Brainwavz M2 - The "Fun" IEM
Jun 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AFRUITPIE

New Head-Fier

[size=12.0pt]For sixty dollars, it is very hard to expect much from any IEM. IEMs have been underwhelming for me in my short time as an audio enthusiast. The IEMs that I have tried generally have overly prominent mids, muddy lows, and nonexistent highs. The Brainwavz M2 brought something different to the table. They’re fun to listen to, very durable, and affordable for everyone![/size]

[size=12pt]BUILD AND DESIGN[/size]

[size=12.0pt]In my opinion, the design of the M2 looks strikingly similar to that of the Skullcandy Titan. I wouldn’t say that they’re ugly, but they aren’t winning any beauty contests either. Since the design of the M2 is so similar to the Skullcandy Titan, it doesn’t portray the, “serious audiophile IEM” that I like.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]I wasn’t a huge fan about the design of the M2, but I was very impressed by the rugged build quality. The 3.5mm jack and the buds are made out of a tough plastic. The matte finishes on those plastic pieces prevent any scratches from forming. The cable is made to be tangle-proof, and it does a fantastic job. Unfortunately, the tangle-proof cable does like to hold its shape in a similar way that a pipe cleaner does. [/size]

[size=12pt]SOUND[/size]

[size=12.0pt]The highs in the M2 are decent. They aren’t as sharp and defined as I like them to be, but they impressed me for being in a budget IEM. Crash cymbals were the only disappointing part of the highs, sometimes sounding muffled and too distant. Overall, the highs were very mellow and relaxed.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]The midrange is what the M2 does best. The place where rock music really shines, the electric guitar, is always the most prominent part of the M2’s sound signature. The electric guitar almost always overpowers the rest of the song, which is why the M2 is not a balanced IEM, but a “fun” one.[/size]

[size=12.0pt]The lows in the M2 did not impress me. Bass drum hits were very bloated, and sounded much like the lower range in the Monster Turbine. However, when there is a lot of ambient noise around you (on a bus, plane, crowded street, etc.) the lower range feels a little less bloated and a lot more seismic and smooth. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]Overall, the sound signature in the M2 is “fun.” It’s not crisp, analytical, or balanced, but have a listening experience that an average consumer can enjoy. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]FINAL THOUGHTS[/size]

[size=12.0pt]The M2 changed my perspective on budget IEMs. They have a great build quality, and sound pretty good for the price. They don’t blow me away, but I definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a relatively cheap IEM that will last for a long time. Thank you to Mr. Shenoy from Brainwavz for giving me the opportunity to try out the M2. [/size]

[size=12.0pt]I'm a very new audio enthusiast, and any constructive criticism on this review would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! [/size]

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 10
The M2's were my first serious IEM, i loved them at first. Then i kept trying other things and eventually ended up buying more expensive gear like HD650's and an $800 amp/dac. Now i am enjoying a pair of Audio Technica CKM500 in ears just from an iPhone 4. These CKM500's can be had for about $70 and are definitely a few steps ahead of the M2's in sound quality. The M2's were fun though for a while.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 10
Totally agree with AFRUITPIE. My thoughts are pretty much the same, but I don't listen to a lot of Rock so I can't comment here. These do sound great but for probably a little disappointing for hiphop, dance, and dubstep. (Funny 'cause its the complete opposite from a review on MP4nation.)

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 10
While we're on dual BAs, what are the other options?

Fischer Audio DBA02 II
VSONIC GR01
TDK BA200

I know there's numerous others, but they seem to be from a couple years ago. The only BA I have at this time is the A151. I heard a demo of the Sony XBA-3 (way too expensive at a retail price of $300), but it really made me remember what a BA sounds like and I'd never heard one with 3 drivers before! Made me want to look into the duals again.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
While we're on dual BAs, what are the other options?

Fischer Audio DBA02 II
VSONIC GR01
TDK BA200

I know there's numerous others, but they seem to be from a couple years ago. The only BA I have at this time is the A151. I heard a demo of the Sony XBA-3 (way too expensive at a retail price of $300), but it really made me remember what a BA sounds like and I'd never heard one with 3 drivers before! Made me want to look into the duals again.

The M2 is not a BA but a dynamic. You are thinking of the B2 which there is another thread for.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Oh you're right I keep mixing them up, sorry 
ph34r.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 10
I love my M2's. They were actually my "first" real IEMs. I really hate the stiff cable. It flares out and it gets quite annoying. I've been trying to find a better M2's. I agree on the low's though. I wanted something with great lows but the mid really shines more.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Does anyone know how these compare to the GR06? I have the Brainwavz M2, and find that they're OK w/ comply tips and turning up the treble a bit.
The bass is still kind of bloated though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back