year guarantee so is worth a punt at a good price.

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #3,328 of 6,668
Just in case others had missed these controls:

It kinda bugs me that the swipe controls are the opposite of the buttons on the side of the player...

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #3,329 of 6,668
Just in case others had missed these controls:

It kinda bugs me that the swipe controls are the opposite of the buttons on the side of the player...

see I told everyone it was going to be great having soren
on board

I had no idea of those controls existed

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3,330 of 6,668

I think they went with, apple's "natural" scrolling method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back