Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Feb 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #3,301 of 6,668
Having listened to my K10s with my iPhone for the past 2 weeks, I have decided to get the 100ii and man this thing is great! Still awaiting for my balanced cables to arrive but I already am blown away by the amount of details I am hearing from this player, initially I didn't thought that there would be such a huge sonic difference. Have a great weekend guys! 

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3,302 of 6,668
I received the Pelican 1030 that I ordered. The ak120ii fits, although a little tight at the knob. I also was able to fit a pair of Heir 3ai.
I think I might end up ordering the Lowepro case. Just not a big fan of how tight the fit is at the knob area.

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #3,304 of 6,668
My Buttero case arrived. 
I freakin LOVE this color - it satisfies some urge I have to surround myself in textured ochre.  It`s a little shiny at the moment, but I am looking forward to its aging process. . . 

I suspect some of you may find this color awful : don`t hold back !  I`m looking forward to any feedback, positive or negative.  

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #3,305 of 6,668
  Any recommnedations on balanced wires? thanks

Get some decent SPC and you'll be in business. Single ended -> Balanced makes a ton more difference that Wire A -> Wire B. I'm partial to the Heir Magnus/Noble stock cable as it is light, flexible SPC with 4 wires end to end - and pretty easy to solder. For a decidedly more expensive, but very nice option, I loooove my Linum SuperBax. Not that it brings magical audible changes compared to the Noble, but the comfort and feel of this cable is just amazing. (See also "Diminishing returns; Law of")

Having listened to my K10s with my iPhone for the past 2 weeks, I have decided to get the 100ii and man this thing is great! Still awaiting for my balanced cables to arrive but I already am blown away by the amount of details I am hearing from this player, initially I didn't thought that there would be such a huge sonic difference. Have a great weekend guys! 

Now imagine the soundstage opening nice and wide and everything tightening up while the bass hits harder (when called for)... K10 sure loves going balanced!

I received the Pelican 1030 that I ordered. The ak120ii fits, although a little tight at the knob. I also was able to fit a pair of Heir 3ai.
I think I might end up ordering the Lowepro case. Just not a big fan of how tight the fit is at the knob area.

Thanks a ton mate! Now I think I'll be going with the Lowepro case as well
beerchug.gif

My Buttero case arrived. 
I freakin LOVE this color - it satisfies some urge I have to surround myself in textured ochre.  It`s a little shiny at the moment, but I am looking forward to its aging process. . . 

I suspect some of you may find this color awful : don`t hold back !  I`m looking forward to any feedback, positive or negative.  

I could actually see that leather getting some beautiful patina over time, but WHY do they have to add the pattern? 
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #3,307 of 6,668
@Dopaminer do you have access to VanNuys bags in Japan? I just stumbled over this and I think I'm in love:

http://www.vannuys.co.jp/n_astell_kern_ak120II/type_a/index.html

This one would be pretty handy as well:

They actually have a whole slew of cases/holsters for the AK players, but my Japanese is a bit rusty... Do you know if the have some sort of presence outside of Japan? It looks like they make some very nice stuff...

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #3,308 of 6,668
Yeah, they are popular here.  This is my local shop`s page : lots more pics here:  

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000049567&search=ak120ii&sort=brandname

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #3,309 of 6,668
  Yeah, they are popular here.  This is my local shop`s page : lots more pics here:  

http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000049567&search=ak120ii&sort=brandname

I'm starting to think that it's actually a good thing that they don't have an English/international storefront... I'd buy just about everything they make. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #3,311 of 6,668
  I'm starting to think that it's actually a good thing that they don't have an English/international storefront... I'd buy just about everything they make. 

I assumed it was from the US : Van nuys is a famous california brand, isn`t it? 
Anyway, if you really want one PM me and Paypal me and I`ll send you one.  It`s only 10 euro, maybe another 10 for shipping....

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #3,312 of 6,668

I assumed it was from the US : Van nuys is a famous california brand, isn`t it? 
Anyway, if you really want one PM me and Paypal me and I`ll send you one.  It`s only 10 euro, maybe another 10 for shipping....

Thanks, but I think I actually just found The Perfect Case for the AK120II and a set of CIEMs:

http://acscustom.com/uk/product/acs-hard-leather-monitor-case/

It's a hard leather case from ACS customs. At £24, the only downside I can think of is the ACS logo - unless you have ACS customs, I guess 
smile.gif

I emailed and asked, the internal dimensions are 12x9x3 cm. Should be perfect for a DAP and a set of (C)IEMs.

Feb 6, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #3,313 of 6,668
  Thanks, but I think I actually just found The Perfect Case for the AK120II and a set of CIEMs:

http://acscustom.com/uk/product/acs-hard-leather-monitor-case/

It's a hard leather case from ACS customs. At £24, the only downside I can think of is the ACS logo - unless you have ACS customs, I guess 
smile.gif

I emailed and asked, the internal dimensions are 12x9x3 cm. Should be perfect for a DAP and a set of (C)IEMs.

Nice, much more attractive than a Pelican or S3 case, though nowhere near the protection, I guess there are always tradeoffs.

My 1964ears use a T2000 case from S3cases, the T3000 model looks like it would be perfect for the DAP and IEM's.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ENNR04/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3B7O2IMSZEQT4&coliid=I1SF7YZNXR5IXG&psc=1

As soon as I'm sure I will actually get my Ak120ii, there have been some shipping issues so far, I'll likely order one of these.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #3,314 of 6,668
  @Dopaminer do you have access to VanNuys bags in Japan? I just stumbled over this and I think I'm in love:

http://www.vannuys.co.jp/n_astell_kern_ak120II/type_a/index.html

This one would be pretty handy as well:

They actually have a whole slew of cases/holsters for the AK players, but my Japanese is a bit rusty... Do you know if the have some sort of presence outside of Japan? It looks like they make some very nice stuff...

I currently own a VanNuys, case for my AK100ii, it works great!

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3,315 of 6,668
@blur510 would be good if you can a/b. I actually preferred the ak120 vs ak240 in terms of sound. However the 240's gui did it for me as its much easy. The 120 had issue with tags, which aggravated me with my obsessive compulsive behavior. I still have both btw. I planned to mezzo the 120 but still can't pin down battery life after the mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back