Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #916 of 1,431
Which part of the comply get trimmed? Is it the part that reaches into the ear, or at the base?

Jul 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #917 of 1,431
Quote:
Thats is probably caused by the resonance happening inside your ear canal, take a look at the first few paragraphs of this thread:http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

No, I'm 100% sure it's not resonance. The resonating frequency in our ear canal is around 3kHz based on the average diameter of 6mm and length of 27mm.

http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-20k.php

Anyone is welcome to check the (logarithmic) sweep from the above link.

The graph comfirms what I heard, except the high energy just kept going up (probably because we are most sensitive to 2-4kHz as the equal loadness curve indicates)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540222/brainwavz-b2-impressions-discussion-thread/765#post_8457082

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #918 of 1,431
Quote:
No, I'm 100% sure it's not resonance. The resonating frequency in our ear canal is around 3kHz based on the average diameter of 6mm and length of 27mm.

The graph comfirms what I heard, except the high energy just kept going up (probably because we are most sensitive to 2-4kHz as the equal loadness curve indicates)

Are you saying that the resonating frequency in our ear canal is around 3khz because the equal loudness curve shows that we are most sensitive to 2-4khz? I'm pretty sure that resonance have nothing to do with the equal loudness curve and it can happen to the higher frequency.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #919 of 1,431

Which part of the comply get trimmed? Is it the part that reaches into the ear, or at the base?

The foam that goes past the core. The.. overhanging? pieces of it. The foam should end up being flush with the core after the trimming.

Quote:

http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-20k.php

Anyone is welcome to check the (logarithmic) sweep from the above link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/540222/brainwavz-b2-impressions-discussion-thread/765#post_8457082

Have you tried changing the tips to something that reaches the second bend in your ear? I found my B2s to be incredibly shrill with stock tips.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #920 of 1,431
Quote:

Try to reverse them at first before you perform any kind of surgical trimming, it's basically to counteract that the foam closes around the nozzle when inserted into your ears when using the comply's in a normal way, otherwise it would be the front part that would need trimming.

I personally get a better fit and a better sound experience when I just revert them, but I also can  anticipate that trimming a slight part of the stalk inside the comply foam could help bringing the nozzle/driver close to the eardrum.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #921 of 1,431
Quote:
Are you saying that the resonating frequency in our ear canal is around 3khz because the equal loudness curve shows that we are most sensitive to 2-4khz? I'm pretty sure that resonance have nothing to do with the equal loudness curve and it can happen to the higher frequency.

No, it is consistent with the equal loudness curve, but not derived from it.

When I was thinking of making a measuring rig simulate the effects of our ear canal, I researched the average measurements of the human ear canal, and plugged the numbers into the this calculator. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/opecol2.html#c1

And I just found this link to explain it a bit more.
http://www.audiosonica.com/en/course/post/18/Perception_of_sound_Human_ear

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #922 of 1,431
Quote:
While I can't comment on the GR07, I do own the GR04 Flagship ( 50 Ohm impedance). Bass is great as a dynamic should be. I'm still burning them in. Pretty surprising change in first 100 hrs, went from bloated bass to sibilant treble. I'm hoping an additional 50-100 hrs cure this. I have some pretty stellar IEM's in my stable but for the money they're awesome ( $53 shipped from lendmeurears). But we're getting off topic. This is a Brainwavz thread.

Thanks for replaying, I end up buying these red guys, mostly because they were cheaper (less money I mean) and because I read that the b2 are more exciting that the GR07, but I bet that all of the VSonic iems are great at their respective price level.
Quote:
Just a little FYI: All the B2 preorders have shipped out, those who got free Fedex should start to receive their B2 unit as early as today. We also increased the number of silicone tips included with B2 to 6 pairs and changed the plug to a L plug, this should reduce the chance of cable fatigue at the plug.

Awesome, I like a straight plug more than those angled, but I hope that the angled one helps with the durability, 6 tips are great too.
Quote:
Uhhh. Weird problem with my order. It got here this morning. Package looked good. Opened it up. Box looked good. Had the wrap on it. But no B2 in the little window. Opened it up ... no IEMs. There was a warranty card, a case, four tips (and more tips in the case), but the actual IEMs were not there.

