Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 22, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #661 of 1,431
I'm not sure if the two products are in the same class, but I was wondering how the B2's compare to SE425's. From the reviews I've read they both have some of the same pro's, but there is a fair price gap. Am i doing it wrong?

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #662 of 1,431
I've had both for an extended amount of time.  SE425's have better build & detachable cables.  Se425's IMO have smoother mids - which are also more forward.  Bass is more pronounced on the SE425 but is quite balanced - but it doesn't extend quite as well as the B2.  SE425 has more mid-bass.  SE425 has rolled off highs though.

B2 has far better highs, a good mid-range, and bass that surprises in clarity and extension - but because of the highs, appears recessed.  Mid-bass is not strong IMO.

Both have strong points.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #663 of 1,431

Quote:
I've had both for an extended amount of time.  SE425's have better build & detachable cables.  Se425's IMO have smoother mids - which are also more forward.  Bass is more pronounced on the SE425 but is quite balanced - but it doesn't extend quite as well as the B2.  SE425 has more mid-bass.  SE425 has rolled off highs though.

B2 has far better highs, a good mid-range, and bass that surprises in clarity and extension - but because of the highs, appears recessed.  Mid-bass is not strong IMO.

Both have strong points.

Thanks for that info!! It will be a tough decision, but this gives me something to go off :)

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #664 of 1,431

Quote:
Thanks for the response Raz, the 3.5mm plug is perfectly clean as is the port and I'm not sure what you mean by cable fraying so I took a few pics of the B2s.  I took two of the end, since it seems the problem might be coming from there because if I fiddle around with the end, the full sound will come in and out, but i can't get it to stay

Sounds like one of the soldered joints as come lose where the cable is soldered into the jack. By pushing on the cable in a particular direction you can make the wire connect again which is why fiddling with the end makes them come good.

Since you have only had them a short while, look to get them replaced. I have a set of AD700 Audio Technicas and I have been through 4 or 5 jacks on them. Each time a soldered joint goes I buy another 3.5mm jack for a few dollars and replace it, it takes about 5 min to do but you need a soldering iron to do it yourself. Considering the money you spend on headphones, its definitely a worthwhile skill to master.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #665 of 1,431
Quote:

Sounds like one of the soldered joints as come lose where the cable is soldered into the jack. By pushing on the cable in a particular direction you can make the wire connect again which is why fiddling with the end makes them come good.

Since you have only had them a short while, look to get them replaced. I have a set of AD700 Audio Technicas and I have been through 4 or 5 jacks on them. Each time a soldered joint goes I buy another 3.5mm jack for a few dollars and replace it, it takes about 5 min to do but you need a soldering iron to do it yourself. Considering the money you spend on headphones, its definitely a worthwhile skill to master.

+1 on the ease and value of repairing connectors yourself. I've done three so far - gets easier each time. Amazon sells the replacement connectors and tools.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #666 of 1,431
I emailed Raz about this already, so I'm waiting on a reply.  I was wondering if anyone else knew where I could purchase some spare silicone tips (smalls) that came with the B2.  Those seemed to seal the best for me after testing several tips (Sony Hybrid, Hybrid clones, MEE A151 stock tips, Comply tips that come with it...)  Nothing seems to seal better than the stock tips. 

Right now, the stem on my tips aren't as stiff anymore and don't stay on the B2s.  When I remove the B2s, the tips stay deep in my ear and are a pain to remove.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #667 of 1,431

Quote:
I emailed Raz about this already, so I'm waiting on a reply.  I was wondering if anyone else knew where I could purchase some spare silicone tips (smalls) that came with the B2.  Those seemed to seal the best for me after testing several tips (Sony Hybrid, Hybrid clones, MEE A151 stock tips, Comply tips that come with it...)  Nothing seems to seal better than the stock tips. 

Right now, the stem on my tips aren't as stiff anymore and don't stay on the B2s.  When I remove the B2s, the tips stay deep in my ear and are a pain to remove.

Try the Shure 'olives' - brilliant seal, long lasting

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #669 of 1,431

Definitely agree that Shure Olives work great with the B2.  They also improve the sound by adding noticeably more bass and taming the treble (which I thought they had far too much of anyway).

I second the second!

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #670 of 1,431
I prefer to use silicone tips, it's just my preference of tips.  They are less of a hassle to insert on the go.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #671 of 1,431
B2's just arrived. Thus far no surprises. Which is a good thing.

I guess I'll post my thoughts on them if I end up having any.

Probably something to do with tips since the Complys are on the small side for me.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #672 of 1,431
Had a similar problem with the tips being left in my ear. A simple solution is to put some sticky tape around the nozzle to get a tighter fit so the tips are more secure

Quote:

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #674 of 1,431
Quote:

I use Shure grey soft flex on my DBA-02's. Same set have been very secure on the nozzles for over a year. Use the same size as fits from the OEM tips.

I tried Olives on the DBA's and didn't notice any improvement in SQ, and I didn't like the amount of force required to remove them.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #675 of 1,431
I have also just received my B2s and have been listening since yesterday. Construction feels kind of cheap compare to my Panasonic RP-HJE900 but it is more comfortable and a lot lighter. So far I like how it sounds and it is a good complement to Panasonic. The bass seemed to improve a bit more through burning them in overnight, but I didn't have a problem how it sounded originally. I'm not sure how these could be consider bass light by some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back