Brand new - Zishan Z2 DSD Player- AK 4490 - Link to order, Firmware update. page 1
Sep 4, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #391 of 678
By the way, not sure if this has been already mentioned here, but one of the best and relatively easy mods one can do is to reduce voltage to 18v (from stock 24v).

I believe it makes sound a bit smoother, less distortion when using low-impedance IEMs (subjectively) and much, much cooler DAP.

It's achieved by soldering in 68kOhm resistor in parallel as per image below.

All credit goes to maxkur and Co from player.ru forum.

IMG_5855.jpg

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #392 of 678
First time charging Z2. I though that using DAC mode don't drain battery up?

How could we know Z2 is charging or not guys? I don't see any signal such as binking or flashing led
Do I have to switch on before charging?

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #395 of 678
Another take; I've yet never used the line out of neither z1 or z2, so the line out jack had to go to make room for a larger capacitor.

I used
2 x 220uF 16V Nichicon FG
1 x 2200uF 16V Nichicon KA

All are a tight fit in z2.

Completely subjective impressions are that the sound is clearer and therefore has better positioning and the background is darker. I remember I had the same impressions after putting FG in the z1. I cannot say if the 2200uF one has an effect at all, for example on bass, but I surely don't miss anything in the bass department.

I also bought 2 x 100uF 16V Nichicon ES, they are the exact same size as the FG. But I am afraid I will kill the z2 if I solder anymore, so I won't try those... I don't know which are more recommended, FG or ES, thats why I bought both.

Btw I very highly recommend hificollective when in the EU, very good prices, 3,60 € shipping for small packages and no fees besides that.

Edit: I am over the moon with the sound now.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #400 of 678
If I bought a Zishan Z2, I'd certainly want to leave the Line Output connector, so I can hook it to the Line Input on my Walnut F1 Amp. :ksc75smile:

I've already got 3 AK4490 DAPs (Shanling M1, M2s, & Cayin N3), so I don't really need another one - but, I do like that the Z2 will play my FLAC files (which my Walnut v2, and Zishan Z1 won't play).

In an unmodified condition, what are the differences in the sound between the Z1 & Z2?

Thanks,
David Baldock

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #401 of 678
If I bought a Zishan Z2, I'd certainly want to leave the Line Output connector, so I can hook it to the Line Input on my Walnut F1 Amp. :ksc75smile:

I've already got 3 AK4490 DAPs (Shanling M1, M2s, & Cayin N3), so I don't really need another one - but, I do like that the Z2 will play my FLAC files (which my Walnut v2, and Zishan Z1 won't play).

In an unmodified condition, what are the differences in the sound between the Z1 & Z2?

Thanks,
David Baldock
In that case, you could always sack the PO out instead :darthsmile:

I think there are different opinions about the difference. I heard z2 as being a bit brighter, clearer, smoother, more detailed and with better imaging than z1

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #402 of 678
Can the Z2 read, and play the tracks from, an M3U Playlist?

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #403 of 678
I've already got 3 AK4490 DAPs (Shanling M1, M2s, & Cayin N3), so I don't really need another one
Z2 could be brought into a completely different league by upgrading caps/opamp, I can honestly (well, and subjectively) say that my (modded) Z2 + F1 sound significantly better than M2s.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #404 of 678
Z2 could be brought into a completely different league by upgrading caps/opamp, I can honestly (well, and subjectively) say that my (modded) Z2 + F1 sound significantly better than M2s.

That's very interesting to hear - especially if the Z2 is capable of playing M3U Playlists... :slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back