Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
May 23, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #271 of 6,668
May 23, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #272 of 6,668
nope. $999

Then should I wait for the pono player for 400 and buy music for another 600 bucks?  decisions dec...
tongue.gif

May 23, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #273 of 6,668
Then should I wait for the pono player for 400 and buy music for another 600 bucks?  decisions dec...:p

Well there are differences. AK100II has more features e.g. bluetooth, wifi streaming, soon Qobus High res download and streaming.
So it depends if all that is worth the extra $$ to you? :p
if you can't wait then AK100MK2 is selling for around $700 or cheaper options like DX90 or X5

May 23, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #274 of 6,668
  More mud in the water as far as I'm concerned when it comes to me wanting to buy a new DAP.  I've been very interested in buying one of today's new DAP's, so I've read and read the threads on the AK's, Hifiman, iBasso's, and Fiio's in particular.  Invariably, about half way through the threads I realize the majority of posts relate to fixing quirks, understanding how the UI works, getting files properly loaded,  and constantly upgrading software to fix features that shouldn't be broken.  I originally felt that I was way behind the times with my iPod and CLAS, but at this point I no longer care, for I do not want to be a Beta tester, especially if to pay premium prices to be one. 

well,my ZX1 has none of that problem.

May 23, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #275 of 6,668
Jeez, would people be so riled if they had named the two new devices AK220 and AK230? I think not as much.

Much like Warren, I am more inclined to look at a device on it's individual merits and value to me, rather than comparing and contrasting the rest of the product range.

I would like to think that those who purchased the AK240 did so for what it offered them (SQ, feature set, etc, etc) at the time of purchase. Those reasons should still apply now.

The AK1200II looks like a great device and it's price point to feature set ratio seems to fit in nicely with the AK240, as does the AK100II fit nicely into the new range.

That said I am still considering purchasing the AK240 as it offers features and convenience I want and cannot find elsewhere. 

I accept Astell & Kern devices are a premium priced product, but they offer me an overall device that I have yet to find the equal to elsewhere and whilst that is the case I will continue to purchase and enjoy them.

And to those who seem to think anyone who purchases an AK device has been hypnotised... well you can do one! AK bashing seems to have become popular around these parts and it seems a little sad. 

I shall now put my tin hat on and return to my cave, whilst the bashing continues :wink:

May 23, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #276 of 6,668
Lots of good points are being made about their questionable pricing, but if consumers are unable to restrain themselves from overspending for their latest dap, is it really AK's fault? People who bought the 240 who are now complaining about its resale value being compromised by the MKIIs should have seen this coming after they released the AK100 II with a substantial mark-up. This seems like a lot of hand-wringing that can be avoided by a bit of self-discipline.

I for one think that the Geekwave DAPs look like a good value on paper (128gb on board memory + SDXC slot, user-replaceable battery, native DSD, and fully balanced output for $529 during presale), but they won't be available for nearly a year.

May 23, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #277 of 6,668
  Jeez, would people be so riled if they had named the two new devices AK220 and AK230? I think not as much.

And technically... they did.  The back plates are stamped AK200 and AK220.

That said, for those complaining their AK240 resale just dropped like a stone... who's sold theirs?  What was the old value, what do you think it is now because lower models exist?  If anything the price just raised because the next level down just jumped up in price and the top should never cost less than the lesser models.  Ie you might be able to get a new AK120II for $1800 but if you want my AK240 it's going to be more than that.  But again who sells their AK240?  What would you possibly upgrade to?

Using a car example.  The Corvette wasn't undervalued because the Camaro used its engine or transmission.  It was after all still a Corvette and despite the Camaro posting similar specs... it's not a Corvette.  Just saying.

May 23, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #280 of 6,668
Well a lot of people have been complaining about A&K from the start, but they have been doing pretty damn well haven't they? :) guess its just that people who arent happy make noise. Tonnes of people are happy with it :)

May 23, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #282 of 6,668
May 23, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #283 of 6,668

And technically... they did.  The back plates are stamped AK200 and AK220.

That said, for those complaining their AK240 resale just dropped like a stone... who's sold theirs?  What was the old value, what do you think it is now because lower models exist?  If anything the price just raised because the next level down just jumped up in price and the top should never cost less than the lesser models.  Ie you might be able to get a new AK120II for $1800 but if you want my AK240 it's going to be more than that.  But again who sells their AK240?  What would you possibly upgrade to?

Using a car example.  The Corvette wasn't undervalued because the Camaro used its engine or transmission.  It was after all still a Corvette and despite the Camaro posting similar specs... it's not a Corvette.  Just saying.

Just curious, if I can buy an AK240 at a show brand new for $2000 tax included, then what should a used Ak240 go for?

May 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #284 of 6,668
Out of show street price is $2200 so I would expect it to be in the $1900-$2000 range used in mint condition.

May 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #285 of 6,668
Not so much about riled up for the new models themselves or even their pricing. Nor it's about overspending... Is it really that hard to understand how you feel if you "overspent" $700 for not being an oracle and foresee you can spend $700 less for essentially the same sound?

I would love AK if I haven't bought ak240 at launch and full msrp and applaud them for "trickling down" tech and offer more value in the new models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back