Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001
Nov 7, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #196 of 308
My review here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-ap001-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/11884

I gave it a 2 and half stars.  Head-Fi's rating system shows this as a negative.  I prefer to see it as a neutral review (half of 5 = 2.5).  Anyway I couldn't really give it much more than that.  Thanks Audrey.  I hope your team eventually considers designing their own amps (rather than rebranding).  Personally I think your own engineers could do better than this.

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #197 of 308
  My review here : http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-ap001-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/11884

I gave it a 2 and half stars.  Head-Fi's rating system shows this as a negative.  I prefer to see it as a neutral review (half of 5 = 2.5).  Anyway I couldn't really give it much more than that.  Thanks Audrey.  I hope your team eventually considers designing their own amps (rather than rebranding).  Personally I think your own engineers could do better than this.

Great review as always. I agree fully with all of your points. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #198 of 308

its a rebrand of ?

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #202 of 308
If any of you guys having the AP001 also have got the Q701's give them a try together. Turns the Q's into bass cannons in a very good and interesting way. Been using the Geek Out720-AP001-Q701's for hours now and with music like Celldweller, Daft Punk, Pharell Williams and Dave Gahan it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #203 of 308
Thanks, thatBeatsguy!

Just realized I also have 350 points to use on their site from a pair of Brainwavz R1 that I bought from them a really long time ago. 
$21.02 
total for a pair of Deltas and an amp can't be bad. I'll sleep on it I guess haha.

Any other opinions?
the delta isn't half bad IMO if you use bi-Flanges.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #205 of 308
If any of you guys having the AP001 also have got the Q701's give them a try together. Turns the Q's into bass cannons in a very good and interesting way. Been using the Geek Out720-AP001-Q701's for hours now and with music like Celldweller, Daft Punk, Pharell Williams and Dave Gahan it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Oh wow. This would work great with the AKGs I'm looking to getting next year. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #206 of 308
HOT D'YAM!!! This lil' AP001 amp hooked onto my the Sansa Clip+ is crazy nice with my VSonic GR07 BEs.
basshead.gif

There was much more static/ background noise hooked up to my Nokia N9 along with some flabby bass bloat but this seems to be completely resolved on a rockboxed Clip+ with EQing the bass down a couple of notches (-3 to be exact) with volume at 0 to 2.

This thing is more transparent sounding to me than the FiiO E17 which i bought and sold twice. LMAO The E17 amp was a BIG meh for me, cuz its internal DAC sound quality was much more impressive than its amp section. In fact the Clip+ has also sounded a bit boring to me with its average soundstaging/ neutral-esque leaning 2D sound presentation, but this lil' AP001 seems to add some excitement to overall sound with improved 3D staging and bass quantity (when EQed down that is). Liking very much what i am hearing so far with this paring.

The straight 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stock connector that came with the AP001 is kinda crappy. The stock L-shape one from my Cayin C5 seems much better in quality....

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #207 of 308
Those with the AP001 that are experiencing issues with the auto power off, this is related to the output volume of your source gear. Generally anything less than 1/4 of your device volume level will turn the AP001 off, if you normally listen to volume levels higher than 1/4 volume or intend to use the AP001 with your specific device at a higher volume level then you should not see this happen. Our testing was on mostly standard devices like smartphones and standard media players (i.e. iPod, Clip, etc).

As the AP001 is now making its way into the wild we are bound to see people using these with other devices than the ones we tested with and with different output levels, if you find your AP001 cutting off when your source device is set to a volume higher than 1/4 its volume level then please post it on this thread what device is was and volume level, we will compile and publish a compatibility list.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #208 of 308
  Those with the AP001 that are experiencing issues with the auto power off, this is related to the output volume of your source gear. Generally anything less than 1/4 of your device volume level will turn the AP001 off, if you normally listen to volume levels higher than 1/4 volume or intend to use the AP001 with your specific device at a higher volume level then you should not see this happen. Our testing was on mostly standard devices like smartphones and standard media players (i.e. iPod, Clip, etc).

As the AP001 is now making its way into the wild we are bound to see people using these with other devices than the ones we tested with and with different output levels, if you find your AP001 cutting off when your source device is set to a volume higher than 1/4 its volume level then please post it on this thread what device is was and volume level, we will compile and publish a compatibility list.

^
Isn't the general rule for external amps to crank your source to max or 90% volume and adjust the volume levels on the amp instead of the source??? Plus that lil AP001 amp isn't THAT much more powerful than say your typical DAP. It just gives it like 2 to 3 more levels of extra power/volume from my experience so far.

It is just enough to drive my slightly harder to drive iems such as my VSonic gr07 BE which my weak sauce Nokia N9 internal can't drive so....

It's not THAT much more powerful than a rockboxed Sansa clip+ but makes it sound more exciting with the added fullness in staging/3Dness/bass. :  )

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #210 of 308

Thanks Raz

X5 with sensitive IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back