Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001
Nov 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #211 of 308
  HOT D'YAM!!! This lil' AP001 amp hooked onto my the Sansa Clip+ is crazy nice with my VSonic GR07 BEs.
basshead.gif

There was much more static/ background noise hooked up to my Nokia N9 along with some flabby bass bloat but this seems to be completely resolved on a rockboxed Clip+ with EQing the bass down a couple of notches (-3 to be exact) with volume at 0 to 2.

This thing is more transparent sounding to me than the FiiO E17 which i bought and sold twice. LMAO The E17 amp was a BIG meh for me, cuz its internal DAC sound quality was much more impressive than its amp section. In fact the Clip+ has also sounded a bit boring to me with its average soundstaging/ neutral-esque leaning 2D sound presentation, but this lil' AP001 seems to add some excitement to overall sound with improved 3D staging and bass quantity (when EQed down that is). Liking very much what i am hearing so far with this paring.

The straight 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stock connector that came with the AP001 is kinda crappy. The stock L-shape one from my Cayin C5 seems much better in quality....

AP001 is VERY sensitive to EMI, and thus not suitable for use with smartphones.  I was just running a few tests.  Plugged in to X5 (HO of course), and fast forwarding through a song or idling - I hear just added background white noise from AP001.  Put my Note 4 an inch away from X5 and in addition to background noise get a lot of random EMI pops and clicks.  I'm aware this is re-branded design so Brainwavz is not in a control of the respin, but adding a simple EMI shielding inside of the module would easily take care of that.  Plus, a few caps to filter internal power supply feed will take care of background noise :wink:

Other than that, I'm really digging this little guy!!!  An excellent sound booster with a permanent extra bass boost.  The bass boost is actually well controlled without spilling into lower mids, adds a bit of warmth to overly bright IEMs.  What I found surprising, testing it with Altone200 it not just improved bass to my liking (I always crave for more bass!!!), but also tighten up upper mids and leveled it off in comparison to low end.  From my experience, I found Altone200 to be too bright for my ears (upper mids/lower treble were piercing my eardrums) so I had to play around with a volume to lower it down to a comfortable level.  Doing that brings more bass upfront and makes mids perception to be recessed.  So, I had to constantly play around with a volume level to find that sweet spot.  With AP001 added in the chain, I can raise the volume up and maintain a great balance between bass and tolerable level of upper mids/treble.  Really enjoying that!!!  And as others pointed out, AP001 is more suitable for brighter IEMs rather than darker ones.  It doesn't pair up well with S0.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #212 of 308
Sounds like I'll probably put some velcro on the back of it and just attach it to my Clip+ and call it a day.  That way, I can easily swap it out for the E6 if I'm wanting something without a bass boost.

Nov 8, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #216 of 308
  Sounds like I'll probably put some velcro on the back of it and just attach it to my Clip+ and call it a day.  That way, I can easily swap it out for the E6 if I'm wanting something without a bass boost.

^
... both are pretty damn tiny and light as a feather.

... taped to the back. Gonna need some velcro. : P

... a different perspective. :wink:

... sonic jet pack on the back of my Clip+. :  )

... lovely combo indeed.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #217 of 308
I got this in the mail yesterday and I must say I'm relatively pleased with it.Yes, it's as basic as it gets when it comes to amps, but is serviceable. However, the Brainwavz R3 I received along with the amp is not so pleasing. The darn thing is defective; left earpiece plays at a lower volume and is slightly distorted. I'm gonna have to send it back for a replacement. It's my first time buying directly through MP4Nation's website. I hope they do not ask me to pay for shipping cause that would be ridiculous since it was defective out of the box. Anyone had any experience with their customer service?

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #219 of 308
  I got this in the mail yesterday and I must say I'm relatively pleased with it.Yes, it's as basic as it gets when it comes to amps, but is serviceable. However, the Brainwavz R3 I received along with the amp is not so pleasing. The darn thing is defective; left earpiece plays at a lower volume and is slightly distorted. I'm gonna have to send it back for a replacement. It's my first time buying directly through MP4Nation's website. I hope they do not ask me to pay for shipping cause that would be ridiculous since it was defective out of the box. Anyone had any experience with their customer service?

Hey there,
Can you try cleaning the audio jack of the R3 and make sure they are getting a good seal? If the problem is not solved, open a support ticket and we'll arrange a replacement to be sent over.

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #220 of 308

Hey there,
Can you try cleaning the audio jack of the R3 and make sure they are getting a good seal? If the problem is not solved, open a support ticket and we'll arrange a replacement to be sent over.

Hi, the audio jack has been cleaned, and the seal is as good as it can get. When I pull the headphones out, I can feel a ton if suction in my ear, so its definitely not a problem with the seal. The headphones are defective. I've also tried them on many difference sources, and its the same. I must say I'm pretty disappointed. Oddly enough, the invoice found on the Fedex envelope described them as a pair of "sample" headphones with the price being quoted as only worth $20. Was I shipped a sample unit? I also noticed that there's a bit of glue on the exterior of the earpieces. Needless to say, I'm not too impressed by the build quality of these headphones. Anyway, I've already filled out a support ticket. Here's my ticket ID: GCP-53242. I would appreciate it if you can expedite the replacement process. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #221 of 308
  Hi, the audio jack has been cleaned, and the seal is as good as it can get. When I pull the headphones out, I can feel a ton if suction in my ear, so its definitely not a problem with the seal. The headphones are defective. I've also tried them on many difference sources, and its the same. I must say I'm pretty disappointed. Oddly enough, the invoice found on the Fedex envelope described them as a pair of "sample" headphones with the price being quoted as only worth $20. Was I shipped a sample unit? I also noticed that there's a bit of glue on the exterior of the earpieces. Needless to say, I'm not too impressed by the build quality of these headphones. Anyway, I've already filled out a support ticket. Here's my ticket ID: GCP-53242. I would appreciate it if you can expedite the replacement process. 

No, you were not sent a sample unit... All our packages are marked with a $20 value (to avoid them being stuck at customs).
Customer service will get back to you within 1 working day.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #224 of 308
Well done Audrey.  Brainwavz service is impeccable - as always.  Impressive 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back