I emailed customer service but I guess there could be a chance they don't believe me? Blah. This is a weird situation ..

I would be very angry if this happened to me, good to hear that it's been worked out.
Quote:
I'd be willing to pay 10$ more dollars for the B2 is it came with a pair of earhooks. The cable, from what I've read, is very prone to stiffening and these were made definitely for wearing over the ear. I might get a pair from V-MODA.

I am worry about the stiffening as well, its the only thing that worries me about build quality. I think I will end up doing some DIY recabling
Quote:
Hi. Has anyone received their pre ordered Brainwavz b2 from mp4nation. I have received mine and for me, i think the sound quality is really bad. the previous earphones i had were apple earphones and another 30$ iem but after hearing the brainwavz b2 , I was not impressed at all although the b2 costs much higher. Does anyone else's earphones also sound like crap? thanks.

You must be getting a bad fit or a bad unit, because these red fellas are the best sounding iem I have ever listen, apple buds sounds worse than some generic radioshack iems I used to own.
Quote:
Yup, high end earphones aren't for everyone. Many (audiophile) head-fiers are treble-heads and they want enhanced details which usually come from high frequencies.

Yeah, I believe that if it sounds good it will sound good to anyone, but I could be wrong, as hearing it's as subjective as tasting or smelling something..
Quote:
Since the SM3 MSRP is 4 times more than the preorder price of the B2, I'd expect them to be a step up.  That said, I find it hard to believe that the SM3 is $300 better.
regular_smile%20.gif

But congrats on owning two nice pairs of IEMs....

^ +1
Quote:

I cannot stress this enough: get a good seal. The difference to me when I finally got good tips was abysmal. Some Sony Hybrids or any tip that you know to work for you.

I'm listening to Coltrane's My Favorite Things and it's just amazing. The cymbals really extend up, the upper mids from the tenor saxophone are so natural. Every transaction from one note to the other isn't mushed up. Well that's as much prose as I can output at this point, I need more time with them.

Exactly, the b2 are the more seal/fit dependant iem I ever heard, with poor fit, they will sound harsh and without bass.
Quote:
Nobody ever reads threads anymore.  Every newb needs to ask the same questions about the same problems that have been asked and answered over and over again....
frown.gif

Sorry for no being a  
badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1305918899.png
 who knows everything, I know that most questions have been already answered in other threads, but still......

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #923 of 1,431
Quote:
The foam that goes past the core. The.. overhanging? pieces of it. The foam should end up being flush with the core after the trimming.

Have you tried changing the tips to something that reaches the second bend in your ear? I found my B2s to be incredibly shrill with stock tips.

Yup.. Trim the foam 'overhang' down to the plastic core. Trim it flat.
This will still allow for a very good deep seal without any attenuation of the highs.

If you find the B2 to be a bit 'shrill'... don't trim, and it will cut back on those highs just a bit.

Shure olives are similar, but don't require the trimming... usually. But I have issues with the length (just a bit too short). Though they are my #2.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #924 of 1,431
Quote:
I doubt there's much difference in objective SQ between SM3 and B2. Joker gave SM3 a 9.4 and B2 a 9.2.

A huge difference, actually. The B2 and SM3 sound nothing alike. And one of the few instances where I strongly disagree with |joker|.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #925 of 1,431
KmhK; Jupiterknight; shane55 --- Thanks for the trimming info! 
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #927 of 1,431
few days with them now, still really dont like them (in no way are they better than the pfe in any area and they also are even further behind the sm3)   up for sale some point this week.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #928 of 1,431
I'm using a Sansa Fuze with all V0 LAME encoded mp3s. Off the bat I notice that some albums sound dynamic, involving, and some sound flat, compressed, boring, FM-radioish. I now find myself listening to music that sounds great and staying away from the music that sounds bad. In one word I might call the B2's "revealing". 

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #930 of 1,431
Quote:
What tips are everyone using?

How do they affect the sound?

I only use Comply P-Series (large). I use them on all of my IEM's as I can't tolerate anything but foamies.
Shure black olives next, but rare (for the reasons stated above).

Trimmed, they have no effect on the sound.

As for the B2 being revealing... oh yeah. If you have bad sources (rips, files, compressions, amp, dac... whatever in your chain), it will make that very apparent. You'll start longing for high-res...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back