Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001
Nov 6, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #181 of 308
  Thanks, thatBeatsguy!

Just realized I also have 350 points to use on their site from a pair of Brainwavz R1 that I bought from them a really long time ago. 
$21.02 ​
total for a pair of Deltas and an amp can't be bad. I'll sleep on it I guess haha.
Any other opinions?

Well, you could also try the FiiO E6, which is a dedicated headphone amp with switchable bass boost and its own volume control. Features-wise it bests the AP001, but as I don't own both, I can't say for certain.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #182 of 308
  Yes
Yes 
Yes

For some reason if refuses to recognise my Clip+ 

Thanks David - it got really annoying today.  Also picks up interference from time to time with nearby electronics.

I'll probably write a review tonight.  Based on the unit I have, I wouldn't personally buy it.  Can see where people new to the hobby might quite like it though.  For the price you can't argue - but:
* Not configurable
* Prone to interference
* Electronics not reliable (based on yours and my samples).  I do know Brainwavz service is impeccable though - so they'd replace if anyone does get an iffy unit.

If it was me personally, I'd get the E6 for roughly similar price.  But I applaud Brainwavz for looking at this market.  Probably just need to be looking at their own designs so they can better control the quality.

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #184 of 308
  If it was me personally, I'd get the E6 for roughly similar price.  But I applaud Brainwavz for looking at this market.  Probably just need to be looking at their own designs so they can better control the quality.

I'm really hoping for that, especially since I saw an amp that looks just like this from a not-so-credible seller (I'm sure I posted a link a few pages back).

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #185 of 308
Huh?
After using my points that I have on my account + the 5% off coupon, the total would be $21.02 for me.

I believe he/she havent shopped yet there, yeah,bit of different way of asking for the thing that user wanted to know/ask.....tho. :D

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #186 of 308
I'm really hoping for that, especially since I saw an amp that looks just like this from a not-so-credible seller (I'm sure I posted a link a few pages back).

Thats why FiiO still a leader in budget amp/dac/dap as they design from the scratch on their own and deliver what we wanted.....than just re-branding. But I believe these issues can be sorted out in the near future batches by bwavz,by escalating to their OEM'er....not a bad move by bwavz targeting entry level amp territory.....

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #187 of 308
Update - think I've figured out the issue.

With really sensitive IEMs, and keeping the source at quite a low volume, I don't think the amp is actually realising there is a signal there.  Which is why it's not starting when plugged.  As soon as I increase volume on the source, it kicks in.  This also makes sense because when i was unplugging and plugging, it was causing a sonic 'pop' which was obviously also causing the amp to power up.

The reason I think it was cutting out is for basically same underlying issue.  Not enough source volume (otherwise listening is too loud).  So after it's predetermined cut-off period, it switches itself off (thinking there is no signal).

I'll know later tonight - because I'm using it again with the iPhone 5S and T1s (ok stop that laughing in the background !).  This actually sounds pretty good.  I have to work tonight anyway - so I'll leave it playing for a couple of hours to see if that is the issue.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #188 of 308
Thats why FiiO still a leader in budget amp/dac/dap as they design from the scratch on their own and deliver what we wanted.....than just re-branding. But I believe these issues can be sorted out in the near future batches by bwavz,by escalating to their OEM'er....not a bad move by bwavz targeting entry level amp territory.....

Exactly. FiiO does deisgn all of their own amps, so we can be sure of more consistent QC.

However, something to note is what Brainwavz could do. In teh past, they used to simply release rebrands of both IEMs and headphones (i.e. B2, HM3, and HM5). Lately though, they've been releasing their very own stuff after that age, with the S series, the R series, and the recent HM9. Seeing their direction with their releases, it wouldn't be a surprise to see them come out with their own designs.

It could be that Brainwavz is looking to use this AP001 as a sort of stepping stone to help them get some traction onto the portable amp market. Again, this wouldn't be a surprise. It's a pretty good entrance, though.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #189 of 308
OK - an hour in with the T1's and the higher source volume level - and no cut-outs at all.

So I'd suggest if you're having similar issues with a very sensitive IEM, the fix is to use something that requires a bit more gain/volume.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #193 of 308

Originally Posted by Salsera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
  I wonder when MP4Nation will start shipping the ap001

Already started! :)

"Ask and ye shall receive," as they say. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back