Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 21, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #901 of 1,431
I doubt there's much difference in objective SQ between SM3 and B2. Joker gave SM3 a 9.4 and B2 a 9.2.

When it comes to preference, even a HTF600 is "better" than HD600. (see here)

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #902 of 1,431
My impression of B2: Yes, it reminded me of M4 (mostly mids). Then, I noticed it has very adequate amount of bass quantity, similar to HM5's. The bass is tight, punchy and fast, compared to my HM5. There's nothing much to write home about in the midrange; there's more authority in HM5's vocals and the mids are more "intimate" than the B2's in spite of HM5's much bigger soundstage and airyness. The highs are just the way many have described - aggressive and emphansized. Personally, I don't have any problems with that, and I also enjoy the sparkles very much. However, when I tried the frequency sweep, I couldn't believe the amount of energy there is in the 7-8kHz region. It was almost deafening such that I needed to turn the volume way down. The treble energy seems to keep increasing from around 3kHz and peaks at around 8kHz, then quickly rolls off thereafter. The treble can be problematic for some, when one uses B2 to watch movies or play games, because gunshots and explosions are overwhelming and edgy (realistic?).

In short, B2 is perfect for you if you love detail, don't mind treble and appreciate nice controlled bass. It is crisp and clear. I really like it.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #903 of 1,431
Me, too.

Brainwavz B2 cable got me busted last night, lol. I don't tell my wife about my IEM's and a black cable from one or the other is indistinguishable to her. I came home wearing B2's and she remarked, "That wire! It looks like the string they tie cake boxes with at the bakery." 
redface.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #904 of 1,431
Quote:
btw what i meant about the bad sound quality was that although it was clear, the sound was kinda like a treble enhanced sound which sounds really harsh to the ears if u guys know what i mean. thanks.

Yes I know what you mean but this sounds good to me.

Treble could be toned down just a little bit, but overall I really like em.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #906 of 1,431
Jul 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #907 of 1,431
Quote:
btw what i meant about the bad sound quality was that although it was clear, the sound was kinda like a treble enhanced sound which sounds really harsh to the ears if u guys know what i mean. thanks.

I cannot stress this enough: get a good seal. The difference to me when I finally got good tips was abysmal. Some Sony Hybrids or any tip that you know to work for you.

I'm listening to Coltrane's My Favorite Things and it's just amazing. The cymbals really extend up, the upper mids from the tenor saxophone are so natural. Every transaction from one note to the other isn't mushed up. Well that's as much prose as I can output at this point, I need more time with them.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #908 of 1,431
how do u get a good seal? ive tried almost all the tips including the foam tips. i also tried wearing the earphone over the ear and straight down and pushing the earphones as deep as i could. or do u suggest i can get another type of tips? or maybe try to listen for one week and get used to the sound?

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #909 of 1,431
You can tell when you get a good seal, usually you instinctively just know. I'd say get a pack of Hybrid tips. If you have tried everything and didn't notice a big change then maybe the B2 just aren't for you, but if you plan on buying good IEMs in the future, the Hybrids are amongst the best silicone tips you can get.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #911 of 1,431
Nobody ever reads threads anymore.  Every newb needs to ask the same questions about the same problems that have been asked and answered over and over again....
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #912 of 1,431
I re-read Brooko's review of the B2's and he likes Shure Olives on them, which he says fit on the nozzle well. Isolation, he says, is enhanced. I figure it should also tame highs to a degree.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #913 of 1,431
Quote:
Nobody ever reads threads anymore.  Every newb needs to ask the same questions about the same problems that have been asked and answered over and over again....
frown.gif

*nods* It's unfortunate, but that's the nature of the beast.  Threads are mountains of useless and useful posts snowed upon each other.  The wikis don't help since there are only about 10 of them.  We don't have stickies on head-fi, and for all the helpful guides people like Joker have made, they too get lost if not bumped every once in a while.  His is probably a bad example because it's bumped every day.  Recently I found a really helpful K1K compendium of knowledge / posts / articles from way back in the day, and it's sitting unused in the catacombs of head-fi.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #914 of 1,431
Quote:

...We don't have stickies on head-f

We actually do! :p And they're quite useful. Not to detract from your main point, however, since they're kind of sparse.

People forget about within-thread searches sometimes...

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #915 of 1,431
As others have said many times in this and the Fischer DBA-02 thread, the right tips, a good seal and deep insertion are particularly important with this IEM. Shane55 loves trimmed Comply tips with his, I've had great results with Shure grey "soft flex", and I'm now using large double flange tips (like a big Ety triple flange with the smallest flange cut off). My DBA's are now over two years old, on their third cable (Westone EPICS MIC), and sounding as fantastic as ever.

That said, the B-2/DBA-02 sound signature is not "best" for everyone. I spent some quality time with JVC FXT90's for several months, and really enjoyed them with their dynamic driver characteristics but their mid-bass hump feels more colored than I prefer on many tracks. But I know that many like that trait in their music. BTW, their mids and treble have nice similarities to the B-2/DBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back